Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"direction indicator on trailer" panel light

Views : 1289

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 15:22   #1
bazwilson

Default "direction indicator on trailer" panel light

hi,
On my recently purchased 2009 XC70 the "direction indicator on trailer" symbol does not flash when the caravan indicators are working. The main direction indicator dash lights work Ok, and the "direction indicator on trailer" symbol lights up on start up so the bulb is ok.

The car has the proper volvo trailer module and wireing harness fitted.

does anybody know if the signal for this signal is made in side the Trailer module or another unit?

Thanks
Barry
bazwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 22:12   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Does your caravan have LED lights? One of my trailers has LED lights, my older XC90 can't tell when it's connected and my 2016 XC60 does sometimes and usually reports all sorts of bulb failures. The trailer lights do work okay.

Also - do you have a 13-pin or 7-pin socket? My XC60 has the 13 pin socket and again it couldn't sense any trailer - until I changed the 13 to 7 pin adapter for a Volvo original one. As an electrician by background I cannot fathom why that would make a difference but it did....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jul 23rd, 2017 at 22:14.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 21:57   #3
green van man
Premier Member

It does not flash, instead the normal dash indicator flashes fast when a trailer indicator fails as well as when one of the cars ones do.
I fell foul of this and was on the phone to the dealer whom supplied and fitted it, they went to Volvo Sweden to find the answer, I tested their assertion using a trailer board and indeed the normal dash indicator flashes faster when you remove an indicator bulb from the trailer board in the same way as it does when one on the car fails.

If the trailer is connected and the dash light flashes normally everything is fine.

My car is same age as yours and 2wd xc70.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 00:12   #4
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

On my old XC70 the Thule towbar and aftermarket loom I fitted the trailer indicator light flashed but I believe on Volvo looms it does not.

Tags
trailer electrics, trailer indicator symbol, trailer module