Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xenon Ignitors ?? C30 +

Views : 772

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2017, 13:05   #1
woodside
I've Been Banned

Default Xenon Ignitors ?? C30 +

Hi - has anyone used different part numbers ?

2008 C30 2.4 D5 - the warning light saying failure keeps popping up - change the bulbs for hella ones and still does it (sometimes the bulb may flicker)

I think next step is to change the igniter

on mine it is 1 307 329 076

but I have been told that Merc 5DD 008 319-10 should fit and they are half the price (unusual for merc stuff !!)

anyoe tried different part numbers ?

thanks
David
woodside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 13:31   #2
tt82
Forum Support Team

Usually this warning straight after starting is a sign of a bad battery.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 14:55   #3
woodside
I've Been Banned

Hi - pretty sure battery is OK - was new 18 months ago and gets a good run every day so charges fine.

lights have been a niggle for a while - but its bearable - just rather it be 100%
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 00:49   #4
iantowil

Swap the igniters over. If the fault follows the swap, it's the igniters. If not it's the ballast.....assuming the bulbs are all good. My problem was similar and was the ballast on the near side - didn't follow a bulb or igniter swap.
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 11:31   #5
woodside
I've Been Banned

cheers

will do that this weekend - I hope its the ignitor now !!!
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 22:35   #6
hansC30

I have a similar problem, my light goes out after about 5 minutes of driving, after turning it of with the knock next to the steering wheel and turning it back on, the light will be on for a few minutes, then giving the same error and turning off again, I tried somecheap replacements for the GDL module and then the light stays on but it won't move up/down anymore due to not being able to communicate with the main computer.. According to my garage this is due to the fact that the "chassis number" (don't know if this is correct English) is programmed by volvo into the GDL module.. I now ordered a secondhand one from an old volvo and going to try to de solder the communication chip from the old one and try to solder on the other one.. I bought the second hand module for about 100euros. Will keep you posted if this does the trick.. You will need some very precise soldering iron though (I have this at work). Guy from the garage had the same problem his old volvo v50 and said it would cost about 800euros(!) each side.. He put some aftermarkets in which fixed the problem as well.. I'll keep you posted with any progress..
hansC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 22:44   #7
hansC30

BTW what you might want to try is to get out the GDL module, open it up and put the pcb into pure alcohol for about ten minutes( buy it at pharmacy for couple of euros) it didn't do the trick for me but found it at a Swedish volvo forum and apparently it worked for some guys there... Fyi: http://forums.swedespeed.com/#/topics/140109

Last edited by hansC30; Oct 13th, 2017 at 22:59.
hansC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 16:55   #8
woodside
I've Been Banned

swopped the igniters and still same side (drivers side does it) - it goes on with ignition then goes off after approx 1 minute

ballast change ?

is it under the wheel arch ? so wheel off and wheel arch liner off ?

cheers
David
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 13:28   #9
woodside
I've Been Banned

removed and cracked open the ballasts - both were dry, just a bit of aluminium corrosion on the outer cases.

swopped them over and lights working all OK

so we will see if one/both or none need replacing
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 13:52   #10
BJB

Just double check to see if the self-levellers are working?.
I think I am right in saying, that even though they appear to be the same, one appears to be programmed as a "Master" and tells the "Slave" to level.
BJB is offline   Reply With Quote