Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 lack of response to accelerator

Views : 39061

Replies : 84

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2014, 22:04   #41
Brodick
Master Member

Owned 2 XC60s and never had this issue - so it can't be that common
just unfortunate for those with cars that have had it
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 10:00   #42
Joeyjones

I've just had the same symptoms diagnosed as a CAT sensor not the DPF sensor on my XC60 D5 2010 registered 59 plate.

Has anyone else had experience of this?

I was utterly convinced it was going to be the DPF sensor after experiencing king exactly the symptoms explained in every post here.

But the only error code showing up is the CAT sensor, has anyone else had the DPF replaced without error codes showing?

Just worries now that although there seems to be a problem with the CAT sensor on mine clearly. The DPF sensor may also be contributing and may need replacing in future, which will mean another visit.
Joeyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 11:34   #43
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I am not aware that the XC60 (diesel variants) had a CAT fitted as this is normally only fitted to petrol engines. The DPF is the diesel equivalent - perhaps someone is getting confused?

In know that on my '59 registered XC60 the DPF sensor was replaced and the difference in performance was dramatic giving me full response to the 'go faster pedal' - my money would be on that sensor needing replacement which I think cost around £175 (inc labour)
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 16:35   #44
Joeyjones

Hmmm,

This is my local Volvo dealer telling me that the CAT sensor is bust.

And guess what, its been in a day, with two replacement parts and the "CAT" sensor error still shows!

As you say, think some technician is getting confused with CAT and DPF, going to give them a call.

Thanks
Joeyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2014, 14:59   #45
tangey

About a year ago I had my DPF temp sensor go faulty (seen post #38). This presented itself as the engine being at about 1/2 power for the first 30 secs to 1 min of driving in the morning.

Since I had that fixed, I have had the same experience on a about 4-5 occasions, the same effect, but not related to the car being cold.

It was service time yesterday, so I mentioned it at handover. Sure enough the "other" temp sensor, is now showing up in diagnostics. So there are two different temp sensors that can have this effect, they were described to me as the DPF temp sensor, and the exhaust temp sensor. It appears that if these report incorrectly, it will result in the engine switching to a much thinner mix. This is not a limp mode per se, which limits you to around 30 MPH. I noticed that the engine would not rev beyond 4K RPM, and would get to about 60MPH max.

As usual, not in stock, so will have to go back on Saturday to get it fitted.

Just coming up to 5 years of age, and approaching 31K miles.
Lets see what Volvo's contribution is this time.

Last edited by tangey; Oct 1st, 2014 at 15:04.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2014, 16:17   #46
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I am not aware that the XC60 (diesel variants) had a CAT fitted as this is normally only fitted to petrol engines. The DPF is the diesel equivalent - perhaps someone is getting confused?

In know that on my '59 registered XC60 the DPF sensor was replaced and the difference in performance was dramatic giving me full response to the 'go faster pedal' - my money would be on that sensor needing replacement which I think cost around £175 (inc labour)
Euro III diesels had cats - the D5 had two of them in series in the downpipe. When I modified my D5 to get a green environment sticker for driving in Germany one of the cats was replaced with the required DPF.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 12:06   #47
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangey View Post
As usual, not in stock, so will have to go back on Saturday to get it fitted.

Just coming up to 5 years of age, and approaching 31K miles.
Lets see what Volvo's contribution is this time.
Volvo only contributed 40%. Cost me £120 for parts and labour.
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 12:18   #48
Poco87

I have had the same problem for a few weeks, no acceleration from my Xc60.
Happened once once or twice, didn't think much of it at the time but now 80% of my driving has no acceleration.
I had the car at my local maniac who located the problem in the exhaust. But said I have to take to Volvo to find the exact problem which after reading this looks like one of two sensors in the exhaust.
I have been quoted £130 by Volvo to locate the problem.
My question is will there be any contribution from Volvo to fix the problem?
My car is 10 plate, has been serviced every year by Volvo apart from this year.
I have no warranty with the car.

Poco87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 19:33   #49
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poco87 View Post
I have been quoted £130 by Volvo to locate the problem.
My question is will there be any contribution from Volvo to fix the problem?
My car is 10 plate, has been serviced every year by Volvo apart from this year.
I have no warranty with the car.

It is worth asking for a costs. They can only say no (which they generally do!!). Persevere though.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 22:16   #50
an2rey

Looks like I am having the same DPF temperature sensor issue or possibly something similar. The car lacks power usually on 1200-1500 revs when coasting, engine is labouring and computer suggesting to change down a gear, mine is manual. Dealer had a scan performed, although, no stored codes, all clear. They took it for a test drive and identified that the car is thinking that exhaust temperature is constantly at 600 degrees rather then normal 200-300 degrees. Unable to find solution, therefore, sent tech report to Volvo technical department. Still waiting for the outcome.
Wondering whether somebody had a similar issues and can suggest what has been done to rectify the problem. My car is MY12 2.0 d3 variant.
an2rey is offline   Reply With Quote