Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hard wire 3A USB.

Views : 721

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2017, 16:35   #1
Naked Overlord

Default Hard wire 3A USB.

Just got one of these of ebay and was thinking of tapping into the ciggie lighter wiring. Anyone fitted one and found an easy but better solution? Anywhere else or better in the centre console to tap? I think the lighter is permanently live which I don't wan't. Thought about fuse tap but would prefer not to extend the wires. Is this the best solution?
Usb socket is for sat nav and needs to be around the centre console.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Output...sAAOSwdzVXpacS
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 17:22   #2
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Im not sure how it would work in terms of load etc as i am about as far away from an expert as you can get, but to me the most logical, and wire already in the correct place to use would be to spur into the ignition live that goes to the radio.
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 19:13   #3
piperdave

OK, so I got one of these

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/...XXr/s-l225.jpg

cut off the plug. Hard wired a rocker switch next to the ashtray, and connected the wire to that.

I then obtained a USB port and mounted it between the heated seat switches.

I then used a cable to connect the junction box to the USB port.

I have concealed the junction box above the gearbox, accessed by removing the gear stick cover.

I used the other junction box cigar lighter outlets for dash cam and sat nav switchable power. all the wiring is hidden, not draped around the cabin.

simples....
piperdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 19:40   #4
Naked Overlord

I've lifted the gear stick gaiter and found two unused connectors. I'm pretty sure one is for the heated seats which I don't have. Its only live on the second key position, first position would be preferred, and is fused by a 20A fuse in the fusebox. This is what I'll probably use.

I might look higher up the centre console. Symmetrically opposite the central locking button is a blanking plate for a child lock switch. I dug this out and it has wires connected to it so I might investigate this.

I've figured out the Haynes manual wiring so need to spend a bit of time looking for options.
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 22:16   #5
Hoggy32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Overlord View Post
I've lifted the gear stick gaiter and found two unused connectors. I'm pretty sure one is for the heated seats which I don't have. Its only live on the second key position, first position would be preferred, and is fused by a 20A fuse in the fusebox. This is what I'll probably use.

I might look higher up the centre console. Symmetrically opposite the central locking button is a blanking plate for a child lock switch. I dug this out and it has wires connected to it so I might investigate this.

I've figured out the Haynes manual wiring so need to spend a bit of time looking for options.
Did a handbrake replacement today, and by removing the center console you could see the 12V Cigarett lighter cables.
If you want to check those cable, I suggest you to remove the center console so you can see better. Takes like 2 min to remove it, really easy.
Hoggy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 22:27   #6
Haizum74
Master Member

Is there any way to reroute the cig lighter so it only comes on when ignition is on?

'08 V50 2.0D
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 09:11   #7
Umski

Piggy-backing off the radio ignition ON is fine as clarkey1984 suggests - I've done this for a dash cam. The USB supply is only drawing 1.25A at 12V (5Vx3A = 15W, 15W/12V=1.25A). The wire on the back of the radio connector is the brown/white from the ACC+ switch position. Strangely this is a 15A feed which also supplies the cigarette lighter relay and sub according to the schematic (my lighter seems to be on all the time so this is a bit odd - ah the relay is for US, CN and AU markets only )
Umski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Umski For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 15:33   #8
Naked Overlord

I've connected to the unused heated seat wire partly because its easy to get to and partly because I couldn't see a quick and easy way to route the cable from behind that part of the dash. Currently its coming from the corner of the gear stick gaiter. From looking at the Haynes manual the radio wire is the only available option which is live in key position 1. As its intended for a sat nav this should be fine but would have liked the option to use it without the ignition on. If it becomes a problem I'll move it to the radio wire.
Thanks.
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 11:36   #9
druid
V40 Owner

I put a cigarette lighter socket behind the radio for my dash cam and came off the interior lights for passenger side footlight and for the under door lighting.

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 19:49   #10
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I used connector block to spur off the cigarette lighter wiring for an extra USB socket like that. Hides under gear surround and supplies the phone cradle and the BT speaker. I then fitted a second socket for the dashcam by tapping the switched ignition for the radio.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote