Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

[XC60 II 2019] Oil level excess

Views : 1172

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 19:47   #1
luki82

Default [XC60 II 2019] Oil level excess

Hello
I am writing this post because I need your help. I am the owner of the Volvo XC60 R-design from 2019, D4 + Polestar engine. Regularly every few months on the electronic gauge, I have information about its excess. I drive 2x31 miles a day by car. This message appears and disappears. Once I have excess oil, and the second time I start it, the level is ok. On Tuesday I have the 5th visit to the service with this problem. Before the last visit, I went to an independent service, they connected my car to VIDA Online and it turned out that the oil level is 3/4 of the level, so it's ok, while the electronic gauge showed excess. I don't know what to do with it. My warranty expires in half a year and I am afraid that I will be left alone with this problem.
luki82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 20:01   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

email Volvo customer services informing them of your problem and how many visits you have had to make to your dealership, they will contact your dealership very quickly and your service manager will contact you and invite you in to fix your problem and they may have had advice from Volvo cust services.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 21:31   #3
luki82

I will also say that the oil gauge has never shown and does not show the level in between. ALWAYS shows max. On the second visit, when they said they drained some oil, I saw the oil dipstick level about 3/4 of the scale. After 2 days, suddenly the level jumped to the maximum. By itself. Shock. In 2 days, I had more than 1/4 of the oil. Later the gauge showed max all the time but without overflow information. The information appeared again after a few months.
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 23:52   #4
amadan

Sounds like this might be caused by “fuel dilution”, there’s a lot of threads on the Swede Speed forums for SPA cars and fuel dilution issues.

Not the most cultured guy but a fairly amusing take on rather dry subjects.
https://youtu.be/nMX94zarLs4

I wouldn’t expect 2x 30 mile runs would be classed as short so maybe not so much short runs but an indication of real problems, as already suggested maybe contact Volvo direct to see if they can chivy the dealer along.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 20:29   #5
luki82

Hello Guys,
Today I was in Volvo service. After two hours, I picked up the car. The service said that the oil level was ok. They uploaded new software, calibrated the sensor again and that's it. I came home. In the evening I start the car and I see the following message on the display:

I drove about 10 miles. I parked the car. I went shopping. I came back fifteen minutes later and I see something like this:

I do not know what's wrong. I wrote an official email to Volvo. I'm waiting for a response. Has anyone had similar problems?
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 00:54   #6
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki82 View Post
Hello Guys,
Today I was in Volvo service. After two hours, I picked up the car. The service said that the oil level was ok. They uploaded new software, calibrated the sensor again and that's it. I came home. In the evening I start the car and I see the following message on the display:

I drove about 10 miles. I parked the car. I went shopping. I came back fifteen minutes later and I see something like this:

I do not know what's wrong. I wrote an official email to Volvo. I'm waiting for a response. Has anyone had similar problems?

me. don't worry. your oil level is fine. it's a software problem.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 19:40   #7
luki82

I had 3 weeks break from the oil excess message and yesterday, message come back I start the car in the morning - oil excess. I drive 10 miles, turn off engine, I'm doing shopping, come back after 15 minutes, oil level OK. Today the same situation. I don't know what to do with this problem. I drive with the system START/STOP on. Last Wednesday, after driving about 10 miles, I had the START / STOP system unavailable so I think the filter was burning off. The system was unavailable for approximately 15 minutes. During this time, I was driving all the time and did't stop even for a moment.

Last edited by luki82; Oct 26th, 2020 at 19:47.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 20:27   #8
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
I had 3 weeks break from the oil excess message and yesterday, message come back I start the car in the morning - oil excess. I drive 10 miles, turn off engine, I'm doing shopping, come back after 15 minutes, oil level OK. Today the same situation. I don't know what to do with this problem. I drive with the system START/STOP on. Last Wednesday, after driving about 10 miles, I had the START / STOP system unavailable so I think the filter was burning off. The system was unavailable for approximately 15 minutes. During this time, I was driving all the time and did't stop even for a moment.
just let it go... just let it go. just don't care. forget it
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 22:19   #9
amadan

Quote:
I wouldn't be too worried about the start/stop system personally - from the reports I've seen the savings are so miniscule as to be only worth implementing because it "skews" the CO2 figures on the specific testing used by EU and other bodies.

However this error message whether a false positive or not would be annoying me also, plus I'd be wondering what that meant for the future of the car when not under warranty. It's easy to say just ignore it but I would suspect you've spend an awful lot of money on your car and it should be right. Unfortunately it's often just a case of constantly having to go back to the dealers.

If you've got a good dealer they should be pushing Volvo for assistance on a fix and making it as bareable as possible. If you're not happy I would suggest you contact Volvo's customer service directly and let them know you're not happy either with the car, with the dealer or both!

I've never had to contact Volvo with any issues (I hope I never have to but I've only had the car for a few months in the middle of the pandemic) but I did have to contact BMW to twist the BMW dealer's arm to actually do something and to be fair both BMW and my Dealer at the time were excellent once it had been escallated.

Persoanlly I'd say to keep a log of when the error occurs - I used to snap a picture if I was able when dealing with a long term issue and save it to a folder on my phone so the whole lot could just be dumped straight onto email. Then unfortunately it's just a case of keeping on the dealer/Volvo's case.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote