Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

98 V40T Heater Core Replacement

Views : 695

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2018, 05:36   #1
jagger

Question 98 V40T Heater Core Replacement

Hi Everyone
I have a 98 V40T. A few days ago my heater core burst and leaked water all over the LHS floor carpet.
I have purchased a good second hand core and plan to install it myself as paid labour is approx A$900.00. It hasn't hit the coldest part of winter here in Australia yet. It gets down to 3 degrees at night. Don't think I can handle it without a heater so I'll have to do it. I'm reasonably handy with tools, but I don't want to screw anything up.
Spent hours searching the Net but I have been unable to find detailed instructions/Videos on which dash/console parts need to be removed and how to dismantle, to access the heater core. Hopefully I don't have to remove the whole dash.
Has anyone done this job or noticed any info anywhere?
Cheers
Jagger
jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 12:41   #2
aldred309uk

This may help with the centre console removal.

https://youtu.be/Kpnerpl7hho
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 15:05   #3
gatos
Premier Member

The dashboard has to come out. The heater matrix is buried deep inside the air distribution airbox. Once you have removed the dashboard out of the way, you will also have to remove the metal brackets in the centre, where the heater control panel, and radio are secured on, to make way. After that, you need to udno the bolts and nuts of the centre air distribution airbox and also loosen the bolts and nuts of the middle airbox that houses the AC matrix and heater resistor. You won't have to remove this airbox, bit it needs to be loose and able to move a little bit, so you can wiggle out the heater matrix airbox.

It's not an easy job if you have never done it before, but it is not that hard either. Just very time consuming and a bit tricky. As you go along, if you are not sure about something, just take a photo and ask a question and I will be able to help. I have done this job a few times and know what it involves.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post: