Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Insurance - Warning

Views : 1731

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2017, 17:38   #1
bigcj

Default Volvo Insurance - Warning

I have just posted the below on the main forum for your information;

I have just had my Volvo Insurance renewal arrived, I expected a slight increase but not expect an £59.00 increase to £339.00. It does get better, I do a quick check with Aviva and Direct Line the cheapest quote £181. I contact Volvo Insurance in an attempt to negotiate a lower premium. The best they offer is a reduction to £320, to my horror the representative sensing my dissatisfaction told me that if I moved to one of these other companies and I needed to repair my vehicle they could insist that they use recycled or non Volvo parts even if repaired at a Volvo main dealer. I have contacted my main dealer who confirmed my suspicion that this total rubbish and that all parts would be new Volvo genuine parts. You may wish to consider this apparent scare tactic used by Volvo Car Insurance. My complaint is now submitted and I am awaiting a response. I will keep you informed.
bigcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 17:51   #2
nozmeister

Just to mention that you can also get another £50 cashback from Aviva through topcashback if you buy car insurance through their website.

I did yesterday after after my insurer but the price up another 10% and would only come down to last years price.

It pays to shop around.

Volvo XC60 SE LUX NAV D4 VEA GT MY16 - Osmium Grey, Family Pack, Winter Pack, Front Parking Sensors & Tempa Spare Wheel

Gone but not forgotten: 2006-2015 Volvo V50 2.0D SE MY06 - 46.7 MPG
nozmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nozmeister For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 18:20   #3
Mick787

My mother is 81 years of age, she has had her car insurance through Volvo for many years. It was underwritten by Royal Sun Alliance, however, they changed earlier this year to Allianz. So for 'Volvo insurance' read 'Allianz'.
Following an incident earlier this year which happened just before Volvo changed their underwriters, (where a guy drove into mum), I took up the fight on her behalf. Honestly, don't be fooled by the use of the title Volvo Insurance and think it will give a better quality of service, it won't. Just as brand loyalty means nothing.
Mum had her incident resolved by the other driver's insurance company accepting liability. During this time though her renewal came up. They (Volvo insurance aka Allianz), didn't apply the correct discount code, trying to rip mum off by over two hundred pounds. Only after my intervention did they admit they were wrong. So tread carefully and always live by the rule that insurance is legalised robbery. Reading the small print, which is very boring, will invariably verify that it's not worth the paper it's written on.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick787 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 20:43   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I had an incident with Volvo Owners Insurance many years ago when I bought my first Volvo (440 Turbo) I was 24 and they said they wouldn't insure me until I was 25 - and then they rang back with a stunning quote. When I got the docs through the post I discovered that had altered my date of birth by one year to get me insured on the system. When I queried this then answer I got was it was fine and they do it all them time to extend offers to people.

The following year I shifted to Direct Line, I was young and naive then, I would entertain that now. It was RSA at the time.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 21:20   #5
Deadloak

I have use Aviva for a few years now. Thier renewal rates I haven't been able to beat anywhere else. I also always check topcashback, before any purchases. Never believe the threats of not being able to use the main dealer, as you rightly say it is just scare mongering, and very underhand.
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 23:45   #6
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

When I last did my renewal checks, I noticed a number of insurers said they would charge a fee if you wanted to use your selected repairer. I also found VOI very expensive, and like other posters found Aviva quite competitive.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 00:00   #7
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
When I last did my renewal checks, I noticed a number of insurers said they would charge a fee if you wanted to use your selected repairer. I also found VOI very expensive, and like other posters found Aviva quite competitive.
Personally I have used LV for many years and have found no-one so far that can beat them, helped by the fact that they only a very nominal charge for the Polestar upgrade.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 07:22   #8
benr7310
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcj View Post
I have just posted the below on the main forum for your information;

I have just had my Volvo Insurance renewal arrived, I expected a slight increase but not expect an £59.00 increase to £339.00. It does get better, I do a quick check with Aviva and Direct Line the cheapest quote £181. I contact Volvo Insurance in an attempt to negotiate a lower premium. The best they offer is a reduction to £320, to my horror the representative sensing my dissatisfaction told me that if I moved to one of these other companies and I needed to repair my vehicle they could insist that they use recycled or non Volvo parts even if repaired at a Volvo main dealer. I have contacted my main dealer who confirmed my suspicion that this total rubbish and that all parts would be new Volvo genuine parts. You may wish to consider this apparent scare tactic used by Volvo Car Insurance. My complaint is now submitted and I am awaiting a response. I will keep you informed.
When you get a response to your complaint if you are unhappy with the result please refer this on to both Financial Ombudsman Service (change Volvo ins £550 for the pleasure and it's free for you) and also the FCA as it is mis-selling which should be stamped out (they may receive fines for this and they can be very hefty).

Ex-S40 Sport 2.0d with 180bhp & 300lbft
benr7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to benr7310 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 07:23   #9
benr7310
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Personally I have used LV for many years and have found no-one so far that can beat them, helped by the fact that they only a very nominal charge for the Polestar upgrade.
Everyone I have spoken to who has had claims with LV have said they are pi** poor.

Ex-S40 Sport 2.0d with 180bhp & 300lbft
benr7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 07:45   #10
kenny
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benr7310 View Post
Everyone I have spoken to who has had claims with LV have said they are pi** poor.
A friend I go boating with drowned his £50,000 Lexus hybrid when launching on a beach, LV couldn't have been better dealing with the claim. They had him in a brand new like for like in less than a month with a loan car until it was ready.
They were also great with my flood claim. We now have both cars insured with them.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote