Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How can I make indicator noise louder but same type of noise

Views : 777

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2017, 13:20   #1
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default How can I make indicator noise louder but same type of noise

I want to make the indicators warning sound louder but keep the same type of noise. Clack clack, clack clack, clack clack ....

I have a towing electrics buzzer so I don't want two buzzers giving the same or similar warning for the different functions.

Can anyone recommend a suitable clack clack, non-buzzing, solution please? A louder relay or an add on loud clacker?
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 10:32   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

The relays do vary. Mine used to be very quiet and I wondered if there was a louder option. Then the relay failed, and I fitted an apparently identical spare from my box of bits, and it is much better - I can hear it ticking in the traditional way only much louder.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 10:51   #3
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thank you Clifford. Good. I'll ask the local auto electricians if they have a box of old three blade relays I can try.

I could maybe glue something to the indicators relay to be a sounding board?

I have seen a suggestion of fitting a loud relay, just a loud ordinary non-indicators relay with no load, to work alongside the indicator relay. The aforesaid auto electricians might be able to help with that.

Plug and pray....
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 16:24   #4
rustytoba
Master Member

Hi,

Not sure of the location of the relay on your 240, but mine was close to the transmission tunnel in the central consul tucked under the carpet, I moved it away from the carpet this made the click louder.

This may be of help.

Scott
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 19:17   #5
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thank you rusty yes. My indicators relay is just inside the left footwell. And is behind the carpeting lining there. I will move the relay. That will be some help. Where did you move yours to please?

Plan whatever, I might add two additional green warning light LEDs on top of the steering column, more in the line of sight. As a wiring job I hope that should be straightforward. And I think that top piece is easily removed, and I hope a spare could be bought when someone is sadly having to scrap a 240. So I should not feel guilty if I do drill a steering column top piece.
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 21:58   #6
rustytoba
Master Member

Really only a few inches further up the frame of central console to get it away from the floor the cable does have a spare few inches to adjust the possition.

I too have issues with the dashboards field of view, with both indicator warning lights and anything between about 40 and 80mph being completely shielded by the steering wheel, speaking of which had to get a steering wheel for the MOT this year as the grip had came away from the rim of my original, I've been using http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Dumfries-Vo...p2047675.l2563 on ebay recently seems to have a decent supply of 240 parts and delivery is pretty quick.

Scott
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 22:38   #7
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thanks Scott.

Yes as I remember looking earlier there is enough wire to move the relay up a few inches. That can only help.

I use a steering wheel from an earlier 240. It's larger diameter. That helps with visibility of the speedometer &c.
And, it feels like a steering wheel.

Sorry to hear about your steering wheel. I have bookmarked Dumfries parts thank you.

Stephen
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 09:41   #8
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I use a steering wheel from an earlier 240. It's larger diameter. That helps with visibility of the speedometer
Me too.
Also remember that the seat height can be adjusted. If you are fairly tall like me I've found the lowest seat setting, the furthest slide position backwards, and a larger wheel make everything visible.
It's still an old-fashioned driving position, which I like. I can easily rest my elbows on the steering wheel. I don't know how tall people manage - unbolt the seat rails and drill new holes I suppose.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 11:32   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

"I can easily rest my elbows on the steering wheel."

Why would you want to do that, or am I misunderstanding something?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 11:44   #10
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I think I did missunderstand Clifford's point but I think the penny has dropped with me now.

P.S. I just do like that Dr Who emoticon.