Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ATF & a 2009 Xc90 auto

Views : 1135

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2020, 00:04   #11
Kev0607
Premier Member

Sorry to bump this thread, but it'll save posting another based more or less on the same subject.

How many litres of transmission fluid do you need to buy? I've read that some people simply drain what they can out of the transmission (Usually 4l max) using the drain & fill method, then pour the same back in? This to me doesn't seem like you'd be getting the best results, as you're only draining the transmission once & filling it back up. Or, does it purely depend on how dirty the original oil is as to how many times you drain & fill the fluid, therefore having more fluid to hand is required?

20L drums of fluid seem like good value from brands like Smith & Allen, but do you need to buy this much in your experience using the drain & fill method to get the cleanest fluid possible in the transmission?
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 01:58   #12
Goldmember
Master Member

The most popular method ( and I believe easiest on the gearbox ) is drain what you can by removing the drain plug , this is usually 3.5l , then refill with the same measured amount of new fluid. Then run the car for 150-200 miles and do the same again.. Repeat a 3rd time . You will see a distinctive difference each time and it’s less of a shock to the box.
As you say 20l drums seem the best value but what I want to know is how the heck do you get it out of the drum? Does it come with a hand pump? In the past I’ve just bought 2 5l jugs and a 1l for easiness.

Steve
MegaBob - ‘04 XC90 D5 Spanish! ShedBob - ‘01 Moondust T5 V70, FilthyBob - '04 Silver 2.4 D5 SE V70, Rydell - '99 Silver R AWD V70, SagaBob - '98 Ruby Red 2.5T V70
Goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 03:04   #13
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmember View Post
The most popular method ( and I believe easiest on the gearbox ) is drain what you can by removing the drain plug , this is usually 3.5l , then refill with the same measured amount of new fluid. Then run the car for 150-200 miles and do the same again.. Repeat a 3rd time . You will see a distinctive difference each time and it’s less of a shock to the box.
As you say 20l drums seem the best value but what I want to know is how the heck do you get it out of the drum? Does it come with a hand pump? In the past I’ve just bought 2 5l jugs and a 1l for easiness.

Steve
Pour it into a wide 2L jug, simples, the 1st few 2L fills tend to trap air in the barrel and it can splash out a little, just dont do it when windy.

I have done both methods, sump drain and gibbons flush, the latter is done with a pipe added to the cooler return.
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 12:55   #14
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:

Steve
I’ve watched a video on YouTube where the drain and fill method was used, but all he done was drain the fluid, add slightly more than what was drained, then put the car into each gear for a few seconds it & done that three or four times all in one go, but reset the level on the final drain because technically more was added than what was drained. .

The fluid looked much cleaner than in its original state admittedly, but he used a lot of fluid in one go it seemed. So the best method would be to drain & fill once, drive for a few hundred miles & then repeat the process, as opposed to using a load of transmission fluid in one go?

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 11th, 2020 at 12:57.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 15:33   #15
Goldmember
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
So the best method would be to drain & fill once, drive for a few hundred miles & then repeat the process, as opposed to using a load of transmission fluid in one go?
Yes , Ive done this method on past V70s of all ages ( including 1 whose gearbox was flaring badly ) and it seems the best ( albeit more time consuming) way .
MegaBob - ‘04 XC90 D5 Spanish! ShedBob - ‘01 Moondust T5 V70, FilthyBob - '04 Silver 2.4 D5 SE V70, Rydell - '99 Silver R AWD V70, SagaBob - '98 Ruby Red 2.5T V70
Goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goldmember For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 19:48   #16
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes , Ive done this method on past V70s of all ages ( including 1 whose gearbox was flaring badly ) and it seems the best ( albeit more time consuming) way .
Great, thanks. Is it true that the car has to be level to get the fluid level correct in order to reset the transmission counter on Vida? If so, how do you get underneath the car to check the level by unscrewing the smaller drain plug inside the larger hex bolt on the transmission if its not jacked up or on ramps!? It seems like it would be a bit of a squeeze!

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 11th, 2020 at 19:52.
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 20:19   #17
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Great, thanks. Is it true that the car has to be level to get the fluid level correct in order to reset the transmission counter on Vida? If so, how do you get underneath the car to check the level by unscrewing the smaller drain plug inside the larger hex bolt on the transmission if its not jacked up or on ramps!? It seems like it would be a bit of a squeeze!
I can confirm that with the car on level ground I have never had an issue reaching underneath to remove the torx level plug.

Just remember to be careful as this must be done with the engine running.👍

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 22:33   #18
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
I can confirm that with the car on level ground I have never had an issue reaching underneath to remove the torx level plug.

Just remember to be careful as this must be done with the engine running.👍
I didn't think of stretching to do it haha, my bad! This is the next job on the cards for me. I'm thinking of replacing 4L or whatever I can drain out of the transmission using the drain & fill method, but adding a little more back into the transmission than drained. Then I can reset the level by draining the excess fluid via the drain plug & reset the counter with VIDA. I'll repeat the process in a few hundred miles again & maybe even do it once more after that.

Volvo want £64 for 4L of fluid, but I can get it cheaper from Smith & Allen (£17.50 for 5L & its the same spec). Therefore, I could get three 5L drums, do three drain & fills over time with a bit of fluid to spare.
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 11:52   #19
Kev0607
Premier Member

This video is very informative, but is using all this transmission fluid in one go a bit of a waste using the drain/fill method?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAb9p8Wph-M

Oh before I forget, do you have to reset the adaptions when you change the fluid?

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 19th, 2020 at 12:51.