Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heater blowing cold with new thermostat

Views : 3430

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2012, 09:37   #1
V40 owner 12

Default Heater blowing cold with new thermostat

Hi, for weeks now my 98 v40 has been blowing cold air, so I figured the thermostat was sticking, so I bought one at my local car shop but when I removed the old one, the new one does not have the same flat fitted rubber ring around it, it's a round ring, but once fitted although a bit loose, it went together ok once screwed in. Just as before though it's still blowing cold air, also coolant level appears ok and is on the fill line.
As there is 500+ pages on this site I googled the problem and most of the good results brought me to these forums. So I guess after not finding exactly the answer I'm looking for, my question is, is that non official thermostat any good and should I replace it with a proper Volvo one? And also what else could be causing this?? Any help would be great as my kids, wife and me are freezing!
V40 owner 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 10:49   #2
stephend
Premier Member

Personally, I'd start by buying a genuine Volvo thermostat, to be sure it's the correct part. If that doesn't do the trick, I guess you're looking at airlocks, blocked heater matrix, or a problem with the controls...

ps if the thermostat was sticking open, the engine temperature wouldn't get up to normal.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 11:37   #3
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Question test the old thermostate

test the old thermostat, it should be closed and if you put it in almost boiling water it should open. if the old one is ok then refit and look for another fault try bleeding the heater or giving it a flush though with a hose in case matrix is blocked.
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 11:45   #4
m1tch1987
Premier Member

I would always go with Volvo OEM parts

2003 Volvo V40 1.9D Sport - MPG below

m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 13:25   #5
pinhead
Master Member

a thermostats a thermostat to me, if replaced on any of my cars i just use whats easily available and never had a problem, as mentioned above simply check it by popping in some near boiling water, should see it open
pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinhead For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 14:28   #6
mikealder
VOC Member

A simple check you can do with the car is to run it for about five miles to get some heat in to the engine then, with it still running pop the bonnet and feel the temperature of the top hose going to the radiator, if the temp gauge is reading normal then the hose should be hot.
Next get back in the car and set the heater controls to max hot with the blower running, if it's still blowing cold air then you either have an airlock in the system or more probably the heater temp selector has gone kaput - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 19:50   #7
V40 owner 12

Thanks folks, appreciate your replies, I will hopefully report back this week with a result
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 09:02   #8
V40 owner 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by david philips View Post
test the old thermostat, it should be closed and if you put it in almost boiling water it should open. if the old one is ok then refit and look for another fault try bleeding the heater or giving it a flush though with a hose in case matrix is blocked.
How do I do this exactly? Which hose do I take off? And do I remove the cap on the water?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 10:44   #9
V40 owner 12

Quick update. Just before I fitted a proper Volvo thermostat and temperature sensor I squeezed all the pipes and I now I have some heat. I have double the heat coming from the right hand vent on the dash only, and the center vents and left vent are cooler? Matrix issue? Anyway fitted the new thermostat and temperature sensor and flushed out the engine and renewed antifreeze. Sadly no change, due to 200k now if it's the matrix I'm leaving it well alone as I've read it's expensive Labour wise. Any thoughts on what you guys think I could try next?
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 11:34   #10
Dog_Book
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
a thermostats a thermostat to me, if replaced on any of my cars i just use whats easily available and never had a problem, as mentioned above simply check it by popping in some near boiling water, should see it open
that's right, aftermarket won't stay as reliable for as long but a new one should work just the same out of the box.

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dog_Book For This Useful Post: