Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Maintanance Service, MOT, VOC & Warranty

Views : 1325

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2020, 14:22   #1
rp83

Default Maintanance Service, MOT, VOC & Warranty

Firstly, I hope you're all keeping well. I have owned my car (second hand) for almost a year, and got a Maintenance Service pop up in past couple of days. In addition, it is due its first MOT, VOC Renewal and Roadside Assistance renewal - talk about being on Furlogh and £500 bill

Question I would appreciate some steer on please -

1. Dealer (Waterhouse in Chelmsford) have confirmed, per the milage, this is standard annual service - £255.00 inclusive of VAT. I am hoping they wont then start charging extra for special oil etc. Are these standard price or is it worth shopping around?

2. Roadside Assistance - I have been told this is renewed free of charge for another year, apparently worth £120!

3. MOT - £60 unless there's a surprise in store! - Do some/other dealers offer this as free when going for service?

4. VOC - This one is really baffeling me - Is this really worth except for being able to lock/unlock and remote turn on of the car? I guess large part of VOC is attached to Roadside Assistance and am considering if it is worth parting £60 for two years

5 - Extended Warranty - This is showing as £445 for with Option 1 & 2 as -

Cover option 1 - Extends your current 3 year/60,000 mile manufacturer warranty to 4 year/60,000 miles, whichever comes sooner.
Cover option 2 - Extends your current 3 year/60,000 mile manufacturer warranty to 4 year/80,000 miles, whichever comes sooner.

Apologies but English isn't my first language but am I right assuming, if I pay £445 and go for option 1, it will be extended until June 2021? So essentially, 1 year extended warranty? Same as Option 2 but higher mileage which isnt quite good for me given I am on 40k mileage now. Also, is this warranty really worth it? Or again, worth considering shopping around for other extended warranty providers?

Thanks folks!
Old Jun 9th, 2020, 14:59   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Service cost will include oils and filters, do not accept offers of engine flush coolant change or other add ons which are not necessary and a con. I dont think you will better the £255 cost.
The breakdown cover is included with your service and software update.

I get my MOT from my local independent MOT centre and costs £40.

VOC, I renewed mine for a further two years and would not like to be without it.

Warranty option one does me with the mileage I cover and it gives piece of mind. If you are going to get it ask for a two year deal, this may be only available through the dealer as Volvo are reluctant to sell two year deals, my 5th year warranty was £595.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2020, 11:00   #3
Paul Ed

I'm about to hit 3 years at end of month and will be extending the warranty. I'll be just shy of 60k. I've done this on 3 previous Volvos, used it a few times, found it good value (with loan cars) and never an issue on claiming. It's not by Volvo themselves, it's by a separate company but it's nationally Volvo approved and they use Volvo dealers and parts etc. It is the "official" one.

The 2 year option is only from a dealer not on line. May I ask who has bought the two year one, the price and what the mileage limits were please?

I will also renew VOC. miffed at price but worth having in my opinion. 1 year is £35, 2 years £60. Renewed via app.
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 11:23   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp83 View Post
Firstly, I hope you're all keeping well. I have owned my car (second hand) for almost a year, and got a Maintenance Service pop up in past couple of days. In addition, it is due its first MOT, VOC Renewal and Roadside Assistance renewal - talk about being on Furlogh and £500 bill

Question I would appreciate some steer on please -

1. Dealer (Waterhouse in Chelmsford) have confirmed, per the milage, this is standard annual service - £255.00 inclusive of VAT. I am hoping they wont then start charging extra for special oil etc. Are these standard price or is it worth shopping around?

2. Roadside Assistance - I have been told this is renewed free of charge for another year, apparently worth £120!

3. MOT - £60 unless there's a surprise in store! - Do some/other dealers offer this as free when going for service?

4. VOC - This one is really baffeling me - Is this really worth except for being able to lock/unlock and remote turn on of the car? I guess large part of VOC is attached to Roadside Assistance and am considering if it is worth parting £60 for two years

5 - Extended Warranty - This is showing as £445 for with Option 1 & 2 as -

Cover option 1 - Extends your current 3 year/60,000 mile manufacturer warranty to 4 year/60,000 miles, whichever comes sooner.
Cover option 2 - Extends your current 3 year/60,000 mile manufacturer warranty to 4 year/80,000 miles, whichever comes sooner.

Apologies but English isn't my first language but am I right assuming, if I pay £445 and go for option 1, it will be extended until June 2021? So essentially, 1 year extended warranty? Same as Option 2 but higher mileage which isnt quite good for me given I am on 40k mileage now. Also, is this warranty really worth it? Or again, worth considering shopping around for other extended warranty providers?

Thanks folks!

Interesting that you mentioned £60 MOT, were you quoted that price ?, as the maximum price that can be charged is £54.85 and VAT is not added to that price, some dealers have a habit of totting up all the items and then adding VAT to the total, don't fall for that trick.
Official MOT fees attached

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/mot-test-fees
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 22:17   #5
Bjarkoy

So the Volvo dealers have a monopoly on service plan as it includes Volvo Assist? Is there an alternative where the service can be done by an independent and if so what happens about the Volvo Assist - just pay Volvo £120 and it’s sorted?
Bjarkoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2020, 02:34   #6
volvocat

I understood that if you got your car serviced at a Volvo main dealer, that both breakdown recovery and MOT were free. Luckily I haven’t had to test the breakdown part but have definitely had free MOTs.
Unless this was just my local dealer, Lloyd at Carlisle, although they now do not mention this on their website (maybe it was a special offer, now expired) but might be worth checking out...?
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, mot, service, voc, volvo on call