Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problems with classicswede

Views : 41271

Replies : 149

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2012, 00:14   #21
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
It sounds like the tank manufacturer needs a very firm slap. Never heard of a tank leaking before, and it's not at all funny.

cheers

James
Not funny one bit. The problem with a tank leak is you can not stop it untill it is empty.

In 15 years and somewhere between 10 ans 20,000 tanks this will have been about the 6th faulty one I have seen. And we are talking the top brands here not the cheap stuff that comes from Turkey.
2 found to leak on fitting
1 holes for valve not threaded
2 mounting brackets not welded on securly
and then this one developing a leak only months after fitement.
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 00:18   #22
Thanatos
VOC Member

and this is what info the tank is supposed to have on it and i asked for
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT3024.jpg (96.0 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Thanatos; Aug 5th, 2012 at 00:21.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 00:27   #23
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
no i am not saying that i am just wanting to tally the certificate to the tank as the certificate i have here that you supplied says G2WM TANK and not GZWM so i want to confirm everything.

as they sell different grades of tanks automotive ones go kart ones and compressor tanls all different regulations
No problems with that. The valve arangments etc vary with aplication etc. I'm fairly sure that size tank could only be had in the automotive variant (I know that it is an automotive tank anyway) but the genral manufacturing procedure will be similar as the all have to contain LPG. Only a automotive tank should be fitted to a car. (off topic there are photos of some poor chap who had been conned and had some idiot fit propane bottles to the underside of his truck. No 80% shut off no pressure relive valve and no thermal fuse!)
Should teh wrong type of tank (not aproved automotive) be fitted then someone (me in this case) be in deep do do.
The most important thing is that the tank is aproved for use with the valve in your case Tomasseto. The valve controls the main aspects of the tank as it has the shut off, the fill stop, pressure relive that is needed on an automotive tank. The spec for the tank is also differnt for the old type valves with no electronic shut off as most of the do not have the PRV and the tank needs a higher burst pressure for that type of valve.

What has happend here is the first one I have ever seen and is basicaly un heard of. Speak to any installer or whole saler and they will tell you it just does not happen.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 00:28   #24
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
no as my company car used to have the gauge thats why i asked and it was lpg and not cng
A pressure gauge? LPG tanks are constant pressure, aren't they? A pressure gauge isn't going to tell you how full it is...(until it's completely empty!)...

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 00:31   #25
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
and this is what info the tank is supposed to have on it and i asked for
Yep that is the info that will be there. manufactures details, capacity, 80% serial number and the E20 and 67r-01 details being the key features. You can not use a tank without it.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 00:35   #26
Thanatos
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Yep that is the info that will be there. manufactures details, capacity, 80% serial number and the E20 and 67r-01 details being the key features. You can not use a tank without it.
So why not give me the info so I can match it against your certificate as I asked for in person last week that you said you would get me that night and pm me which you did not do and lied about doing it.

And also why did you suggest welding up the tank if you know this to be illegal and not recertifing the tank as being pressure safe?

Last edited by Thanatos; Aug 5th, 2012 at 00:39.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 00:37   #27
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
A pressure gauge? LPG tanks are constant pressure, aren't they? A pressure gauge isn't going to tell you how full it is...(until it's completely empty!)...

cheers

James
Not quite constant. The pressure does vary with temperature and that is why LPG tanks only fill to 80% and are fitted with a blow off valve as if they get hot they will go over pressure. Even a domestic propane cylinder should not be filled 100% full for teh same reason.

In constant temprature as LPG turns to liquid when pressurized the pressure is the same as long as there is liquide there. Once all the liquid has evaporated then the pressure will quickly drop.
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 00:41   #28
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
So why not give me the info so I can match it against your certificate as I asked for in person last week that you said you would get me that night and pm me which you did not do and lied about doing it.
You actualy asked for the paper certificate. I did tell you the chances were slim of me still having it as I normaly leave any documants like that with the car. In some cases the paper work does not make it in tact with the tank by the time it has got here and that could be what has happened if you did not receive the documents. Has your dad check inside the car? Has it possibly been thrown away not knowing what it was?
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 00:43   #29
Thanatos
VOC Member

All the paperwork you supplied is in an envelope and nothing got thrown away and there was nothin for. The tanks or transfer ownership of the tanks only yours to say that it was cop11 certified by yourself. Which if you want I will put everything you gave us on here as attachments. As I scanned everything in just in case for backup.

Last edited by Thanatos; Aug 5th, 2012 at 00:45.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 00:54   #30
Thanatos
VOC Member

I will reask this question then as you seem not to have answerd it

And also why did you suggest welding up the tank if you know this to be illegal and not recertifing the tank as being pressure safe?
Closed Thread