Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Black boxes" for insurance

Views : 6153

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2012, 12:51   #31
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Northface View Post
I just wonder where it will all end? These boxes " may" have ones set of rules at the minute,but you can bet your boots that the Highway robbers will move the goal posts and bring in one set of rules after another. 99% of the time I drive carefully ( ) so a box may be beneficial to me,but when I'm on a quiet bit of motorway I like to put my foot down, so I will have to stop this? What's the point in driving? We might as well all buy electric cars as "transport "and get rid of the car as a " driving experience". An end to the T-5/M-5/V8/V12 etc. Some may think this is a good thing,I don't. This is all getting a bit like that film Equilibrium, where you aren't allowed to enjoy yourself anymore.
tbh this is missing the point mate.

It's really quite simple!

Those that will benefit from the box

17-24 where in most cases, insurance kills the running of a car

Those that won't benefit from the box

Over 25 where insurance premiums won't be as high.

I still drive my car and enjoy it regardless of a box under the dashboard! I feel many many people are not aware of how these actually work and as such are dismissing them.

Again though I understand it isn't for everyone. Depends on your circumstances which co-op lay out on the site before you purchase the policy, alternatively you can use their normal insurance which is competitive, still expensive though for myself.

Co-op do not track your location, ONLY WHAT ROADS YOU DRIVE ON. EX: Motorway, A-roads, B-roads. So they don't know if you are at you local kebab shop or if you happen to be at a night club one evening.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo2002 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 12:55   #32
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadinolin View Post
just got an insurance quite to insure my 460 in march when my insurance runs out

i have no ncb anymore and one accident in june 2012

without black box option ticked....best price with all the goodies was 854 from admiral, 300 more than this years insurance (confused.com)

with the black box, 546, admiral. "the box monitors mileage, driving style, speed, road types and areas most commonly visited" accirding to the guys on the phone. if you are comminly parked up in manchester or a high crime rate area your premium increases, admiralds boxes use the satelite gps systems that sat-navs use. some boxes do not moniter as much information as others. the police may issue fines through our technology if your driving standards are consistently poor

i also asked if the fitting is destructive..i was told "a car is a car and well fit the box where we find it fits best, we could screw it to your roof if we wished. youll still get the cheaper rates" i wasnt happy with that responce and i got the impression they have to drill holes to fit the bix, not for me thanks. i want my car to become a classic and last. if the fitting is destructive, i dont want it done.

here is another bit of information for you guys, while they are good, black boxes make insurance cheaper, but i cant help feeling there is an underlying "micromanagement controll"bhaviour going on in the background.

i apologise for poor spelling, got saussage fingers on a small phone screen and editing is a pain in the ass
Drill holes? That seems unnecessary. I believe in most cases these are fitted under car dashboards.

Definitely go with co-op if you ever use one of these. Didn't even know Admiral offered a similar policy.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volvo2002 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 12:55   #33
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo2002 View Post

Co-op do not track your location, ONLY WHAT ROADS YOU DRIVE ON. EX: Motorway, A-roads, B-roads. So they don't know if you are at you local kebab shop or if you happen to be at a night club one evening.
Surely they must track "where" you are to know what kind of road you are on?
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 13:00   #34
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Quote:
It might apply to co-op that they arent tracking your position (if they arent how do they know the type of road?) but others might do. not bashing the box just telling people what i have been informed, other insurance co's might do things differently, who knows?

but from what admiral tell me, they track the areas you tend to wind up in and charge accordingly to risk of theft depending on the areas crime rate. co-op are probably not as unscrupulous as that.

it really just depends on your personal preference. i dont like the idea of a box checking up on my driving - its not that im a bad driver, its almost like having the wife (metaphoricaly) nagging at you about your driving all the time. i couldnt deal with that. like andy northface, i like to boot it on an empty motorway once in a while. - theres also the added scare of them damaging my baby if they are anything like halfrauds.

apologies if you feel im critisizing you for having the box?
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 13:02   #35
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villan View Post
Will need to find this on their website mate. They say it tracks the roads you drive on and not your location.

