Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Model XC60 T5 Momentum AWD

Views : 8870

Replies : 81

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2017, 09:54   #51
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
My dealer was pretty explicit when I wandered in looking at a new XC60 that I'd be far better off waiting a year when Volvo will be in full panic mode as new car sales (particularly diesel) fall off the proverbial cliff in the UK.
That's a surprise remark coming from a Volvo dealer.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobby2000 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2017, 10:23   #52
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
That's a surprise remark coming from a Volvo dealer.
Indeed... an interesting response....

Can't see that Volvo will be panicking about anything personally considering where they are at with their petrol engines and hybrid technology, especially since full electric cars will be coming next year too to compete with the likes of Tesla. (https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...tric-car-brand) - I'm sure some of this will make it into the Volvo's too....

Diesel wise there is an awful lot of scaremongering going on in the media. Ultimately if you do the mileage to warrant it then diesel is still going to be a better option for the time being at least until there is a better infrastructure around full Electric vehicles.. If you're doing 8000 miles a year/live near a congestion zone then yes, petrol/hybrid/full electric is probably the best choice.

Most of the diesel issues in the short term are around older vehicles which put out a lot more nasty gasses than modern diesels. As Volvo have some of the cleanest diesels on the market without using additives (although some Ad-Blue is coming to lower it further) I can't see there will be a problem. It is more about public perception and the media blowing things out of proportion in my opinion.

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk

Last edited by MtillingVolvo; Aug 19th, 2017 at 10:29.
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2017, 10:32   #53
Chief inspector
Master Member

There is growing speculation about credit crunch II centred on car finance, there is a lot of commentary on this, basically that there is too much bank cash tied up in this and that it my crash.

One from February:
https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...inancial-crash
Old Aug 19th, 2017, 10:38   #54
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo View Post
Indeed... an interesting response....

Can't see that Volvo will be panicking about anything personally considering where they are at with their petrol engines and hybrid technology, especially since full electric cars will be coming next year too to compete with the likes of Tesla. (https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...tric-car-brand) - I'm sure some of this will make it into the Volvo's too....

Diesel wise there is an awful lot of scaremongering going on in the media. Ultimately if you do the mileage to warrant it then diesel is still going to be a better option for the time being at least until there is a better infrastructure around full Electric vehicles.. If you're doing 8000 miles a year/live near a congestion zone then yes, petrol/hybrid/full electric is probably the best choice.

Most of the diesel issues in the short term are around older vehicles which put out a lot more nasty gasses than modern diesels. As Volvo have some of the cleanest diesels on the market without using additives (although some Ad-Blue is coming to lower it further) I can't see there will be a problem. It is more about public perception and the media blowing things out of proportion in my opinion.
Are you finding a swing to Petrol at the moment.
Old Aug 19th, 2017, 10:41   #55
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Probably a little.... but not anything major at the moment.

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MtillingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 14:45   #56
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Lee View Post
Took delivery of this on Friday and been having a bit of drive around this weekend. Very please so far although - ride is far superior to the previous model (of which we've had two). Hoping the engine will loosen up a bit and we'll get something better than the 23mpg currently showing (from a combination of town and motorway). The economy chart shows it hitting the high 30s on the motorway.

All seems ok so far, although I'm not sure the mirror dips in reverse when you push the L or R button like the old car did which could be a bit annoying.

Might treat myself to some bigger wheels but I note that several people says this has a noticeable detrimental effect on the ride quality.

How is Momentum going and are you happy with it?
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 21:41   #57
Peter Lee

Quote:
How is Momentum going and are you happy with it?
Going very well thanks. Not quite reached the 42mpg combined promised - currently around 28mpg - but it's not doing too badly. It is loosening up nicely.

Eco Mode is quite interesting - especially with the automatic coasting function. Not something I'd thought would ever happen on an auto box.

Not had lane assist on a car before and the occasional push on the steering wheel is quite odd but fun. You can let it follow the line at the side of the road and it will even steer itself around corners using it but it only does it for so long before saying it's going to deactivate (and essentially drive off the road) if you don't start steering again. I should have spec'd pilot assist I know.

I miss adaptive cruise control but I'm wondering if this is something the dealer can switch on. The existing cruise is already linked to the brakes as if you change cruise speed significantly downward (say 90kmh to 50kmh - I'm in France currently) the car will apply the brakes to bring the car down to speed. It also seems to know where vehicles are in front with all the safety kit that's on it. Had a couple of alarms go off from people jamming the brakes on or straying in front of me on narrow roads - even to the point where it has starting to apply the brakes. All very clever stuff.

It's 30+ degrees here currently and if you use the key to open the windows (same as the old version) it goes one step further and starts the fan inside to push the hot air out. Nice touch.

LED headlamps are brilliant (no pun intended) - auto full beam is very clever.

As I think I've said before and everyone else has said - it's just a different league of engineering from the old version and we're very pleased with it.

Sorry, bit of a ramble but it is getting late here and it's been a very long day. Will try and put some more coherent thoughts down later in the week.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peter Lee For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 23:01   #58
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Going very well thanks. Not quite reached the 42mpg combined promised - currently around 28mpg - but it's not doing too badly. It is loosening up nicely.

Eco Mode is quite interesting - especially with the automatic coasting function. Not something I'd thought would ever happen on an auto box.

Not had lane assist on a car before and the occasional push on the steering wheel is quite odd but fun. You can let it follow the line at the side of the road and it will even steer itself around corners using it but it only does it for so long before saying it's going to deactivate (and essentially drive off the road) if you don't start steering again. I should have spec'd pilot assist I know.

I miss adaptive cruise control but I'm wondering if this is something the dealer can switch on. The existing cruise is already linked to the brakes as if you change cruise speed significantly downward (say 90kmh to 50kmh - I'm in France currently) the car will apply the brakes to bring the car down to speed. It also seems to know where vehicles are in front with all the safety kit that's on it. Had a couple of alarms go off from people jamming the brakes on or straying in front of me on narrow roads - even to the point where it has starting to apply the brakes. All very clever stuff.

It's 30+ degrees here currently and if you use the key to open the windows (same as the old version) it goes one step further and starts the fan inside to push the hot air out. Nice touch.

LED headlamps are brilliant (no pun intended) - auto full beam is very clever.

As I think I've said before and everyone else has said - it's just a different league of engineering from the old version and we're very pleased with it.

Sorry, bit of a ramble but it is getting late here and it's been a very long day. Will try and put some more coherent thoughts down later in the week.
It all sounds very promising, reading your review makes me feel that I won't be disappointed.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 08:03   #59
Peter Lee

Quote:
It all sounds very promising, reading your review makes me feel that I won't be disappointed.
I'm sure you won't be. The only thing I think might disappoint some is the lack of feel for what is happening outside but I don't think anyone buys this sort of car for performance driving (do they?)
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Lee For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 08:47   #60
bobby2000
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm sure you won't be. The only thing I think might disappoint some is the lack of feel for what is happening outside but I don't think anyone buys this sort of car for performance driving (do they?)
I'm after comfort these days, lf you want to feel the road, buy a sports car.
It's getting closer to my collection day and I'm really looking forward to it.
Keep us updated on your ownership.