Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hose from air filter line

Views : 362

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2020, 05:07   #1
gle240

Default Hose from air filter line

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and also a new owner of a 1984 Volvo 240 wagon, B23A, M47.

I'm at the beginning of the slow process of rebuilding this car, and I have for now one question regarding the connection on the air hose from the air filter to the carb.
There is a small connection (See attached photo), right near the carb inlet, which I don't know where it should be connected to. I didn't find an answer to this on the web.

Where is the other end of this pipe should be connected?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FilterHose.jpg (197.7 KB, 17 views)
gle240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2020, 08:25   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

On page 6.17, Section 11.1b of my Red Haynes manual, there is a diagram of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system.
It shows a hose from the connector elbow looking very like yours, and shows the hose running via a flame trap just above the "black box" oil separator, tucked down behind the inlet manifold by cylinder no. 3.

The purpose is to route crankcase gases back into the air intake.
It does say "Different models will be equipped with various combinations of the PCV system components depending upon state and country".

Does the shape of the other end of the hose give any clue as to the route it might take, or the distance away of its destination?
Its purpose is clearly to draw air in, so it does seem to be some kind of crankcase breather circuit.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 11:05   #3
gle240

Thanks for the reply.

Few days later, I've received my Haynes manual by mail and looked for the same drawing.
It does look like part of the PCV system which wasn't connected for some reason.
I ordered some of the PCV system parts and will try to rebuilt it in the upcoming weeks.
gle240 is offline   Reply With Quote