Old Oct 19th, 2012, 13:02   #36
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Apparently co-op don't cover 3rd party on this policy mate.
So if my insurance states that I'm covered on any other car, providing that car is already covered by an insurance policy, then I couldn't use your car as CO-OP won't cover it? Are you sure that the exemption doesn't apply to your driving a another car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villan View Post
I think what Tom is saying that there isn't a person pouring over the data seeing where you've been. Sat Navs, other GPS devices and speed camera helper thingys all know the speed limits of the roads you use and advise you of the spped limit for that road. Yes there will be inaccuracies as Councils alter limits but I believe it will be this information that they compile to know where you've been. The road will be classed as either A road, B road, residential area etc. It wont be looking at it and saying "oh, he was parked outside a brothel all night" or "oh, thats the local drug dealers house he pulled up outside".

Last edited by tt82; Oct 19th, 2012 at 13:05.
tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 13:06   #37
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadinolin View Post
It might apply to co-op that they arent tracking your position (if they arent how do they know the type of road?) but others might do. not bashing the box just telling people what i have been informed, other insurance co's might do things differently, who knows?

but from what admiral tell me, they track the areas you tend to wind up in and charge accordingly to risk of theft depending on the areas crime rate. co-op are probably not as unscrupulous as that.

it really just depends on your personal preference. i dont like the idea of a box checking up on my driving - its not that im a bad driver, its almost like having the wife (metaphoricaly) nagging at you about your driving all the time. i couldnt deal with that. like andy northface, i like to boot it on an empty motorway once in a while. - theres also the added scare of them damaging my baby if they are anything like halfrauds.

apologies if you feel im critisizing you for having the box?
Co-ops box is no where near as intrusive as I initially expected.

When I seen the policy I gave it a chance and honestly my driving style hasn't really changed since getting it

Also mate I like your constructive views on the boxes and no I don't feel you are trying to put me down for having one. As you said it depends on the individual. The way I look at it is as the years go by my insurance goes down and soon enough I will be back on a fully comp standard policy. For now the box keeps my premiums down and allows me to enjoy my motor without the killer premiums.

Old Oct 19th, 2012, 13:09   #38
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
So if my insurance states that I'm covered on any other car, providing that car is already covered by an insurance policy, then I couldn't use your car as CO-OP won't cover it? Are you sure that the exemption doesn't apply to your driving a another car?

I think what Tom is saying that there isn't a person pouring over the data seeing where you've been. Sat Navs, other GPS devices and speed camera helper thingys all know the speed limits of the roads you use and advise you of the spped limit for that road. Yes there will be inaccuracies as Councils alter limits but I believe it will be this information that they compile to know where you've been. The road will be classed as either A road, B road, residential area etc. It wont be looking at it and saying "oh, he was parked outside a brothel all night" or "oh, thats the local drug dealers house he pulled up outside".
tbh Simon I'm not completely sure on their terms. I gave the policy documents a quick read, so not 100% on this one. Will see if I can get a definitive answer though.

Old Oct 19th, 2012, 13:17   #39
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
tbh Simon I'm not completely sure on their terms. I gave the policy documents a quick read, so not 100% on this one. Will see if I can get a definitive answer though.
Found this on the website - http://www.co-operativeinsurance.co....cy_Booklet.pdf

Quote:
Page 14

Section A: Third party liability

What is Insured
1) Legal liability for damages and claimants’ costs and expenses incurred by
(i) you
(ii) anyone driving with your permission who is allowed to do so by your current Certificate
(iii) anyone (other than the driver) using the Insured Vehicle with your permission for social, domestic or pleasure purposes
So we now need to establish wether their driving will affect your score.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 13:24   #40
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

That is something I don't know lol.

They do have a facebook page and usually answer questions, so might be worth a try.