Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 T5 SE 1999 For Sale

Views : 2858

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2023, 15:49   #11
4x4
Premier Member

Do you have any plans to MOT the car before it is sold?
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 23:54   #12
rickardrydell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
Do you have any plans to MOT the car before it is sold?
Sadly not
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 08:25   #13
ITSv40
VOC Member

Very few will pay £5k for a car that the seller doesn't bother to get mot'd. Also, most folks on this forum already have their car requirements sorted, so again a very limited market.

You will be best to get the car mot'd and then advertise on multiple platforms to get maximum exposure to the market. Without an mot it needs putting on ebay with a 99p starting auction and let the market decide. Good luck.

Last edited by ITSv40; Jan 13th, 2023 at 09:42.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 11:18   #14
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Very few will pay £5k for a car that the seller doesn't bother to get mot'd. Also, most folks on this forum already have their car requirements sorted, so again a very limited market.

You will be best to get the car mot'd and then advertise on multiple platforms to get maximum exposure to the market. Without an mot it needs putting on ebay with a 99p starting auction and let the market decide. Good luck.
Sound advice.

As a real-life example, my present V70 (2000 2.4 petrol 140 BHP auto with 118K up) was on offer at a dealer's six years ago for £695 with just over 4 month's MOT.

I said that I would pay the screen price if he would put a new ticket on it. He declined, but immediately offered me the car as a 'trade sale' for £550. I decided to take a chance, which has since paid off handsomely. I'd certainly be willing to do that at that price-point if I liked the car, but not at 10 times that figure. As 'ITSv40' suggests, I do not think that I am alone in that respect.

Conversely, if I was selling a car for anything more than 'scrap' value, I would offer it with a decent MOT, not just to give prospective purchasers a degree of confidence in the car, but also for my own peace of mind - I wouldn't want to think that I had unwittingly sold a dangerous car to anyone.

Your V70 does look like a very nice example, 'rickardrydell', and I'm sure that it is safe and would almost certainly sail through an MOT test, but as 'ITSv40' says above, very few will pay £5K for a car without an MOT. I agree with him and think that you are doing both yourself and your motor-car a grave disservice in not doing so - not least because prospective purchasers will neither be able to test-drive it nor drive it home. I would urge you to think again!

Regards, John.
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 15:07   #15
rickardrydell

Fair enough John.

Not really a fair comparison

140bhp poverty spec snail?

Like I've said to many others, find another
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 15:43   #16
Lancee
Premier Member

The forum doesn't seem to be looking too favourably on this so far therefore I suspect you are unlikely to get a sale at the best price from a member.

Everyone has an opinion, and I do take on board that the last MOT apparently had no advisories and relatively few miles have been done since, but if I were in your position I would get a fresh MOT on the vehicle. If you are convinced in yourself that it will pass without any repair expense being incurred, then the cost of an MOT certificate being around £50.00 should be easily offset by a likely increase in any offer you may receive. I appreciate you may have to get a garage to collect and return the car as it is currently SORN and illegal to drive on the road ? Even any additional cost for this service will I believe be offset with a higher sale price. With an MOT any prospective purchaser would have greater peace of mind and be more likely to be able to take a test drive. Again if it's as good as you say they would likely be more minded towards offering you a premium settlement.

Just my personal thoughts, genuinely good luck with the sale.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 15:50   #17
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
The forum doesn't seem to be looking too favourably on this so far therefore I suspect you are unlikely to get a sale at the best price from a member.

Everyone has an opinion, and I do take on board that the last MOT apparently had no advisories and relatively few miles have been done since, but if I were in your position I would get a fresh MOT on the vehicle. If you are convinced in yourself that it will pass without any repair expense being incurred, then the cost of an MOT certificate being around £50.00 should be easily offset by a likely increase in any offer you may receive. I appreciate you may have to get a garage to collect and return the car as it is currently SORN and illegal to drive on the road ? Even any additional cost for this service will I believe be offset with a higher sale price. With an MOT any prospective purchaser would have greater peace of mind and be more likely to be able to take a test drive. Again if it's as good as you say they would likely be more minded towards offering you a premium settlement.

Just my personal thoughts, genuinely good luck with the sale.
It's not illegal to drive on the road if you are driving to a pre booked MOT

Lovely car !
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 16:14   #18
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardrydell View Post
Fair enough John.

Not really a fair comparison

140bhp poverty spec snail?

Like I've said to many others, find another
That was not my point. My intention was never to compare my car with yours. It may be all that you say and in inferior condition to boot, but it could have been any car at a tenth of your asking price.

That was my point; while people might be prepared to take a chance with a car costing a few hundred pounds, they may be understandably more reluctant to take a similar risk with one costing several thousand.

I think that you are unnecessarily putting yourself at a disadvantage, but it is your car and your prerogative to do with it as you please. I wish you well in finding a buyer without an MOT.

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Jan 13th, 2023 at 16:18.
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 16:17   #19
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
It's not illegal to drive on the road if you are driving to a pre booked MOT

Lovely car !
Don't want to drift off topic but the following (lifted from the internet) may be relevant;

1. "Yes, you will be able to drive the car to a garage for an MOT appointment - even with a SORN in place.

However, it's important that the MOT has been booked because if you are stopped en route by police and questioned, you can explain the situation and the garage can verify your appointment.

Be warned - you can only drive a vehicle with a SORN on a public road to attend a pre-booked MOT, or another testing appointment.

In any other circumstances, driving a SORN vehicle on the road risks a maximum fine of £2,500."

2. "Can you drive a SORN car to an MOT station without insurance? Quite simply – no. You cannot drive a car to an MOT station without insurance – and if you do, you could be subject to prosecution, fixed-penalty fines – and possibly even have your car confiscated and destroyed."

3. "in most cases your insurance will be invalidated if you drive without an MOT"

Therefore my understanding is that if the seller does not currently have insurance on the vehicle, and/or even with with the lapsed MOT being as old as it is, then it will need to be collected on trade plates or trailered to the MOT station. If he does have insurance, then the last paragraph should seriously be taken into account ?

I do have some trouble getting my head around this, but I think in logistical order it's;
1, MOT.
2, Insurance.
3, Road tax (or whatever it's called this week!).

I stand to be corrected.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 16:26   #20
ITSv40
VOC Member

I really don't get the reluctance to get the car mot'd. It is a couple of hours time and £54 and job done.

Perhaps the OP is writing a book ' How to put yourself at a disadvantage in one easy step'

If the car is as good as described it deserves a good home and I hope it finds one.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: