Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting issue still.

Views : 9082

Replies : 200

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2020, 08:42   #41
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Thats prob why it needs the 90AH 800a cold start (SAE)

I didn't try the glow plug idea this morning as it was 8C, I did, however, put it in N and waited the 10+ seconds for the pump to finish, whilst cranking was quicker, it still took about 6 cranks and ya can feel the slight misfire.

I have bought another injector, also have the glow plugs coming, although the ones I did get before hadn't even got a slight blemish on them, looked like they'd never been used. Im gonna hold off on the starter motor for now but will see what the cables look like when I go under the bonnet sods law its gonna get colder now, single figures, may even see a wee flurry around the 7th
Batteries for diseasels are typically larger than their petrol counterparts for that exact reason.

I think you're right about the snow coming, the other day i noticed a strange pinky-yellowy tinge to the clouds that usually precedes snow or very cold weather at least, generally by about 2-3 weeks so would tie in with the 7tth as you suggest.

I keep threatening to sort the fuel pump priming on mine, for quite a while now i've flicked the starter so the pumps prime then turned the key again to start it which it is does "first pot over the top" - if i don't flick the starter then it cranks for several seconds before catching.

Shame you didn't try the second preheat this morning, 8C is still cold enough to need glow plugs normally. Might have given an extra clue.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 13:07   #42
Bashy
Aged Member

This morning I have mostly been screwing up....

Iv changed the plugs with new and cha gwd the injector with the 2nd user replacement, I forgot to screw on diesel pipe to injector, so had a bit of cleaning up to do around the injectors. Only noticed when it wouldmt start :/

On the plus side, it turned over a lot better, once I sorted the pipe and cleaned up, I noticed a tiny bit of bubbling around the injector, I used a new fitting kit too, so had to remove it, clean it up, rebent the clamp and fitted it again, no bubbling,

A lot of smoke but cleared up on the test drive, did about 6 miles, all seams ok, I won't know if the tappi g is resolved till I've been on a further trip (shopping Tuesday) but none so far, may know if the starting issue is resolved tomorrow morning hopefully.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 17:44   #43
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Fingers crossed for tomorrow morning then!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 03:28   #44
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Fingers crossed for tomorrow morning then!
Thanks, I am a little reluctant to try it lol

Should point out that it wasn't that cold yesterday, its only normally 1st thing, this was about 11am when I tried it, I normally take the boys out about 5:30-6am, of course, the time to play up is the exact time you never want it to, I always cringe cause of the neighbours :/ and I've not figured out which is quieter, long cranking or 2 shorter goes in quick succession. Will let ya know as soon as I do
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 08:27   #45
Bashy
Aged Member

Morning, sadly its worse than its ever been, twas farting like a goodun for about 20 seconds, I held it at 1K rpm, then settled, I think I got another dud injector, at least.

Original injector misfired about 40% (100% no fire in said cylinder)

I cant seem to win, 1st injector was much batter re misfire, there was about 10% still there but it produced ticking/tapping.

This injector about 60-70% misfiring, seemed to have no ticking/tapping.

Gonna get in touch with the seller, I believe it was a scrappage sort of used parts place so hopefully there will be no hindrance.

I doubt its the glow plugs as that's 2 sets plus original ones with the same issue. Deffo injector, I am trying this way else it will be £100 for the injector plus £100 deposit, then it's gonna cost god knows how much to get it programmed :/ its a lot to find for me....

IU still cant get over how much it is to get the reconditioned, the guys off of ebay come out on top cause they actually gain an injector, where as the place in Attleborough are recon'ing mine only, I know times are hard, but that's taking the mouse....
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 08:49   #46
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That's not good news at all about the injectors. Do you use any sort of injector cleaner at all? Might be worth getting some and giving it a double-dose then a fast run between Fiveways and Thetford Sainsburys roundabouts and back again, just to give the injectors a heavy duty clean, or at least start the heavy duty clean with a bit of force.

Alternatively, what about this place, not far from you :

https://www.yell.com/biz/universal-d...andon-1391696/

Don't know if they'd be any better on price but at least more local.

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Nov 30th, 2020 at 08:59. Reason: Crossed posts
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 08:50   #47
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
How did you get on with it this morning?
See my last post
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 08:59   #48
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
See my last post
......... and mine!

Old Nov 30th, 2020, 09:05   #49
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
......... and mine!
Haha, not sure what happened there, poss cache issue :/
Oh ya changed it lol

I have been using reddex injector cleaner for a few months now.

Thanks, I will give them a ring and see if they recondition injectors
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 09:20   #50
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Haha, not sure what happened there, poss cache issue :/
Oh ya changed it lol

I have been using reddex injector cleaner for a few months now.

Thanks, I will give them a ring and see if they recondition injectors
My internet is a bit slow at the moment, although i refreshed it in case you'd replied, it didn't show anything different - then after posting asking how it went, suddenly i got an email (10-15 minutes after you'd already posted) telling me you'd posted again!

They may also be able to shed some more light on the problem, i know on the Ford diesels of a similar era they are very prone to injection pump failure and if memory serves, the 5-pot Volvo and 5-pot Ford engines are closely related. They may suggest a fuel system pressure check to help diagnose things or something similar.

Either way, let us know how you get on when you ring them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: