Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Cars App Range Estimate

Views : 1108

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2022, 11:19   #1
segakid

Default Volvo Cars App Range Estimate

Does anyone know how the EV range estimate works on the Volvo Cars app? My car should have 50+ miles of EV range when fully charged but currently estimates 36 miles. I believe it uses the temperature to inform this as well but, yesterday it was fully charged and expected 38 miles and it is warmer today than yesterday. So not sure how it arrives at these figures.
segakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 13:42   #2
cvsmjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by segakid View Post
Does anyone know how the EV range estimate works on the Volvo Cars app? My car should have 50+ miles of EV range when fully charged but currently estimates 36 miles. I believe it uses the temperature to inform this as well but, yesterday it was fully charged and expected 38 miles and it is warmer today than yesterday. So not sure how it arrives at these figures.
What model do you have? Do you achieve 36-38 miles pure electric?
cvsmjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 14:01   #3
segakid

V60 T6. It's difficult to say if I ever reach 36 as I haven't had it long (just over a week) and haven't tended to do more than 30 miles before charging again. I'm just interested where the app get's it's figure from.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 17:27   #4
griffin447

Quote:
Originally Posted by segakid View Post
V60 T6. It's difficult to say if I ever reach 36 as I haven't had it long (just over a week) and haven't tended to do more than 30 miles before charging again. I'm just interested where the app get's it's figure from.
It’s a factory range and then as you drive it plummets. When I first get in my car the pure range is 25. By the time I’ve done 5 miles half the battery is gone…
griffin447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 19:05   #5
segakid

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin447 View Post
It’s a factory range and then as you drive it plummets. When I first get in my car the pure range is 25. By the time I’ve done 5 miles half the battery is gone…
So mine should be the new 50+ mile range model. So is it just that the app doesn’t know about the new batteries? I get the change when driving on the dashboard as this is the same as your mpg but I don’t quite get the app changing it’s range estimate from 36/38 etc. Unless that too is based on your driving to date and the sort of speeds you have been driving at.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 21:40   #6
tronicx83

Arrow

50 miles vs 36 is difference between a car on a rolling road at a fixed speed with no air friction, hills or a heavy footed driver vs realistic driving, driver and environmental conditions.

Our XC90 is billed as 40miles from the factory (18kwh version) - realistically we get about 33.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 21:59   #7
Oop north

It’s very cold, wet and windy here at the moment and that has a huge impact - the 50 miles is in a laboratory not on the road. Driven gently my ipace is currently managing 200 miles on journeys around 20-30 miles. A motorway run is neare 160. Summer the norm is around 225 and ideal 250. Also how you drive has an effect and the kind of roads you drive on. The bendy roads where impoverished are a awful for range
Oop north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 07:58   #8
Ian0803

Having only recently purchased a Volvo again, I am fairly new to this forum, however I read many questions, complaints and disappointments about the real world range, estimated range when driving EV's or PHEV's
As the previous posters say, in most EV's, the range available is generally a pure guess based on the previous journey/charge. It can also show the published range if preset by Volvo on a full charge, which rapidly drops as soon as you drive off.
On my EV, the app mirrors what the car states and gives the range based on with and without climate control. Depending on the weather, journey and how I drive, this figure can quickly increase or decrease. I have never achieved or seen the published numbers in real world driving and in adverse conditions, especially if at motorway speeds, the range can be as low as 50% of the published figures. I have seen efficiency numbers ranging from 1.5 to 3.7 miles/Kwh. There are BMW iX3 owners with a published range of 280+ miles achieving as low as 180 miles on a full charge depending on conditions, even if their predicted range at the start of the drive is showing 250+ miles.

I think this Volvo article I posted before gives a clear picture on how the manufacturers numbers are achieved and what to expect when driving.
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...l-topics/range
Ian0803 is offline   Reply With Quote