Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

City Safe

Views : 3896

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 18:06   #11
steadvex
Master Member

I've had it activate once, its not pleasant, i actually thought i hit the car in front, busy roundabout car in front pulled off quick the changed mind i foolishly went to so the same thing. I honestly thought i hit the car it was so harsh! But no one appeared from the car in front with a baseball bat so all was good!

Collision warning can be optimistic. A friend of mine has never had it happened but commented that his wife has had it activate several times and now he is always nervous when she has the car! (city safe that is not the collision warning)

Last edited by steadvex; Apr 3rd, 2018 at 19:30.
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 19:10   #12
bomberfr0g

I also have had the pleasure, turning right up a hill, fairly quick to clear the junction when the car decided I was too close too fast, does feel like you have hit something and is not pleasant by any means.
it really isn't something I would test until you don't know you need it, then it will do what it needs to, keep the faith....
bomberfr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 19:40   #13
Billggski

Mine has operated twice, both when using the 30kph lane on a french toll booth, the sanef tag allows you to pass through if under two metres, but the height warning is read as a solid barrier by the sensors and bangs the brakes on. I have to remember to disable it on french motorways as it defaults to on when you stop.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 21:07   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancym View Post
I do understand the system, after 32 years in IT and 10 years as an engineer I like to consider myself somewhat erudite. The point I'm making is that I've tried to get it to engage to the point where my backside has gone 5p -10p. It hasn't engaged but the parking sensors have. How fast and close do you have to approach a car before the system puts you through the windscreen. What are the algorithms and trigger criteria? Surely it should be possible to some extent to produce a potential situation or is that the system is so last minute that it’s not? Personally, I see a potential situation in the city as mainly rolling toward a car running at low speed with low approach speeds. Take an example of congested traffic with everyone looking to get home quickly. Typically, nobody is moving more than about 10 to 15 mph, that’s when I'd want the system to look out for me, glancing left or right to watch the cyclist when the car in front brakes for the pedestrian.
If you want to "try" it you have to go for having an accident ... no one can do that naturally .
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 21:14   #15
hancym
Master Member

It's a trust thing, I might do the cardboard box option. I just want to know it is actually there. A bit like Heaven, everyone talk about it but do you actually end up experiencing it or is it not there in the end!
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 21:31   #16
Stevepvolvo

I tied a sheet across my drive and drove at it. Brakes slammed on but it proved it worked and was safe method. Doesn't work if coasting as that is assumed (I believe) that you are in control or trying to park.
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 22:24   #17
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancym View Post
It's a trust thing, I might do the cardboard box option. I just want to know it is actually there. A bit like Heaven, everyone talk about it but do you actually end up experiencing it or is it not there in the end!
And if it doesn't work are you entering hell or just need to pay more attention to what is going on when you are in control of a 2 tonne missile travelling at some speed.

Mine has operated twice. I do not rely on it but if the driver in front stops much quicker than expected then it could save an accident and my NCB.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 09:38   #18
AP90

Mine activated whilst entering the car park at Heathrow 5, it was raining and it picked up the overhead height restriction bar 3 feet from the roof, there was nothing in front of me................it really gave me a start as it was right at a the end of a long journey from Cornwall
AP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 11:37   #19
chrisfr

City safe can obviously be activated / deactivated in the menu system. I leave it on as I got it to work twice. Once on the test drive as i nearly hit the car infront at some traffic lights amd once on the ferry home where a van decided to cut across me as he preferred my space. I didnt notice it being violent but maybe that was because i was travelling at the minimum needed to activate it. It stopped the car both times.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 11:07   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP90 View Post
Mine activated whilst entering the car park at Heathrow 5, it was raining and it picked up the overhead height restriction bar 3 feet from the roof, there was nothing in front of me................it really gave me a start as it was right at a the end of a long journey from Cornwall
when did you last have a software update ? that problem was known of about 3 years ago