Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 145 Restoration Project Of 'Margo'

Views : 9032

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2023, 18:49   #41
Moomoo
VOC Member

Yes, me too!👍😁
Old Nov 8th, 2023, 22:07   #42
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Alan,

Work on the workshop extension is underway, just a tad less progressed than hoped, oil tank relocated, and ducted 25mm2 mains tails under our drive to where it will go in the new workshop fuseboard.

Unfortunately I’ve just finished couple weeks work replacing barge boards and capping on our house, couple of days work went to nearly 2 weeks as I had to replace roof membrane of around 5m2 where starlings had been having a party. Of course when I was up at gable apex, you got a great view of the roof condition in general, all ok, apart from one chimney pot where the cement flaunching around the base had cracked. Therefore I’ve now got scaffolder coming next week to do a wrap around scaffold, so I can remove the 6 pots, and rebed. Will end up also redoing the lead flashing skirt around the chimney to roof tiles.

Also I did sort of promise the better half I would replace a couple of house doors, as part of the sweetener to me getting the 145 a couple of weeks ago.

Did you have any joy in your property hunt in Lincolnshire??

Cheers
Steve

PS - one positive though, is that Moomoo keeps putting eBay temptations in my way for the parts chest, wiper motor was the last. I am not entirely not guilty on this front, as I seem to keep buying various books and magazines, Practical Classics Book on Auto Electrics dropped through the door today. Some 70’s 80’s Cars and Car Conversions magazines are great fun, until you look at the prices 😀😀
Thank you for the update Steve; it is satisfying to do things properly. Will you continue work on the garage during the winter months or start again in the spring?

Regarding properties in Lincolnshire: I have not found anything suitable and at a sensible price in Mablethorpe so far, so I’m going to cast the net a bit wider and have a look at some likely candidates in Skegness next week. Mablethorpe has a few unusual issues: there is very little newer (less than 20 year old) housing stock and much of what remains is rather dilapidated. The market is somewhat dominated by a single estate agent that has tried to inflate prices. The result is there are lots of very similar properties on the market that aren’t selling (only 18% are currently SSTC, which is much lower than is normal), but the agents are reluctant to advise their clients to reduce prices. I suspect the levee will break soon as some distressed sales appear.

In the meantime Skeggy seems much more promising. It is a larger town and the market is more competitive. I think I’ll probably find something suitable there next week. I’m quite looking forward to acquiring another garage/workshop or two so I can buy a few more cars and motorcycles. A neighbour of my parents has offered me a 1959 Matchless twin, but just at the moment I’d have nowhere to put another project bike - so I need to get a cut on and acquire another place with a nice, big garage close to the sea sooner rather than later.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Nov 8th, 2023 at 22:09.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2023, 23:40   #43
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Alan,

Sorry to hear your property resourcing is not finalised, what you need is a industrial garage / storage with house, or just bedroom/kitchen attached😀😀

I’ve got a few days left of insurance cover on Margo till 14th, so hopefully she’ll make it to Southwold.

Talking about insurance, as i have fully comp on my main 940 would the third party cover me driving another car cover me for Margo??

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 08:29   #44
Moomoo
VOC Member

That insurance thing has puzzled me for years!

You could drive my car. Third party cover. My car is insured and legally covered. If it weren’t then no , I don’t think you could drive it and be covered.
I believe we can only drive a vehicle that is not ours, if it is covered by insurance , on our policy.

Otherwise, I could insure a cheap car and legally drive anything.

Still not sure Steve.🤔
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 09:35   #45
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Alan,

Sorry to hear your property resourcing is not finalised, what you need is a industrial garage / storage with house, or just bedroom/kitchen attached😀😀

I’ve got a few days left of insurance cover on Margo till 14th, so hopefully she’ll make it to Southwold.

Talking about insurance, as i have fully comp on my main 940 would the third party cover me driving another car cover me for Margo??

Cheers
Steve
... yes, what I'm looking for is a 4 car garage with a lean-to house.

Re the insurance; the answer is no. A car that is loaned to you must be insured by someone else (at least that is the normal arrangement - but check your policy). Classic can insurance is cheap - about £60/year for GAM, so why not just insure it now?

Alan
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 10:12   #46
Steve 940
Premier Member

Many thanks chaps, much as I should have known deep down really.

I was on multicar with Admiral due on 14th Nov, last year premium for my 945 for 10k/pa including business, better half RAV4 2005 and premium was around £500, both of us with 30+ years full NCB. Been with them over 15 years.

This years renewal over £900 and they wanted £200 for Margo to do 3k/pa.

I’ll get Margo to Southwold before the 14th, then I’ll get classic cover on a standalone policy.👍

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 13:15   #47
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Many thanks chaps, much as I should have known deep down really.

I was on multicar with Admiral due on 14th Nov, last year premium for my 945 for 10k/pa including business, better half RAV4 2005 and premium was around £500, both of us with 30+ years full NCB. Been with them over 15 years.

This years renewal over £900 and they wanted £200 for Margo to do 3k/pa.

I’ll get Margo to Southwold before the 14th, then I’ll get classic cover on a standalone policy.👍

Cheers
Steve
It is certainly worth shopping around a bit regarding the mainstream insurance Steve. My renewal quote for the Skoda arrived last week - it had increased from £260 last year to £430 this - so I’ve discontinued it (from 17 Nov) and found similar cover with another mainstream company at £290.

GAM’s insurance was £65 for 3,000 miles/year and the usual classic car restrictions. At a price like that why would you be worried about moving the motorcar before 14 November? Why not just take out a classic car policy from then and drive it home at your leisure?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Nov 9th, 2023 at 13:19.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 19:35   #48
Moomoo
VOC Member

Parts chest?😈

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126178167...Bk9SR6KvoNn2Yg
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 19:55   #49
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Oh you really know how to rub it in……. Probably similar to Margo once her shiny paint is removed, but a third of the price 🙁🙁 albeit it’s missing a few parts, but not insurmountable.

Hey ho, Cheers
Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 19:57   #50
Moomoo
VOC Member

Would have hated you missing it! 🧐👍