Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate loom..........again!

Views : 3060

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2017, 17:37   #21
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Hi All
Joining in the debate here...

I have taken speedyG50's suggestion with the link to this website... which looks like it has the goods...
https://www.copperbraid.co.uk/

But does anyone know what thickness this wiring should be?
Is there a rating for wire? AWG? If so - what standard should the wiring be for the tailgate?

I notice that in another spare loom I've got - an offside/right - has one wire doubled up - presumably that's the rear screen demister - so it sends two thin ones through instead of one thicker one there.

It would appear that each ancillary in the tailgate is on a 8A fuse - except for demister which is on a 16A - but most of the rest would pull well under 8A.

Thanks
John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 14:47   #22
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I'm cogitating more closely this task to actually decide on a method and, do the job, I hope. I rather like Clifford's suggestion of flexible protective conduit laid along the top of the tailgate. In the way washer tubing is taken to the rear screen washer - mutatis mutandis. Where do I get fat chunky grommets like those used for that rear screen wash tubing please Clifford? However I might still replace the wiring through the hinges.

Some of the things I don't grasp or understand, yet:

Short looms - where are the tailgate end connectors? I'm beginning to deduce by elimination that the tailgate end connectors for the short looms must be in the body of the hinges. Is that right? If not, where are those connectors, please?

Large torx head bolts or screws visible through holes in the tailgate. Through the holes at the top corners inside the tailgate, the holes that people seem to use to pass loops of wires, I can see large torx head bolts or screws. They do not "aim" directly at the hinges. Do perhaps the hinges extend in to the tailgate and are those bolts/screws tailgate fixings? If not, what are those bolts/hinges screwed in to and for what purpose, please?

Braided earth wire. An interesting point thank you. Where is the braided wire and how is it terminated? And what size or cross section is it, please? If anyone can give me even a clue as to size and terminations that would help me to buy in advance.

Outer insulation tubing. Has anyone found a good flexible tubing, perhaps silicone, that can be used around replacement wires where they pass through the hinges? There seems to have been outer insulation originally.

Half a plan. It appears to me that the tailgate could be supported using long strong cramps positioned vertically and fixed in the ancient garden use Workmate. Good padding between the cramp jaws and the tailgate. The wires could be replaced through the hinges using lovely flexible multimeter probe wire from Maplin. That should perhaps maybe last and last and last for ever minus a day? Long cramps and a garden use Workmate were rescued in a boot sale years ago ... to be useful one day.

P.S. Soldering. That link re how to solder looks very informative, putting across old concepts more clearly than I have heard or seen before. Thank you for the link.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Aug 16th, 2017 at 14:51. Reason: Two bad spells found so far....
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 16:36   #23
volvo always
Premier Member

Hi,

The hinge wires pass through the hinge and end up behind the headlining on my estate, most likely stuck to roof in Volvo black goo! If you carefully pull the edge of the headliner towards the boot and lift off the headliner in the corners you will find the connector blocks there in each corner. There are wires down both sides.

No idea on the torx screw bolts, possibly adjust forward/rear tailgate movement? as just undid the bolts while propping the tailgate open horizontal. First removing the gas struts. I then sat on the boot floor edge to feed the wires through. I may of taped them to the old and drew new in? Long time ago.

I did this job around 6-7 years ago and used the genuine Volvo looms with built in connectors. It was easy apart from pulling the wire through the narrow channel. The connectors are simple as just plug in the corresponding one/colour.

It sounds harder than it is but when you see how it's wired you'll see how easy it is. Plug and play if using the Volvo wire looms.

Yes re-seat the hinge seating rubber seal in clear silicone and remove excess after bolting hinge down.

James
volvo always is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 17:19   #24
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Hi,

The hinge wires pass through the hinge and end up behind the headlining on my estate, most likely stuck to roof in Volvo black goo! If you carefully pull the edge of the headliner towards the boot and lift off the headliner in the corners you will find the connector blocks there in each corner. There are wires down both sides.

No idea on the torx screw bolts, possibly adjust forward/rear tailgate movement? as just undid the bolts while propping the tailgate open horizontal. First removing the gas struts. I then sat on the boot floor edge to feed the wires through. I may of taped them to the old and drew new in? Long time ago.

I did this job around 6-7 years ago and used the genuine Volvo looms with built in connectors. It was easy apart from pulling the wire through the narrow channel. The connectors are simple as just plug in the corresponding one/colour.

It sounds harder than it is but when you see how it's wired you'll see how easy it is. Plug and play if using the Volvo wire looms.

