Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stereo fascia - high mount

Views : 967

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2017, 22:25   #1
Shaggy33

Default Stereo fascia - high mount

Scoured the web for anyone that might do a rhd fascia kit (clock on right of stereo so curved edge is on the left of fascia but no success.
The stereo in my car seems to be fitted into fascia as you can see the line around the stereo where the plastic is different bit not sure if this is removable to place another one in
Would consider a low mounting stereo but then that leaves with what to do with the space where stereo currently is!
Any suggestions?
Shaggy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 15:56   #2
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Take your original radio out of the fascia, enlarge the hole, fit a new radio in the hole.

The original will come out of the fascia (I once punched my radio through the dash because of a dodgy wire which annoyed me)

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 17:15   #3
Shaggy33

Thanks Antz. Your post made me laugh, sort of thing I'd do!!
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 17:16   #4
Shaggy33

Do you simply pull the clock out to get to the screws the hold the stereo panel in?
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 18:54   #5
Vakito

The bit of plastic around the clock is only gently gripped by some clips and can be gently prised out with a screwdriver or other flat object such as a ruler. Once that is removed, it will expose 2 screws that hold the radio mount in place, remove them and the whole thing should slide out then disconnect the wires from the back of the radio. The radio's plastic surround will have 2 holes each side exposing screws which hold it to the radio itself, you can then undo them which leaves you with a plastic surround vacant for a new radio. You may have to remove some material from the plastic depending on the radio you plan on replacing it with. Once it fits, repeat the steps in reverse order.

On a side note, bit of an odd request but if you are thinking of getting a more modern radio, is it possible that I can buy your old connector that goes into the back of the radio if it is the one with 14 pins? I would have sent that as a PM but It says I don't have the posts required to do it as of yet!

Many Thanks
Peter
Vakito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 00:22   #6
Lucien
VOC Member

If you have the original radio fitted in the upper mount, you may need to release a steadying bar at the rear of the radio to remove it. Accessed by removing the glove box.

Once removed, as said above, the fascia panel is easy to unscrew from the radio.

regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 22:14   #7
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Hi Shaggy33 - Halfords do a brand new replacement surround for a LH drive 240 in this country - helpful? NO!

The deal is that an ISO stereo is about 1mm wider and taller than the Volvo unit fitted in the surround. The surround may be a little brittle, so go easy at it, but nothing that a sharp Stanley blade/file can't sort relatively quickly. It was one of the first jobs that I did when I got my 240...

Good luck
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 23:13   #8
Shaggy33

Thanks guys, Sorry for late reply been away! You'll see from other post that I've got stereo out and have proceeded to dremel the aperture on original fascia to accept modern cage 178mm x 53mm approx
I'm now head scratching about wiring, as I say see my Lynette post!