Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New windscreen in-phew

Views : 679

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2014, 14:07   #1
niveketak
66 Amazon

Default New windscreen in-phew

It was with some trepidation that I removed the screen from Ruby. The old one was badly chipped and terrible to see through in sunny weather or when it rained both of which it has done this summer in equal measures.

The old one came out quite easily and then it was fingers crossed the rust wouldn't be too bad along the bottom rail. Hardly any rust at all as per the image. I scraped off the odd bubble and treated it to some rust converter then the new screen went back in, again without too much difficulty. Then came the trim, thanks to Volvonic for the fitting sequence which was a great help although the swearing and launching into space of the odd adapted screwdriver was testament to what a pig of a job this is.

I did wonder afterwards whether it would be any easier fitting the trim to the rubber seal after the seal was fitted to the screen. Too late now but next time........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000051.JPG (338.7 KB, 39 views)
niveketak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 16:53   #2
volvonic272

Hiya,
I'm pleased you got there in the end.
As to fitting the trim to the rubber prior to fitting. I did try this and struggled even more so.
There is nothing rigid to push or pull against and as a result it kept coming out of the lip
It felt awkward and clumsy to do it that way.

Dave
volvonic272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 21:16   #3
Carlsson 986

Default Trim

Congratulations on getting that trim fitted - I have yet to build up enough enthusiasm to try this again after giving up in disgust and despair on the second attempt!

Fancy coming round???
Carlsson 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 07:22   #4
niveketak
66 Amazon

Yes, hadn't considered it being a bit floppy. It was just difficult reaching the middle of the screen while trying to hold onto the properly seated trim. The corners are the worse for popping out at one end just as you seat the other.

Would love to help Carlsson but it's a bit of a trek and I probably drink too much tea and eat too many biscuits to make it financially viable. If you speak nicely to it as your are fitting the trim it might respond better than mine did when I was swearing at it, that just seemed to make it detach itself in more than one place at a time. I also found, maybe coincidence, that once I had removed all the WD40 and silicone spray, the second one went in a bit easier. I had started to think that the lubricant allowing it to "clip" in was also lubricating it's way out.

At the end of the day it's just an absolute *B* of a job that I hope I never have to do again.
niveketak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 08:54   #5
Underdrive

Many years ago when there were still plenty of cars around without bonded screens, I learnt from others in the motor trade to use a strong solution of washing-up liquid and water to lubricate the windscreen rubber. This is just as effective for the trim. Given the known problem with Amazon screen surrounds the possibility of moisture getting trapped in there means I would suggest using clear waxoyl to lubricate the rubber and keep moisture out afterwards. Waxoyl becomes thinner and less lumpy if you warm it slightly.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 10:53   #6
volvonic272

Hiya,
I tried to do it without any lubricant as advised by someone on the forum.
Not a cat in hells chance, wasted hours trying to do it that way.
Perhaps if the old trim is being reused into the old rubber then maybe that would work.because it already has the correct shape.
Mine was all new parts which makes it double difficult.
It's bags of patience that are needed.
I found that once you have got one corner or one bit , leave it so the silicone can dry off and then carry on , otherwise it may slide out. That's when the frustration starts.
It's a relief when it's all in. Lol
Dave
volvonic272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 17:23   #7
Tail
Master Member

I would never try to fit the screen with the chrome trim fitted first because once its in place it sort of acts as spreader to the rubber and i couldn't find a bendy thin enough nozzle to get the sealant in behind. Much easier to fit the rubber then fit the trim after you have sealed in behind the rubber.

Guess i was lucky when i fitted my trim using some speaker wire to pull the rubber out as the trim was helped into place,it only took about half an hour, a two man job though
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 18:25   #8
Alf ista
Premier Member

It is a bit of a job alright. I was lucky enough too, was able to do it myself with heavy cord and masking tape. Got quite good at it after a while.
The trim is meant to be fitted after though. Thats how they did it at the factory. As said, if the trim is fitted it gets in the way of being able to properly seal the rubber. And that is the most important bit! Really seal it...