Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

coolant fan thermo switch

Views : 757

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2009, 03:06   #1
misa
misha

Default coolant fan thermo switch

Hello,
Can someone,please,tell me at what temperature coolant fan thermo switch should turn on the radiator fan?I bought 340 1.4 last fall and temperature gauge,when thermo switch turns fan on,is past half...at first little spot almost near H.
Engine is not overheating but very close to.
From that point thermo switch turns radiator fan on and return temperature gauge needle at half...but it takes a looooong time for that needle to return at a half(where i think it should be),almost 5 minutes.
I guess the reason for that is that thermo switch don't turns on when it should be(a little after half) and because of that it takes a longer time to cool the coolant in radiator.
So...my guess is that thermo switch is bad or inadequate for my car or i need to change thermostat too?
For what temperature coolant thermo switch should be for 340 1.4?

Thanks!
P.S. This is my first post here and sorry if post about this already exists,but i couldn't find "search".
misa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 00:47   #2
misa
misha

Anybody?
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 12:17   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

I don't know the switch on temp for the fan but from your description the system is working exactly as it should. When cruising out on the road it shouldn't come on but temps may rise if you're working it hard in the low gears, in the hills for example. Will often come on in town on hot days. The fan will run for quite a while as it needs to lower the temperature to a point a few degrees below below the switch on temp. Not easy if the driving conditions are the same as when it switched on! Switch range is usually 10º or so.

Helps to keep your coolant/antifreeze up to strength and your water pump belt correctly adjusted. Unless there seem to be other problems, the thermostat is likely to be fine.

The "Search" button is to the right of the second blue bar from the top of the page. Yes, I think it should be more obvious and easier to find.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your cars.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 00:11   #4
misa
misha

Thanks Derek....you're the only one who replied to my post for almost a month!
Yes, i also think that the coolant system is working properly but i never saw before(at any car) that temperature gauge needle goes this far from the middle where it should be before thermo switch turns on.I did a little research and found that there are 2 kind of thermostats for 340 1.4.One is for temperature range from 86 to 89 degrees celsius and the other one is from 89to 92 degrees celsius.Maybe i have the other one.

What did you meant when you said to keep my coolant/antifreeze up to strength and my water pump belt correctly adjusted?The belt for water pump and for alternator is the same and alternator charging is ok.