Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 issues, turbo adjustment

Views : 56839

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2011, 18:47   #91
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

glad to be of help Fred lets hope it stays that way
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 19:03   #92
colzak

Unhappy

Just done another vac test between tcg and turbo regulator, with tcv bypassed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI8iwX6sS10

Pretty much the same as fgx318, (freds), but the vac needle isn,t smooth. I think thats because I used a very small bore pipe to reach into the car. The engine still has a blanked egr. which i intend removing tommorrow...

Tried to do a vac test on the pump,,,,whoops,,think i maxed out the vac gauge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBJ-i6cdLLc

Today I had my passenger side door mirror angled towards the bottom rear of the car whie driving and noticed heavy soot/black discharge almost everytime i applied throttle,,,previously un-noticed through the rearview mirror..This cars really poorly..
colzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 20:57   #93
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by colzak View Post
Just done another vac test between tcg and turbo regulator, with tcv bypassed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI8iwX6sS10

Pretty much the same as fgx318, (freds), but the vac needle isn,t smooth. I think thats because I used a very small bore pipe to reach into the car. The engine still has a blanked egr. which i intend removing tommorrow...

Tried to do a vac test on the pump,,,,whoops,,think i maxed out the vac gauge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBJ-i6cdLLc

Today I had my passenger side door mirror angled towards the bottom rear of the car whie driving and noticed heavy soot/black discharge almost everytime i applied throttle,,,previously un-noticed through the rearview mirror..This cars really poorly..
Colin i take it that you have checked the interboiler.
mike
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 01:18   #94
colzak

Aye Mike , IC is brand new and charge pipes checked,,inlet pipe checked too, turbo spools freely,,,and makes the rubber pipes rock hard,,,they even bloat slghtly with pressure,,pipes have been cleaned too,,egr still blanked though, which will be remedied tommorow...what do you think of my vac pump test breaking my gauge,,,,,,,,?
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 22:17   #95
colzak

,, I decided to clean the turbo after considering the improvements that Fred reported in his post. The turbo was in a similar condition to Freds, perhaps not quite as sticky, the vane actuator ring came off during dissassembly so not sure how sticky the movement was prior to cleaning, the actuator arm seemed free enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw-f9FLWT8I

but certainly moves a lot more freely now that the clean has been done....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_lbE9XziKI

I did try and extract the turbo from above the car at first, thinkin there was plenty of room when upper toque bar is removed,,,but there isn,t...To remove the turbo, (for those without a guide)...you will also have to remove the exhaust down pipe as the turbo is extracted through the transmission tunnel (a term more familiar with rear wheel cars). So start by putting car on ramps,,then stand on a beer crate or something to access all fixings from the bonnet side.

Remove,,sump panel,,,, exhaust down pipe,,,then turbo..
The exhaust has 3 x 15mm (across flats AF) nuts at the turbo and 1 bolt holding the exhaust bracket. Take off both front and rear plates below the cat,,carefull as brake pipes are clipped into the front one

The turbo has 3 x 13mm AF nuts, connecting to the manifold (1 of them is undrneath the turbo). 1 oil feed banjo union on top and oil feed return pipe underneath held on by 2 T30 torx screws. 1 turbo inlet on the side and 1 turbo charge pipe underneath....good luck

I still have my turbo to re-install so can,t report anything yet,,,
The Following User Says Thank You to colzak For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 23:26   #96
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo do not start a trend ffs lol .
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 23:39   #97
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgx318 View Post
Mike,
Just to avoid any mistake, when you say 20hg you mean InHg (the outer graduations are Inch Hg on my gauge), if so everything is fine here.

My concerns are the following :
At idle, no vacuum in the pads, and needle is fluctuating - Same as yours

Past 1100 vacuum is derivated from tcv vent to the pads and vacuum then increase in the whole system, providing approx 600 mmhg to the turbo actuator, vanes are in "full boost" position - Same as yours

As engine revs up, less turbo boost is needed so the ECM send current to the TCG so that less vacuum is applied to the actuator - Same as yours

Past 2200 rpm vacuum drops to 150 mmhg where yours drops to 350 mmhg.

On my workmate's car it also drops to 350 and don't decrease anymore.

Since mine is still decreasing I just think that the ECM have the information that to much turbo boost is built up past 2200 rpm and try to correct this turbo boost by sending a signal to the TCG so that less vacuum applies to the actuator, correcting the turbo boost... Not easy to explain...

Anyway, the fact is that the engine works perfectly, and as you bet in a previous post I have a big smile on my face !

However, thanks again for your help Mike and thanks to all of you here, you definetly help me on this one and avoid a waste of money....
if you had taken your car into a dealers you would have been lighter for a new turbo they would not have done that i suspect. strip and clean
mike
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 11:35   #98
fgx318

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
if you had taken your car into a dealers you would have been lighter for a new turbo they would not have done that i suspect. strip and clean
mike
Indeed ! Strip and clean is not part of dealers vocabulary ! Retail price of a new turbo £1200 + gaskets + screws/nuts + labor + diagnosis = potatoes at lunch and diner for ages !

I did more than 250 miles since cleaning and I must admit I'm very happy with the outcome... I hope that you're problem will be fixed with the cleaning you performed on your turbo Colin !

For the turbo removal out of the car, I tried different locations, under the car between the steering rack and engine block but I failed, didn't want to remove the exhaust front section as you did, so I tried by the top and after some effort it goes out by the passenger side (your driver side) but that was a very tight fit and I think it was possible on my car because there is no master vac and master cylinder on this side.

Just tell us when it's back into place....
fgx318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 11:55   #99
S60KSX

Just wanted to say thanks for an informative and well-illustrated post, which has given me the confidence to strip and clean my turbo if all else fails in solving my ECM 6805.

In your case, nothing was broken in the turbo. Have heard cases where the vane ring is cracked, which is then a head-scratcher in terms of getting spare components.

Great post, well done. Will be keeping an eye on this to see if you report any problems when you`ve done more miles. Thanks again.
S60KSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 12:02   #100
colzak

Thanks for the phone call Mike, I,m taking a tea break now having got the turbo ready for reinstall,,,and yes, I found a replacement clip for the one i broke on the turbo vane/regualtor arm pivot..(note to self, use propper circlip pliers on circlips)...

As discussed, I,m not expecting any significant improvement from this strip and clean, simply because although the turbo vane assembly was clearly sooty, the individual vanes seemed to move relatively freely, slight grittiness, but still didn,t require much effort to move them individually, I,m already contemplating the servicability of my injectors and with hindsight should of checked em before now,,,but out of curiosity, I just had to get a look at this turbo lol..

enjoyed the crack about the vac and boost gauge but meant to ask is the.....boost gauge tapped into the air/egr mixer,,and vac gauge between tcg and turbo regulator?
The Following User Says Thank You to colzak For This Useful Post: