Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2024012

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 10:45   #1181
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

'Morning, Alan, pleased all's well. The oil pressure switch is not ideally situated. It is also very easy to dislodge the wiring when changing the filter; I always made a point of double-checking it's security following an oil change.

Regards, John.
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 10:56   #1182
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Might be worth renewing the oil pressure switch itself as well Alan. The same problem can cause the switch to leak and eventual catastrophic failure which causes instant loss of oil pressure.

Making a new loom shouldn't present too many difficulties, many of the plug housings and crimp terminals are still available from Volvo so you just need the wire. However it might also be prudent to use pattern connector housings instead of the Volvo ones as they have proved less than durable.

A couple of my "go to" autoelectrics suppliers are Auto Electric Supplies and Vehicle Wiring Products and maybe neither are the cheapest for certain things, i've never had a quality problem with anything i've bought from either. I've tried a few other suppliers and without naing names, these are the first on my list because i've had quality problems elsewhere.

If memory serves, you only have the oil pressure switch, temperature gauge, tacho feed, switched ignition +12V, and starter energise wires on that part of the loom so as long as it has a convenient multiplug to breakout from the rest of the loom, you shouldn't find it particularly labour intensive or time consuming.
For the oil pressure switch wiring that's subject to heat, i'd advise some nylon sleeving over the outside of the wire to the switch in the area it's exposed to heat.

Not sure how wise it would be to take the RB completely off the road during winter. Cars don't generally respond well to lack of use. Even if you only used it to transport Bob for his walk each day, that would be better than not using it at all.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 12:21   #1183
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
'Morning, Alan, pleased all's well. The oil pressure switch is not ideally situated. It is also very easy to dislodge the wiring when changing the filter; I always made a point of double-checking it's security following an oil change.

Regards, John.
I agree John,
I can't do anything about the location but I can put a better connector on the end of the wire.
Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 12:37   #1184
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Might be worth renewing the oil pressure switch itself as well Alan. The same problem can cause the switch to leak and eventual catastrophic failure which causes instant loss of oil pressure.

Making a new loom shouldn't present too many difficulties, many of the plug housings and crimp terminals are still available from Volvo so you just need the wire. However it might also be prudent to use pattern connector housings instead of the Volvo ones as they have proved less than durable.

A couple of my "go to" autoelectrics suppliers are Auto Electric Supplies and Vehicle Wiring Products and maybe neither are the cheapest for certain things, i've never had a quality problem with anything i've bought from either. I've tried a few other suppliers and without naing names, these are the first on my list because i've had quality problems elsewhere.

If memory serves, you only have the oil pressure switch, temperature gauge, tacho feed, switched ignition +12V, and starter energise wires on that part of the loom so as long as it has a convenient multiplug to breakout from the rest of the loom, you shouldn't find it particularly labour intensive or time consuming.
For the oil pressure switch wiring that's subject to heat, i'd advise some nylon sleeving over the outside of the wire to the switch in the area it's exposed to heat.

Not sure how wise it would be to take the RB completely off the road during winter. Cars don't generally respond well to lack of use. Even if you only used it to transport Bob for his walk each day, that would be better than not using it at all.
Many thanks Dave,

I think I will renew the switch next time I change the oil, they are only about a tenner. The old one works fine, but it is probably 40 years old.

I agree, making a loom for the engine bay (out of better wire) should be trivial. The block connector on the bulkhead still works - and comes apart. The wires on the car side are all fine, the insulation on the engine side has mostly rotted away (I've fixed some with shrink sheath or self-amalgamating tape already).

... The conductors are all there though, so I could just join the new loom in there. The block connector only has 8 gangs, (including the ones from the ballast resistor to the coil and from the tachometer to the coil which are currently bypassed), so there aren't many wires to run (just the ones you list, plus maybe that solenoid on top of the inlet manifold for the Pierburg). Good quality wire wrapped properly in vinyl electrical tape should solve any future problems.

I'm planning to SORN the RB November-March and keep it under the car port, which is dry and sheltered. The Skoda is a much better winter car (FWD), and this year I was going to get it some winter tyres on steel wheels. The Skoda needs using as well (it has hardly turned a wheel this spring) - I can still start the RB and drive it up and down our cul-de-sac (unadopted road) every now and then (I do the same with 2 of my bikes each winter).

Come 1 April the RB will be an historic vehicle and tax free anyway :-)

Many thanks for the links to suppliers - I will only need a few meters of wire in each of 8 colours; I'll see if I can do a deal.

Stay safe,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jun 2nd, 2020 at 12:43. Reason: Grammar.
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 13:23   #1185
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Many thanks Dave,

I think I will renew the switch next time I change the oil, they are only about a tenner. The old one works fine, but it is probably 40 years old.

I agree, making a loom for the engine bay (out of better wire) should be trivial. The block connector on the bulkhead still works - and comes apart. The wires on the car side are all fine, the insulation on the engine side has mostly rotted away (I've fixed some with shrink sheath or self-amalgamating tape already).

... The conductors are all there though, so I could just join the new loom in there. The block connector only has 8 gangs, (including the ones from the ballast resistor to the coil and from the tachometer to the coil which are currently bypassed), so there aren't many wires to run (just the ones you list, plus maybe that solenoid on top of the inlet manifold for the Pierburg). Good quality wire wrapped properly in vinyl electrical tape should solve any future problems.

Many thanks for the links to suppliers - I will only need a few meters of wire in each of 8 colours; I'll see if I can do a deal.

Stay safe,

Alan
At the most Alan, you'll only need 7 colours, one of those 8 gangs (poles) is empty in that multiplug. Also on that quantity of copper wire, it's too small realistically to do a deal on, the profit margin on copper cable is small at best. The anti-diesel solenoid on the carb could easily be linked to the +12V coil feed possibly reducing your wire count further in that plug.

Given the environment it's going in, i would be inclined to just tape the new loom in strategic places then use nylon sleeving over all of it with a spur for the oil pessure switches and any other odd places. Tape over the ends to neaten it up and you'll have a heat-resistant, tough covering on your new loom.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 14:43   #1186
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
At the most Alan, you'll only need 7 colours, one of those 8 gangs (poles) is empty in that multiplug. Also on that quantity of copper wire, it's too small realistically to do a deal on, the profit margin on copper cable is small at best. The anti-diesel solenoid on the carb could easily be linked to the +12V coil feed possibly reducing your wire count further in that plug.

Given the environment it's going in, i would be inclined to just tape the new loom in strategic places then use nylon sleeving over all of it with a spur for the oil pessure switches and any other odd places. Tape over the ends to neaten it up and you'll have a heat-resistant, tough covering on your new loom.
Dave,

Thank you, your reply has just prompted me with the blindingly obvious solution: a single length of 7 core auto cable (used for car trailer wiring and so on), this one comes in 0.5mm^2 size (good for 11A per gang, more than enough for all the components) - and it gives me 7 colours as well as already coming in a neat sheath:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-2...xCJTksD70gqXsg

A 5m length costs less that £8.

Probably 6 of the wires (coil +ve, starter, tacho, temperature gauge...) will terminate on the induction side of the engine close to one another, so just a spur off to the oil pressure switch would be needed to the exhaust side. I could take some measurements and have it made up with terminals off the car, all ready to splice into the block connector with some of the self soldering heat shrink joints I like.

Einfach, nicht wahr?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jun 2nd, 2020 at 15:37.
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 14:52   #1187
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Dave,

Thank you, our reply has just prompted me with the blindingly obvious solution: a single length of 7 core auto cable (used for car trailer wiring and so on), this one comes in 0.5mm^2 size (good for 11A per gang, more than enough for all the components) - and it gives me 7 colours as well as already coming in a neat sheath:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-2...xCJTksD70gqXsg

A 5m length costs less that £8.

Probably 6 of the wires (coil +ve, starter, tacho, temperature gauge...) will terminate on the induction side of the engine close to one another, so just a spur off to the oil pressure switch would be needed to the exhaust side. I could take some measurements and have it made up with terminals off the car, all ready to splice into the block connector with some of the self soldering heat shrink joints I like.

Einfach, nicht wahr?

Alan
Should do the job nicely Alan if they can all (except the oil P switch) be terminated close to the inlet side of things.

Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 15:38   #1188
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Should do the job nicely Alan if they can all (except the oil P switch) be terminated close to the inlet side of things.

Dave,

In the above I meant:

'Thank you, your reply has just prompted me...'

... credit due to you for prompting me towards the blindingly obvious!

Alan
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 16:57   #1189
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

No worries Alan, i read it as it was intended so not a problem.

I did check the thermal rating of that cable and it copes with up to 105C so with the extra protection of a nylon sleeve on the oil P switch, should be fine for many years to come.

Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 19:05   #1190
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Might be worth renewing the oil pressure switch itself as well Alan. The same problem can cause the switch to leak and eventual catastrophic failure which causes instant loss of oil.
Dave,

Do you (by any chance) know whether the pressure switch lies below the oil level (obviously when the engine isn’t running!)?

I’ve ordered a switch (for about a fiver) - I was thinking that I could swap it out when it arrives if that didn’t involve dropping the oil (I only changed it a month or so ago).

Alan