Yes re-seat the hinge seating rubber seal in clear silicone and remove excess after bolting hinge down.

James
Thank you James.

I realise there are connectors in the roof above the lining. But what about the connections on the tailgate side of the hinges? Are they inside the body of the hinges? Or....

What bolts did you have to undo on the tailgate side of the hinge? There is one hexagonal nut on a stud I think, and that torx head which is not aimed at the hinge.

Any idea re the braided earth wire?

What aspect are you referring to re silicone sealant?

Thanks again. I'm having bovver getting a grasp of this.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 18:33   #25
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Thank you James.

I realise there are connectors in the roof above the lining. But what about the connections on the tailgate side of the hinges? Are they inside the body of the hinges? Or....There is a black earth wire connection to the hinges from memory but the loom connection connects inside the tailgate. Remove the tailgate panel for access to the wiring connector What bolts did you have to undo on the tailgate side of the hinge? There is one hexagonal nut on a stud I think, and that torx head which is not aimed at the hinge.
None, just need to undo the bolt/bolts that clamp the hinge to roof body, you can see them near the connector under roof liningAny idea re the braided earth wire?

No idea, I just used the Volvo kit
What aspect are you referring to re silicone sealant?

You have to unbolt the hinge on top of the roof only and remove the black rubber seal to thread new wire through and so on assembly also use silicone to create a waterproof seal. Belt and braces.
Thanks again. I'm having bovver getting a grasp of this.
No probs. It's easier with the new looms.

James

Last edited by volvo always; Aug 16th, 2017 at 18:36.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 18:51   #26
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thanks James.

I'm concluding that there must be two designs. Perhaps changed when the tailgate was changed to the larger window and reputed better rust resistance. Which tailgate version have you got please?

With a short loom there must be connections to be made on the tailgate side of the hinges either in the hinges or close to the hinges. I have a dead pair of short looms and they are short indeed. Very short. I guestimate from memory they would not stretch as far as the vertical side members of the tailgate. Absolutely not down to the panel at the bottom of the tailgate.

My care is a 1992 SE. Any advice what the length of my hinge looms is likely to be please?
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 19:02   #27
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Thanks James.

I'm concluding that there must be two designs. Perhaps changed when the tailgate was changed to the larger window and reputed better rust resistance. Which tailgate version have you got please?

I have a 1989 240 so smaller glass, pre facelift as apposed the bonded in large glass
With a short loom there must be connections to be made on the tailgate side of the hinges either in the hinges or close to the hinges. I have a dead pair of short looms and they are short indeed. Very short. I guestimate from memory they would not stretch as far as the vertical side members of the tailgate. Absolutely not down to the panel at the bottom of the tailgate.

Certainly on my car the bought Volvo looms were around 2.5 ft long and there was no connections required inside the hinge, just one under the lining corner and other end inside the tailgate panel, may of been just under the glass. I would be surprised if they altered the design/length of loom but may well of done on the facelift glass.
My care is a 1992 SE. Any advice what the length of my hinge looms is likely to be please?
Probably best to remove the tailgate trim panel and see the wire routing and loom connection points.

James
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 19:11   #28
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Probably best to remove the tailgate trim panel and see the wire routing and loom connection points.

James
Yes. Edit: I don't knowwhat the different type of connectors are to look for inside the panel low down on the tailgate.So I might eventually have to start undoing the hinge(s).
However as a clue, there are different looms depending on whether the car has a central brake light. See Brookhouse. https://classicvolvoparts.co.uk/part...les_and_Wiring.

James, what year is your 240 estate please and does it have a central rear brake light please?

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Aug 16th, 2017 at 19:21. Reason: As in green.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 19:19   #29
Shaggy33

Just finished my tailgate wiring and it was a pita, see my thread! What I can tell you is that all my connectors on the tailgate side were just tucked inside the metal panels hidden by the carpet board that covers lower half of tailgate.
The last issue I came across was a dodgy earth and I got so sick of coming across dodgy connections I hard wired everything on both ends (soldered wires direct to each other...)
Shaggy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 19:23   #30
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy33 View Post
Just finished my tailgate wiring and it was a pita, see my thread! What I can tell you is that all my connectors on the tailgate side were just tucked inside the metal panels hidden by the carpet board that covers lower half of tailgate.
The last issue I came across was a dodgy earth and I got so sick of coming across dodgy connections I hard wired everything on both ends (soldered wires direct to each other...)
Shaggy 33 what year is your 240 estate please and does it have a central rear brake light please? What sort of connectors were used for the loom inside the lower panel please?