Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wipers and washers packed up

Views : 1397

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2015, 15:17   #1
niveketak
66 Amazon

Default Wipers and washers packed up

Ruby's washer and wipers have packed up, the switch of which is close to where I have been working on the temp gauge. Putting 2 and 2 together I have concluded I have somehow damaged the wiring to or from the switch. I have a Haynes manual which is next to useless. Has anyone got an understandable wiring diagram which may assist me to trace the likely problem. Maybe foolishly I assumed it was not the switch itself and all 4 fuses are intact. On that point there is no power to the 3rd fuse from the top which may be part of the issue but I dont know which fuse is for the wipers or if it has one of its own. Thanks in anticipation

Kevin
niveketak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 16:14   #2
222s
Amazoniste

All the factory manuals, including wiring diagrams, can be downloaded from here:

http://www.volvoamazonpictures.se/do...manuals_en.php

Worth having a browse around that site, as all the parts books, handbooks and brochures etc are also on there.

For wiring and electrical related issues, Ron Kwas' excellent website may also be able to assist:

http://www.sw-em.com/

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 17:10   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Kevin;

Wipers/Washer are Ignition powered, Fuse 1 protected Loads...as are Blinker, Fuel Gauge, Blower, and several other items.

...so first, I suggest you simply turn Ign On with key, then try Blinkers or Blower...if they don't work, Fuse 1 is suspect and needs to be checked at Fuse Block. If not blown, try spinning fuse to cut through possible oxidation...if that returns power, deduct two points for lack of electrical maintenance(!), then clean fuses and FB terminals and reinstall with ACZP.

If Blinkers and Blower do work, you have indeed likely dislodged something at the Wiper Switch while working on Temp Gauge...a visual check may quickly find it, but removing Knob, then Nut of Wiper Switch, then carefully extracting switch and letting it dangle below Dashboard for inspection might be easier on your back...disco Bat first to prevent occurrence of undesired plasma!

Let us know what you find!

Good Hunting!

222s; Thanks for reference and kind words!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Aug 12th, 2015 at 17:19.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 17:28   #4
MikeKiernan

Yes I had a similar problem, and after a lot of head-scratching found that I had dislodged the main connection to the rear of the switch. There wasn't much slack in the cable and the crimp style connection was a little loose.

Hope you find the cause ok.

Mike
MikeKiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 20:59   #5
niveketak
66 Amazon

Thanks guys, the blower and indicator and lights all work, the only things that don't are the wipers and washers. I tried to do it today laid on my back again but its too hot and sticky and I gave up. Switch out tomorrow when I have traced which wire goes where, will post when they work again or at least I find where the problem isn't. Will also find out what fuse 3 actually does.

Kevin
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 14:15   #6
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Kevin;

Studying the Wiring Diagram for a 122 (http://www.sw-em.com/122S%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg ), Fuse 3 is for Marker and Instrumentation Lighting.

Cheers
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 15:40   #7
niveketak
66 Amazon

Thanks Ron

Strangely I am not sure whether the instrument panel lights work or not I haven't driven it in the dark so will check that. There is no feed to the fuse at all so will check where that has gone wrong too. What do you mean by markers?
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 16:53   #8
Volvo_133
VOC member

markers are sidelights. Hence fuse 3 is live with ignition on and off.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 21:31   #9
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Kevin;

What we call "Marker", maybe you know them as "Parking" lights (I see now that's what they're called on Wiring Diagram). If Off is position 0, these are powered at position 1 of Light Switch.

They are sourced from terminal 58 of Light Switch to Fuse 3, then to vehicle corners as well as back to Instrument Panel supplying Fixed and Variable lamps.

Cheers
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 06:42   #10
niveketak
66 Amazon

Thanks again, should have known really I suppose, bit of a mystery why it is dead then as the marker lights do work, more investigations. Electrics are not my favourite subject though why i should find it such a mystery I have no idea.