Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2003 v40 clutch pedal issue

Views : 361

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2024, 19:04   #1
casc1984

Default 2003 v40 clutch pedal issue

Hello to all from Portugal

I' have 2003 V40 1.9DI (115CV) with 467000km. Some where 10000km ago I had to change the clutch kit ( I made 450000 ith the original kit).....bimass....everything. LUK Kit place.
Afer some kms I start to notice, when I lift the foot from the pedal, with the 1st gear engaged, the car shak a bit. After start driving I don't feel the same when engage the next gears.
Then, I've notice other issue, in the trafic, when the clutch pedal is pressured for a while it gets stuck in the bottom.I take the foot from the peadel, he get back to the normal possition very very slowly.

I have been delaying the situation because 90% of my driving is on the higway, and isn't bothering me much, but I know I'am "seeking" bigger problems

The mecanic says that have to change the peadal pumb.....

Also the cluth and brake oil its quite dark at the moment....

Anyone had such problem in the past?

Thanks in advance for any help.
casc1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 22:46   #2
nokinnikon
To Roll (Latin for Volvo)

Consider, some unlikely some likely:

Defective pressure plate, Dual mass fly wheel, clutch plate out of the box.

Bad cable/master/slave(concentric to throw out bearing improper bled/cable (clutch pedal stuck on floor)

Contaminated spots on clutch plate (oil, grease, residual penetritive sprays/oils on hands)

Flywheel has hot spots

Worn, defective thrust bearing/concentric or other.

Improper torquing of pressure plate/DMF.

Needs re-bleeding.

Try starting off in 4th gear a few times to maybe even out or to scuff off detritus on components, a long shot but you never know.

Engine/gbox mounts nice and aligned/torqued?

If it was me I would forensically take it apart again and step by step check/look for any improper fitting loose components, hey you might get as far as a gearbox mount and its loose and needs retorquing and that's it. Long shot but hey...

Some may say improper alignment of clutch plate, if that was so the splined/grooved input spigot/shaft from gbox to engine would not fit past the clutch plate. I've never had that problem I've always used an appropriately sized deep socket on an extension bar to align clutch plate, never had a failure. I hope this helps in any way shape or form.

Oh for the record if you or whoever does the clutch/gbox out again and it's all reassembled and you find the car often jumps out of gear 1st/3rd usual culprits it's almost always a badly aligned hose that can spit the car out of gear, pending on what pressure the hose is at at that time. Hose runs across the top of gbox and above the selector arm.

Last edited by nokinnikon; Mar 21st, 2024 at 22:54.
nokinnikon is offline   Reply With Quote