Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can i use gel battery in Volvo S60 D5 2002?

Views : 528

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 01:38   #1
hewking

Default Can i use gel battery in Volvo S60 D5 2002?

hi All
I am considering buying gel battery for my Volvo S60 D5 2002. I would like to have battery that is good size and allows deeper drain during camping.

Shall i consider gel battery for this purpose at all ? Any particular brand?

If i should rather buy standard battery and replace the 8 year old, undersized 74AH battery is there any brand you would recommend ? I had the old battery(silver bosh) for 8 years already but it is rather too small i must say.

Regards
hewking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 07:53   #2
staffy460

optima red top
staffy460 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to staffy460 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 13:27   #3
hewking

Thanks for reply but is my 18 year young volvo capable of charging AGM battery?
They need constant current during charging and then constant voltage and my poor volvo might not know what is going on
Please advise me if you can
hewking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 15:47   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

This question lead me to reread a bunch of stuff regarding batteries.
As with all the other times, I didn't take notes because I don't need to. I just read until I got bored.

The AGM batteries' strongest feature appears to be a higher discharge rate for operating winches and large music systems whilst parked. Add to this resistance-to-vibration damage and you got THE battery for off-roaders and torturous, high speed boat racing.

AGMs don't "self-discharge" as much when not used. This is what makes them perfect for idle cars in a collection.

AGM's ability to be mounted upside-down from the boot lid is a feature few people use but it's mentioned all the time. Imagine that, obfuscation in a sales pitch.

The higher discharge rate (vis lead-acid batteries) means they can be smaller when used as "starting batteries". Unless you're installing a V8 in a 1960 Mini you have the room for a regular battery.

They are still highly vulnerable to overcharging. Keep this in mind if, in the course of human events, your battery is discharged by "leaving the lights on". Throwing Dad's old charger on it and going to bed will kill your premium AGM.

While I can't regurgitate all the technotes I've read, I do remember something about any charging system needing to be tailored to the specifics of an AGM; not too big a deal in our age of electronic sophistication. It's just that I don't believe you'll get what you pay for given that our cars were developed around FLA batteries.

Since I'm not a specialty user in any regard I've stayed with regular batteries.

When I install blue undercarriage lights and a stereo which can shatter shoppe windows as I drive by I'll look again into AGM batteries.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 18:19   #5
gammakeith

If you need the vehicle battery for camping then why not install a second battery. You can then add a charge relay or a battery to battery charger to keep it topped up. That way you don't need to worry about flattening the main vehicle battery.

Keith
gammakeith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gammakeith For This Useful Post:

Tags
s60 battery