Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AC MPG Impact

Views : 829

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2018, 10:06   #1
Beefcake 4000

Default AC MPG Impact

I've been getting really poor mileage <25mpg from my V70 petrol, the aircon has been on auto since I got the car and never really though much more about it.

This morning on the way into work, flat level piece of motorway, car in cruise control at 60 mph with the instantaneous fuel read-out showing (I know this isn't lab conditions) and AC switched off. Fuel read out was 40ish +/- 0.5, then i hit the AC auto button and read out dropped to 33 ish.

I know there are all kinds of factors at play and it was only a very short test. I'll finish this tank with the AC on then do atleast another tank with the AC off (where possible) and compare.

Does anyone have any similar experience?
Beefcake 4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beefcake 4000 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 11:59   #2
old onions

Default A/C effect on fuel consumption

If your next test does show the same significant difference I will certainly be copying you in the future.

Every time i have tried switching the a/c off I get misting up of the windows and screen , so I have been somewhat reluctant to do it, but if my mpg improves as much as yours then that might be a price worth paying.

BTW my mpg is currently in the range of 28 mpg (fully laden with 4 kayaks on the roof and 4 paddlers all with lots of kit) to 34 mpg (solo running)

2006 V70 SE 2.4 Manual

Last edited by old onions; Apr 13th, 2018 at 12:00. Reason: poor proof reading
old onions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 13:13   #3
JRL
Master Member

Maybe get the aircon tested and refilled if it needs it? The compressor might be having to come on and off continually due to a low level of refrigerant. I'm no expert on AC mind you!
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 14:07   #4
big_yin

Quote:
Originally Posted by old onions View Post
If your next test does show the same significant difference I will certainly be copying you in the future.

Every time i have tried switching the a/c off I get misting up of the windows and screen , so I have been somewhat reluctant to do it, but if my mpg improves as much as yours then that might be a price worth paying.

BTW my mpg is currently in the range of 28 mpg (fully laden with 4 kayaks on the roof and 4 paddlers all with lots of kit) to 34 mpg (solo running)
My air-con is currently not working as it needs to be refilled but don't suffer from misting up windows. How is your cabin filter ?
Any coolant loss ?
I was suffering from misting windows when a heater matrix was leaking on my P1 V70.
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 15:59   #5
Brendan W
Premier Member

The rule of thumb for me is modern cars can maintain 60mph with around 20kW or less. A typical a/c compressor is capable of absorbing 3kW or more.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 19:34   #6
Dippydog
Premier Member

Up to a certain speed[possibly 40mph? but can't remember exactly]it is more economical to open a window than run the aircon.Above that speed the situation reverses and aircon becomes more economical than having a window open.They did used to say that running the aircon could make up to a 5% difference in fuel consumption.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 19:49   #7
oragex
Premier Member

Remember reading it ads 5-10% to the fuel consumption

The compressor pulley bearing does wear and may seize after 150K miles
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 20:57   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake 4000 View Post
I've been getting really poor mileage <25mpg from my V70 petrol, the aircon has been on auto since I got the car and never really though much more about it.

This morning on the way into work, flat level piece of motorway, car in cruise control at 60 mph with the instantaneous fuel read-out showing (I know this isn't lab conditions) and AC switched off. Fuel read out was 40ish +/- 0.5, then i hit the AC auto button and read out dropped to 33 ish.

I know there are all kinds of factors at play and it was only a very short test. I'll finish this tank with the AC on then do atleast another tank with the AC off (where possible) and compare.

Does anyone have any similar experience?
on 4 separate journeys of 100 miles over 2 days on the same route about 10 years ago with a S60 it worked out AC was 3 mpg less economical .
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 08:13   #9
newtonuk

On a regularly repeated 400 mile journey I can get 51-52mpg with AC off, but 48-49 with it on.
newtonuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 17:29   #10
Beefcake 4000

Highly unofficial, unscientific results are in. 40 litres of fuel, one tank with AC on Auto, one with AC off, similar driving journey and style etc.

with AC on Auto; 234 miles from 40 litres = ~26.3mpg
with AC switched off; 237 miles from 40 litres = feck all difference

Oh well, atleast I can be comfortable again.
Beefcake 4000 is offline   Reply With Quote