Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do S90/V90 Adblue engines avoid EGR woes?

Views : 3109

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2019, 18:49   #1
cauty

Default Do S90/V90 Adblue engines avoid EGR woes?

Hello all, as a first-time poster I apologise for the negative tone of the following.

As a once-happy owner of a 2014 V60 with D4 engine I've been somewhat dis-heartened by the EGR woes affecting the 4-cylinder engines.

My own car recently had the EGR 'fix' after the dreaded yellow light appeared. There's been no recurrence of the warning light yet but now there's an infrequent hiccup on light throttle when running cold. Power delivery also seems reduced below 2,000rpm, particularly when cold, with occasions where it pauses for a good couple of seconds before feeding the power in, even with the throttle planted to the floor. It feels like the engine management system is overriding throttle input to restrict emissions, maybe to reduce chances of soot build-up in the EGR pipes?

Then there was the recall letter I recently received about the inlet manifold fire risks, clearly related to the EGR issue (and discussed at length here on the forum). A concern and no fix in sight. Also, I've read much of the discussions about whether the EGR pipework/intercooler changes are actually a fix or just a temporary sticking plaster. How long will Volvo continue their goodwill payments if it's not a permanent fix?

Add to that recurring problems with the battery charge and stop/start, and recent hissy-fits from the alarm, and I find myself wanting to get rid of a car that was supposed to last me a good 10 years.

Anyway, the reason for this post. I don't want to give up on Volvo as I really do like their range and I've been looking at nearly new S90s and V90s, with the odd new-shape V60 creeping into my Auto Trader search results.

I was interested to learn about Volvo switching their diesel engines to using Adblue (an admission of defeat when it comes to their EGR design) and I'm wondering when this happened, how I can tell if a particular car uses Adblue without physically opening the filler cap and are these engines immune to the EGR problems? Finally, were these engines included in the fire risk recall (the letter says it affects 'a number of' 4-cyl engines from 2014 to 2019)?

Can anyone shed any light on this?
cauty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cauty For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 19:09   #2
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cauty View Post
Hello all, as a first-time poster I apologise for the negative tone of the following.

As a once-happy owner of a 2014 V60 with D4 engine I've been somewhat dis-heartened by the EGR woes affecting the 4-cylinder engines.

My own car recently had the EGR 'fix' after the dreaded yellow light appeared. There's been no recurrence of the warning light yet but now there's an infrequent hiccup on light throttle when running cold. Power delivery also seems reduced below 2,000rpm, particularly when cold, with occasions where it pauses for a good couple of seconds before feeding the power in, even with the throttle planted to the floor. It feels like the engine management system is overriding throttle input to restrict emissions, maybe to reduce chances of soot build-up in the EGR pipes?

Then there was the recall letter I recently received about the inlet manifold fire risks, clearly related to the EGR issue (and discussed at length here on the forum). A concern and no fix in sight. Also, I've read much of the discussions about whether the EGR pipework/intercooler changes are actually a fix or just a temporary sticking plaster. How long will Volvo continue their goodwill payments if it's not a permanent fix?

Add to that recurring problems with the battery charge and stop/start, and recent hissy-fits from the alarm, and I find myself wanting to get rid of a car that was supposed to last me a good 10 years.

Anyway, the reason for this post. I don't want to give up on Volvo as I really do like their range and I've been looking at nearly new S90s and V90s, with the odd new-shape V60 creeping into my Auto Trader search results.

I was interested to learn about Volvo switching their diesel engines to using Adblue (an admission of defeat when it comes to their EGR design) and I'm wondering when this happened, how I can tell if a particular car uses Adblue without physically opening the filler cap and are these engines immune to the EGR problems? Finally, were these engines included in the fire risk recall (the letter says it affects 'a number of' 4-cyl engines from 2014 to 2019)?

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Using high EGR before moving to selective catalytic reduction is not an admission of anything. Rather, it is a natural progression of following regulations and further reducing NOx emissions.
The Adblue versions still retain a fairly high level of EGR, otherwise they would need to use far more Adblue fluid per mile driven. Up to 5% of diesel fuel used would not be unusual for low EGR current engines, which means using 5 litres Adblue for every 100 litres of diesel. I don’t believe that the current Volvo engines use it in anything like that ratio or they would probably need 20 litres of Adblue for every fourth or fifth tankful of diesel.

Either way, it’s way down the list of something I have to worry about. Way down.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 23:48   #3
mr rusty

I reckon my adblue consumption is around 1litre / 1000 miles so around 110ish litres diesel
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 00:03   #4
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
I reckon my adblue consumption is around 1litre / 1000 miles so around 110ish litres diesel
Which is how and why top-ups are normally not required between normal service intervals on most cars. They consume about 1% relative to fuel.

The system is a lot of extra complication and in all applications it can and does occasionally fail and need repair.

Personally I would prefer to have it, but have it at a much higher consumption level to absolutely minimise the EGR required. It’s all about the compromises chosen by the engine designers to meet emissions regulations. There’s no set correct way of doing so.
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 07:06   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

The use of AdBlue/DEF results in a significant reduction to the volume of EGR required to meet the EURO 6 NOx limit, which is why manufacturers go to all the complexity of fitting it... God only knows why Volvo originally tried to achieve the standard without it! However the added complexity of the AdBlue delivery system brings its own problems, as Volvo owners have recently been reporting here... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ghlight=Adblue

There was also this recent 'Adblue Vs EGR' forum thread... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283590

Last edited by Zebster; Aug 6th, 2019 at 07:08.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 08:18   #6
Bendolfc
Premier Member

They did meet the standard just fine without out it, just it was a farce and pointless as in the real world it simply didn't do its job . As a result testing was changed and to meet the Euro 6d temp standard was impossible without ad blue.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 09:49   #7
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
God only knows why Volvo originally tried to achieve the standard without it! However the added complexity of the AdBlue delivery system brings its own problems
I'll take a wild guess.. maybe to avoid the added complexity?

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 10:07   #8
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
I'll take a wild guess.. maybe to avoid the added complexity?
Ha, probably! But, if so, that was not a sensible engineering decision and will cost Volvo a lot more in the long run.
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 13:40   #9
Haldex
Premier Member

I imagine quite the opposite- they managed to save millions of $$ by opting to postpone the AdBlue installation.. Only a fraction of non-AdBlue engines had issues.. I'm currently on my third Volvo EGR diesel- all in all over 250K problem-free kms. But then again, I pick and choose where I buy my diesel and 9 out of 10 fillings I buy premium- I imagine that helped as well..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 13:56   #10
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
I imagine quite the opposite- they managed to save millions of $$ by opting to postpone the AdBlue installation.. Only a fraction of non-AdBlue engines had issues.. I'm currently on my third Volvo EGR diesel- all in all over 250K problem-free kms. But then again, I pick and choose where I buy my diesel and 9 out of 10 fillings I buy premium- I imagine that helped as well..
Not sure what you mean by 'fraction' but obviously those numbers are growing... mine is on its second EGR valve, third EGR cooler and now awaiting the current recall work. The main forum thread on the EGR blockage subject has a huge number of owners reporting repairs that Volvo have funded, plus the recent threads (like this one) also mention rectification work. That 'fraction' is obviously not insignificant!

And how much will the current Volvo manifold recall (over half a million vehicles) cost them? And how can you put a figure on the reputational damage and resulting loss of future sales that Volvo must now suffer? I bet they now wish they'd fitted AdBlue to all VEA engines...

Tags
adblue, egr, s90, v90