Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC60 Wheel alignment issue

Views : 7202

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2017, 13:54   #1
losboz

Angry Volvo XC60 Wheel alignment issue

I wonder if anybody would like to comment on an issue I have with a recently purchased XC60. I have had it for a week and purchased as a used vehicle Selekt product from Volvo. Its a 2014 (facelift) D4 AWD. 1 owner with 36K miles

On the test drive I noticed it was drifting to the left a little but other than that it steered nicely. Upon inspection I noticed that the F/OS tyre was a quite worn on the inside and put the 'drift' down to this. I also noticed that the two 'newest tyres were both on the near side. The F/OS being the 3rd most worn and the R/OS the lowest of tread. So F/NS 6mm R/NS 7mm F/OS 5mm and R/OS 3mm. We did a deal and I requested they swap the R/NS tyre with the F/OS making the two 'best' tyres sit on the steering axle and do a 4 wheel alignment. They replied they could do this 'in house'

Here are the results

First of all I noticed the spec sheet didn't state AWD but I have no idea if the FWD and AWD have different settings and there were no Castor settings which surprised me.

As for the figures I noticed that the adjusted toe in figures on the rear are not the same leaving a 0.02 degree thrust angle which isn't a good start ! Then the front toe settings are also different. Also the F/NS camber is quite different to the F/OS but I have no idea what the max difference should be?

So............ how did it drive after the alignment? The answer is quite simply. APPALLINGLY

At speeds under 30mph the only indication of an error is a slight left shift of the steering wheel from centre upon acceleration and braking and that taking a roundabout felt a little 'weird'. But at speeds above 30mph the previous little drift to the left is now a pull and steering inputs to the left and right have a totally different result in where the vehicle actually points! So much so that in some motorway camber instances you can now take a slip road simply by taking your hands of the wheel! Steering with the wheel in the straight ahead position is possible but with a lot of resistance! It does feel like it is crabbing a little and the rear alignment is dictating the left turn the front wheels are having to follow. It seems like it is driving in a slight arc. On slow duel carriageway turns the steering wheel will wander to the left a few degrees and stay there. No steering input is required to follow the left turn.

Unfortunately for me I had a 500+ round trip from north Wales to Boston over the weekend which I had to attend. Due to this alignment issue it was a thoroughly miserable experience. What normally would have been an exhilarating drive over the Peak District had me driving like my Dad clutching the wheel like I was directing a mistreated shopping trolley

Steering inputs to the left resulted in a completely different experience as to steering inputs to the right with a horrible 'lightness' feel as it passed through what should have been the neutrally feeling dead centre spot. Inputs to the left had a strange 'tipping over' affect with all inputs to the right experiencing a resistance and an under steer characteristic

Going from left to right was an unnerving experience at anything over 30mph so I opted for the much longer route back via Lincoln, M180, M1 and M62 to get me back on generally straighter roads

I am sure I have used more fuel and lost far more rubber on this journey than I would have done and I hope there has not been too much damage done to steering, bearing and suspension components.

So what have Volvo techs done to my new car? Surely there can only be THREE possibilities.

Was there a machine calibration issue?
Was there a human input error ?
Is there damage to the vehicle?

Any comments/assistance or experience of this would be valued as it is back to Volvo on Wednesday for them to have a look at it again

Last edited by losboz; Aug 21st, 2017 at 15:17.
losboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 14:29   #2
soleil

I am no expert with the engineering and mechanics of a vehicle - plenty of other forum members will have ideas and answers.
However, as it was a Selekt purchase surely the answer is to let them fix the vehicle properly and refuse to have anything to do with it until it is rectified. I would also make sure I got lots of paperwork confirming it was fit and safe to drive from that point on.
We had to ask for help with the V40 after it was purchased with the engine light issue and are very happy with Volvo post-purchase customer service.
Hope they can sort it quickly for you
The Following User Says Thank You to soleil For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 14:54   #3
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Same here. Plenty of people on here who are much more qualified than I am....

BUT, perhaps its worth taking the car to an independant tyre place to have them do the alignment etc?

After all, I somehow can not imagine that a car sales place/dealer is a place who knows how to deal with tyres and the like.....

At least for peace of mind.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 15:10   #4
losboz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
Same here. Plenty of people on here who are much more qualified than I am....

BUT, perhaps its worth taking the car to an independant tyre place to have them do the alignment etc?

After all, I somehow can not imagine that a car sales place/dealer is a place who knows how to deal with tyres and the like.....

At least for peace of mind.
I did that the day after I purchased on a good 4 wheel Hunter machine. Mainly to check over the tyres but also to print of the current alignment settings as a starting point. They don't normally do this unless they adjust which involves cost but I have a friend that works their.

I have not divulged this to Volvo yet as they need to explain why their adjustment has made it substantially worse. What I will say is the figures IN NO WAY correspond to the initial 'before' adjustment on the Volvo sheet above. The figures are not all wildly apart from the front camber figures which are substantially different!?!

If my friends place was not so far away I would be inclined to go and get post Volvo tinkering readings. If nothing else but to highlight why there could be so much difference

Last edited by losboz; Aug 21st, 2017 at 15:20.
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 15:17   #5
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losboz View Post
I did that the day after I purchased on a good 4 wheel Hunter machine. Mainly to check over the tyres but also to print of the current alignment settings as a starting point. They don't normally do this unless they adjust which involves cost but I have a friend that works their.

I have not divulged this to Volvo yet as they need to explain why their adjustment has made it substantially worse. What I will say is the figures IN NO WAY correspond to the initial 'before' adjustment on the Volvo sheet above. The figures are not all wildly out but the front camber figures are a mile off !!!!

If my friends place was not so far away I would be inclined to go and get post Volvo tinkering readings. If nothing else but to highlight why there could be so much difference
Hmmmm.....interesting.

Sorry to say this, but perhaps the car has hit something?

Perhaps worth checking each wheel for "roundness" while you are at it?

I really hope you find out what the problem is as its so annoying so know that there is a problem but not being able to find out what it is!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 15:22   #6
losboz

Quote:
Hmmmm.....interesting.

I really hope you find out what the problem is as its so annoying so know that there is a problem but not being able to find out what it is!
Thanks and I hope not !

All tyres checked for balancing and condition at my 'friends' place. Just the R/OS out of balance by a smidgen so sorted it as it went on the front
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 15:49   #7
losboz

Quote:
Hmmmm.....interesting.

Thanks and I hope not !

All tyres checked for balancing and condition at my 'friends' place. Just the R/OS out of balance by a smidgen so sorted it as it went on the front
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 20:14   #8
benr7310
Master Member

My v60 is the same. Has multiple geometry checks & adjustments etc.. nothing has sorted the pull to the left. It has been in for full suspension checks to make sure nothing is bent/twisted and nothing has been found.

I've put it down to the tyres as they are a brand I've never heard of before but they have a good 6mm on and I can't afford to change all 4. I have known people who have found that dodgy off brand tyres can cause a pull like this.

Ex-S40 Sport 2.0d with 180bhp & 300lbft
benr7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 21:34   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benr7310 View Post
My v60 is the same. Has multiple geometry checks & adjustments etc.. nothing has sorted the pull to the left. It has been in for full suspension checks to make sure nothing is bent/twisted and nothing has been found.

I've put it down to the tyres as they are a brand I've never heard of before but they have a good 6mm on and I can't afford to change all 4. I have known people who have found that dodgy off brand tyres can cause a pull like this.
Exactly , most slight pulling is down to tyres , try swapping the front wheels over or swap front to rear and see the difference .
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 07:05   #10
benr7310
Master Member

While you have the wheels off give them a clean and some sealant. Makes the job so much easier than when on the car!

One thing to check is driving on a road with the camber sloping down to the right (usually wrong side of the road in UK). My wheel straightens right up when the camber of the road changes.

Ex-S40 Sport 2.0d with 180bhp & 300lbft
benr7310 is offline   Reply With Quote