Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Top speed & brakes

Views : 1852

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2017, 15:25   #1
Sparrowhawk

Default Top speed & brakes

Just wondering what my 1998 V70R auto with 206k miles on the clock should still be capable to hit in a straight line at the ripe old age of 19?!

140?

Do they do drilled discs for my car to stop them warping?
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 12:13   #2
wise old monkey
Premier Member

my T5 at 140 does not warp the original volvo discs, they have been on for almost two years now, i would have thought your car would still be able to get up to 150, i dont think i would want to go over 140 in mine, i know its got lots more go in it
wise old monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 00:23   #3
Sparrowhawk

I've hit around 143 but there's not much left after that. Long stretch of road to get there too.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 14:49   #4
DSK
C70 T5

My S70R is the Auto and has no trouble just shy of 150mph on the speedo.

My C70's still rocket upto 155mph no issues even with one having 225,000 miles and still going sweet as.

As for brakes, when I bought the S70R, it has some grooved and drilled discs with EBC red stuff (crap stuff in my book) pads. All rubbish and there were the most minute cracks starting to appear in the drilled holes of the discs. My advised, avoid all this rubbish hyped boy racer nonsense.

If you want exceptional braking, that works on road and track the following is tried and tested;

- OEM or quality (e.g. Pagid/Brembo) brake discs
- Ferodo DS2500 or Carbotech XP8/10 brake pads (they are expensive but that's because they work!)
- Moutul RBF600 brake fluid

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 16:03   #5
domhart10
Volvo S40

155mph as well here done pretty swiftly but had to take my foot off then as its a bit too quick for me.

Still on standard brake system (with grooved discs) which seem good and managed one lap of the nurburgring but started to fade after one. Will be upgrading to the Focus RS brake kit soon.

grooved seem to be good option if you take to track but dont really benefit on road day to day use.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 22:36   #6
850Chris
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
155mph as well here done pretty swiftly but had to take my foot off then as its a bit too quick for me.

Still on standard brake system (with grooved discs) which seem good and managed one lap of the nurburgring but started to fade after one. Will be upgrading to the Focus RS brake kit soon.

grooved seem to be good option if you take to track but dont really benefit on road day to day use.
Dom,

Try running some cold air ducting to your brakes (you'd need to created some intakes on the lower bumper). Will help keep things cool.

Some of the speeds being discussed on here are a little alarming. I hope this is on closed roads or track chaps, and remember a blow out can happen without warning on any car - new or old. If you have a blow out at these speeds you will not be going home that night, or any night, and hopefully will not have taken out an innocent family with you!

For me, the thrill of the power is in overtaking grunt and pulling out of 2nd and 3rd gear bends. Not so fussed on top speed.

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:11   #7
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Chris View Post
Dom,

Try running some cold air ducting to your brakes (you'd need to created some intakes on the lower bumper). Will help keep things cool.

Some of the speeds being discussed on here are a little alarming. I hope this is on closed roads or track chaps, and remember a blow out can happen without warning on any car - new or old. If you have a blow out at these speeds you will not be going home that night, or any night, and hopefully will not have taken out an innocent family with you!

For me, the thrill of the power is in overtaking grunt and pulling out of 2nd and 3rd gear bends. Not so fussed on top speed.

Thanks 850Chris what do you mean by the air ducting to the brakes? some sort of air flow toward them to help cool down? I was thinking of possibly removing the fogs and getting a pipe in there towards the brakes but dont know if thats out of my skills reach as im pretty basic.

yeh speeds were all done in safe environments, could only get about 130 on the nurburgring. But at 5am on the Autobahn driving to Belgium the roads were really empty (4 lanes across) cloudless day with the sun peaking out .... thought we would try and get there a bit quicker as we had the chance.

As for the potential of blow outs or parts going wrong, car was serviced by dealer and checked before the trip out. Also popped on some new Toyo Proxies with alloys and also month before going some new discs and pads I defenitly keep safety in mind and make sure the car is in tip top condition.

But yeh I know what you mean I too get more of a kick out of the overtaking and pull more than the top speed.

Last edited by domhart10; May 10th, 2017 at 11:39.
Old May 10th, 2017, 21:18   #8
850Chris
Premier Member

Hi Dom,

It's essentially running some flexible plastic piping from an aperture on the front bumper through to the inside of the wheel area so it channels cool air onto the brakes. Removal of the front foglights and then replacement with a plastic / aluminium duct inlet (which you would mount in some blanking plates from models not equipped with fogs) would be the usual way to go. Plastic piping would then feed along the topside of the engine under tray, and could be secured to that with some cable clips and reusable zip ties (also allowing removal of ducting when under tray has to come off). It's a modification I've thought of doing, but never got around to it. Suspect it could be fairly fiddly unless you have access to a vehicle lift to give standing access underneath. Take a look here for some tempting inspiration:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfor...-ducts-ducting

P.S. the comment on speed wasn't aimed specifically at you.

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:57   #9
domhart10
Volvo S40

oh yeh i see what you mean, that sounds like a really good idea If you do go ahead with it, would be great to see some photo's. Think I might try this in then next couple of weeks as well