Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo engine oil ACEA grades

Views : 819

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2020, 19:05   #1
badm88n

Default Volvo engine oil ACEA grades

Hi,
(2008 XC90 D5)
Changed that engine oil and filter today. Got the oil and filter from the parts department of the local Volvo main dealer. Now its all done and back together I noticed that that oil they gave me is Volvo 0W-30 ACEA A3/B3/B4. The label in the engine bay says ACEA A5/B5 and the owners manual says to check the label in the engine bay.

I gave them the reg and vin when ordering the parts. Should they have given me an A5/B5 oil?

I have seen what Google says about the different ACEA grades and am not worried it will harm the engine. Just want to know if anyone else has had similar experience?

Cheers
badm88n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 22:19   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badm88n View Post
Hi,
(2008 XC90 D5)
Changed that engine oil and filter today. Got the oil and filter from the parts department of the local Volvo main dealer. Now its all done and back together I noticed that that oil they gave me is Volvo 0W-30 ACEA A3/B3/B4. The label in the engine bay says ACEA A5/B5 and the owners manual says to check the label in the engine bay.

I gave them the reg and vin when ordering the parts. Should they have given me an A5/B5 oil?

I have seen what Google says about the different ACEA grades and am not worried it will harm the engine. Just want to know if anyone else has had similar experience?

Cheers
It should be A5/B5 spec according to volvo for the last 14 years at least
what you have might be ok for 12000 miles ..
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 23:20   #3
badm88n

Thanks I will go talk to them on Monday, they should know better. You would expect the main dealer to get it right. There were service kits on Ebay but I thought may as well pick it up locally as you what your getting but guess not 😐
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 09:29   #4
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Unacceptable for a main dealer equipped with Reg & VIN, I agree. I would be expecting them to replace the oil for you (as in do the change).

Last edited by Bonefishblues; Nov 22nd, 2020 at 09:42.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 10:47   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks I will go talk to them on Monday, they should know better. You would expect the main dealer to get it right. There were service kits on Ebay but I thought may as well pick it up locally as you what your getting but guess not 😐
you have been served by an individual who has not been trained properly .I would ask to see his volvo parts training certificate !! Thats what certificates are for , for showing ..
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 17:57   #6
badm88n

So I met with the parts guy today, at the main dealer. Explained what had happened and as expected he said "no no no its the right oil, I wouldn't have sold it to you otherwise." I then asked him if I sent my car in for a service would they use the same oil? (i.e. 0W-30 ACEA A3/B3/B4 instead of ACEA A5/B5) and he said "yes, this is the only oil that Volvo have been sending us for sometime now"

I didn't want to press any further, I could have, but as they are local I didn't want to burn any bridges. The lesson is to check the parts they give you (if possible) before use/installation. I should have checked the labels on the cans but its the first car I have had where its not only important to check the weight of the oil but the ACEA rating too

Will change it out before 10k and all should be good. Thanks for all your replies and suggestions
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 21:13   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
So I met with the parts guy today, at the main dealer. Explained what had happened and as expected he said "no no no its the right oil, I wouldn't have sold it to you otherwise." I then asked him if I sent my car in for a service would they use the same oil? (i.e. 0W-30 ACEA A3/B3/B4 instead of ACEA A5/B5) and he said "yes, this is the only oil that Volvo have been sending us for sometime now"

I didn't want to press any further, I could have, but as they are local I didn't want to burn any bridges. The lesson is to check the parts they give you (if possible) before use/installation. I should have checked the labels on the cans but its the first car I have had where its not only important to check the weight of the oil but the ACEA rating too

Will change it out before 10k and all should be good. Thanks for all your replies and suggestions
What he told you sounds like complete nonsense. Volvo not sending the correct spec oil to their dealerships? I understand you not wanting to burn any bridges though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you have been served by an individual who has not been trained properly .I would ask to see his volvo parts training certificate !! Thats what certificates are for , for showing ..
Volvo should have asked him for that.
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 21:37   #8
Boatie
Master Member

Tell me, would this dealer be in a group that covers parts of Bucks, Herts & N W London with dealerships covering other makes as well? Cryptic I know. You could also name the dealer. If I'm correct I had a run in with one of their non Volvo dealers only today.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 07:31   #9
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Acea A5/B5 is the correct spec for an 08 model, I didnt know volvo still did A3/B4.
It wont hurt, if anything it'll be better, but thats a long story.
A5/B5 and A3/B4 are both extended drain oils, will both do the same mileage, theres only really one key difference, the hths value. A5/B5 is low/mid hths and A3/B4 is high hths, you dont use A5/B5 in an engine thats not designed/suitable but the other way round is ok in this instance. Theoretically you may see a minute drop in economy but I doubt you will.
Im not talking about saps before anybody mistakes hths for saps. Its nothing to do with anti-wear additives and/or dpf, both are full saps as they are A/B spec oils not C oils.

If its not in and you're concerned, return it and source A5/B5 from a big brand instead, or another dealer. If its in, dont worry!
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 10:19   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

It gets worse doesn't it !

Volvo send them WHAT THEY ORDER ! so maybe the parts manager is getting it cheaper .. People need to know they are NOT using the oil Volvo recommend .. so any engine problems, oil samples are taken and they will be liable .. irrespective whether it is safe to use or not ..