Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Insurance - Warning

Views : 1726

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2017, 09:00   #11
benr7310
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
A friend I go boating with drowned his £50,000 Lexus hybrid when launching on a beach, LV couldn't have been better dealing with the claim. They had him in a brand new like for like in less than a month with a loan car until it was ready.
They were also great with my flood claim. We now have both cars insured with them.
Just depend on who they have dealing with the case.
For me they failed to notify me of a request for information from the other party which had a 6 week deadline. This resulted in me receiving a court summons.

They also messed my dad about when a bus knocked his wind mirror off and their authorised repaired wouldn't collect the vehicle until £100 refundable excess was paid directly to them. When calling LV they confirmed this was fine and he would get it back and then tried to tell him it was non refundable.

My partners dad had someone pull out a junction into his rear quarter and they tried to settle 50/50. Case was ongoing for well over a year.

Ex-S40 Sport 2.0d with 180bhp & 300lbft

Last edited by benr7310; Aug 16th, 2017 at 09:06.
benr7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 09:56   #12
844PHW
Master Member

If it is written into the policy conditions, you may have no choice but to use a non-volvo repairer and non-volvo parts (or pay a contribution to make up the difference in cost).
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 14:44   #13
Chief inspector
Master Member

I recently had a claim, not in the Volvo, we could get it repaired anywhere, but it has a higher excess, only about £150 or so, didn't bother and in the end their own approved repairer used all genuine parts anyway, even the windscreen.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 15:32   #14
Grimble
Grimble

Cant complain about LV. Was rear ended last year. No problems whatsoever and would recommend anybody to at least get a quote of them at renewal.

Always use the meercat and find that LV are close to cheapest each time. If its less than a tenner difference I wont jump, but anything more gets a phonecall to pricematch, which they usually can do.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 18:30   #15
Deadloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
If it is written into the policy conditions, you may have no choice but to use a non-volvo repairer and non-volvo parts (or pay a contribution to make up the difference in cost).
I think you'll find the cannot enforce this, but they can refuse to return the excess. Under the law you are entitled to use whoever you want.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 18:33   #16
benr7310
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadloak View Post
I think you'll find the cannot enforce this, but they can refuse to return the excess. Under the law you are entitled to use whoever you want.
There is usually a surcharge in the ts&cs for using someone other than their preferred repaired.

Ex-S40 Sport 2.0d with 180bhp & 300lbft
benr7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 00:35   #17
bigcj

Default Complaint outcome

My complaint is now concluded and I will not be renewing with VOI. Firstly on the issue of other companies allowing your vehicle to be repaired by a Volvo main dealer I have only had time to check with 2 companies. Direct Line no problem using a main dealer but you could loose entitlement to a courtesy although this is dependent on blame. Aviva stated you can have the vehicle repaired at main dealer but they charge an additional £200 excess that may be recovered from 3rd party if appropriate to blame. As previously stated my dealer stated that they would only use new genuine parts to repair and they have never been asked by any insurance company to use recycled or non Volvo parts.
As far as VOI are concerned following my conversion with a manager I suspect they will continue to use this misinformation tactic to influence customers when taking out a policy with them or renewing, playing on our desire for our treasured Volvo's to be repaired to a high standard. I will await the written reply before deciding on my next action.
I hope this has been useful and I appreciate the comments added to my post.
bigcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 15:37   #18
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Recently having to make a claim through Aviva, I can confirm there is an "additional non-approved repairer" excess of £200. 10 years and almost all policies with Aviva and I didn't read the fine print.

I had to suck it up as I wanted it repaired by Volvo.

Aviva insists on using an outfit called Solus ARC which lo & behold is owned by them.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 155mph For This Useful Post: