Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 DVD Console

Views : 2334

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2017, 07:55   #11
tobyedward
Proud to be Volvo

Question

Hi John. I'll look at those threads in more detail, but yes the screens turn on fine and have a blue background, but just simply come up with the 'no signal' message and then count down from 8 before turning off. I also tried the trick with a mobile to double check the remote and I think it's pretty terminal.

As for the sound, is it not the case that you can choose to either listen through the car stereo or wireless headphones? Can you buy any Thompson headphones or do you have to find some that are specifically compatible?
tobyedward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 19:56   #12
aland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyedward View Post
Hi John. I'll look at those threads in more detail, but yes the screens turn on fine and have a blue background, but just simply come up with the 'no signal' message and then count down from 8 before turning off. I also tried the trick with a mobile to double check the remote and I think it's pretty terminal.

As for the sound, is it not the case that you can choose to either listen through the car stereo or wireless headphones? Can you buy any Thompson headphones or do you have to find some that are specifically compatible?
I think it depends *what* mobile. My iPhone doesn't show IR remote LED signals on it's screen, yet my Canon digital camera does fine.

Re the audio - I believe it's only through the headphones - maybe someone can confirm.
I just replaced the OEM Volvo screens in my headrests (bought s/h) with generic ones from Amazon (£25 each) which accept standard composite video signal. I made up cables to go to an iPod connector in the glovebox, and used a cheap IR transmitter which I mounted on the root to feed generic IR headphones. Now I can stream films from my iPod to the screens, keeps the kids quiet.

These screens: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BW-Resoluti...se+screen+7%22
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 20:35   #13
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, re the ir controller, the led appears on both my android phone and digital camera.

The DVD will play only via the headphones. The player outputs to an adapter which feeds the headrest screens. The audio feeds into two thomson transmitters which match the headphones, but looking at eBay you can get wireless headphones which match the transmitter frequency. Alternatively I guess you could plug the output into some separate speaker device, but would compromise drivers audio experience!

You will see between the row three seats, an alternative video and audio set of sockets. I believe their are for adding other devices to be played on the screens. Another member has explored further in an earlier thread.

The previous thread is helpful and explains just one of a range of alternative uptions for rse (rear seat entertainment), indeed free standing android based devices are available, one for each headrest.

However my grandkids are quite happy with the 10dvd unit so sticking to that.

Cheers
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 21:25   #14
tobyedward
Proud to be Volvo

Question

Very grateful for all suggestions - just goes to show how creative people are, but alas quite a lot goes over my head I'm afraid.

I'd like to stick with trying to get the DVD player working so just need to find someone that can fix the remote.

It sounds like replacing the headphones will be a little easier. I have the manual and it states 863 KHz - is it just a case of finding headphones with that frequency?

One other basic question, but I assume you can only watch one DVD at a time? It's not that sophisticated that one headrest shows one film and the other something else?
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 22:04   #15
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, you are correct in that the one DVD feeds the two screen and the player has only one reader and can read one of the 10 DVDs at a time.

If you look at eBay under thomson headphones you should see a selection. The actual headphone model I have is WHP540, but will he an early model. I guess if frequency is matched they would be fine

Eg:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391562345611

I am not sure if the remote is repairable, I assume you have replaced batteries. I have seen them for sale on eBay.

Cheers john l
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 22:16   #16
tobyedward
Proud to be Volvo

Yeah I replaced the battery, but no joy. I've searched for remotes on ebay, but haven't found anything that I was confident would do the trick - don't suppose you could post a link??
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 22:46   #17
john langrick
Master Member

Will try and search for a forum thread earlier this year which had a link to equivalent which worked. Will get back if I find it. Otherwise it is a matter of keep looking. At least you know what the remote should look like!

Cheers
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 22:59   #18
john langrick
Master Member

https://www.remote-control-world.eu/...5d4cf76e33ec54

This may be the one, take a look. Search on rc-3210a.

Please let me know if it works
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 23:00   #19
Peter Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyedward View Post
Yeah I replaced the battery, but no joy. I've searched for remotes on ebay, but haven't found anything that I was confident would do the trick - don't suppose you could post a link??
I'm sure you've looked, but the battery terminals in the remote looks ok still and free from any corrosion that might be preventing current being passed?
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 00:05   #20
tobyedward
Proud to be Volvo

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by john langrick View Post
https://www.remote-control-world.eu/...5d4cf76e33ec54

This may be the one, take a look. Search on rc-3210a.

Please let me know if it works
The picture on the right is the one I have so you may have just hit the jackpot! Will check whether they accept returns, but may have to take the risk.

How on earth did we survive without forums - you're a top man John!

Tags
console, dvd player, headrest, remote control