Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

19T turbo?

Views : 15663

Replies : 171

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 00:14   #161
Nuisance
VOC Member

Can you spot it.....LOL

Last edited by Nuisance; Jun 26th, 2007 at 00:37.
Nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 05:43   #162
mharriso
Master Member

christ after reading all that i am glad to have a normally aspriated car....

and through it all not one person said reduce the weight if your car... then you don't need as much power (i guess thats a typical comment from someone without a turbo... :-) )

There's a thought for a thread who removed mass (from the car) how and how much, then we can talk power to weight...
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 12:52   #163
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharriso View Post
christ after reading all that i am glad to have a normally aspriated car....

and through it all not one person said reduce the weight if your car... then you don't need as much power (i guess thats a typical comment from someone without a turbo... :-) )

There's a thought for a thread who removed mass (from the car) how and how much, then we can talk power to weight...
I had a good long think about removing weight from my 850R. The more I thought about it though I realised it would mean removing the creature comforts and basically strip out all the good stuff like comfy seats / aircon etc.

I would love to see someone do it though. Perhaps someone with an old but reliable T5 who didn't care about resale value. Then they could really go mad & make the car really light.
carpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 13:21   #164
IC
S60R/V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpy View Post
I had a good long think about removing weight from my 850R. The more I thought about it though I realised it would mean removing the creature comforts and basically strip out all the good stuff like comfy seats / aircon etc.

I would love to see someone do it though. Perhaps someone with an old but reliable T5 who didn't care about resale value. Then they could really go mad & make the car really light.
Hi, Noiseboy and Don Norchi have both done exactly that!

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=11828

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 21:22   #165
dipsta
Master Member

Jesus christ, it's just taken me an hour to read all that!

So has there been an outcome?

Did anything get bought?

After much deliberation and lack of finance i cannot buy an s60 or v70R

So i have some cash i want to blow on the c70 and am looking at upgrading power.

Currently i have an auto box which i understand isnt up to too much stress.

Also i have a cone induction filter with aluminium mesh, and a longlife exhaust system 2.5.

I'm also running an mbc.

So if i were to spend a grand to get more power, without changing the exhaust and the filter what could i do and what power should i expect.

P.s i dont want the motor to go bang, so it needs to be, realistic and reliable.

Any ideas, and come on tuners, my money's up for grabs!!!
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 22:09   #166
IC
S60R/V70R

Hi dipsta, where in the UK are you?

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 02:13   #167
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

For £1k, you might as well just get it chipped. You don't really have enough money there to step up to the next stage...although if you could squeeze the cash for a larger turbo (depending on what your car already has....I'm not too clear on that), that would help.

Adding cooling to the autobox will help it cope with the power. It should be ok to fairly big power numbers with sufficient cooling.

EDIT: Regarding weight reduction - I don't really see the point when there is still scope in the engine to extract more power easily. You could remove half the interior, all the A/C gear, strip any ballast from the chassis...and you could have got more or less the same result from adding 2psi of boost pressure. Sure, braking and handling won't be improved....but the weight is usually used to make the car safer and more comfortable - things I'd rather not sacrifice without good reason.

If we were talking about a racing car, or something already light with a lightweight engine (Mini with a bike engine?), I can see the mileage in that...but I know people who have spent a week scraping the sound deadening off the floor of their car to go faster. Personally, I'll just take 2 mins to wind the boost up a bit! Or to put it another way...last time I checked the kerb weight of a mk4 Supra, and Skyline R34, etc....they made a typical Volvo estate look like a lightweight!

cheers

James

Last edited by foggyjames; Jun 27th, 2007 at 02:21.
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 23:44   #168
dipsta
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC View Post
Hi dipsta, where in the UK are you?
im in yorkshire mate between leeds york and doncaster.

and foggy cheers, i'm goiong to get the car chipped, would i be right in saying my car has a 16t turbo.

Also what are intercoolers for and would this help for reliabilty issues.

The other thing which chip??
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 23:55   #169
mharriso
Master Member

mate re the coolers he meant for your auto box..
check you don't already have one, they often live in between the A/C matrix, and coolant matrix.... even if you do a second is possible however there will be some debate as to the need depending on the level of tune you are looking for.... look up kenlowe on the net they have a kit which is pretty easy to fit if required....if you haven't ever or recently a trans fluid change will do you no harm either....
re the trans box they will handle a fair bit of power (300bhp), trouble starts when people put a poor tune on them which createes the power severely.. i.e. a quality tune with a smooth power / torque curve will be better fot eht transmission and running gear...(common sense but often over looked whn chasing figure...)
ref the ecu tune, MTE and RICA seem to have consistently good results with VOLVO... maybe give Don Norchi at Kalmar Union a call, he may even have one for you to trial so you can see the benefits...
Let us know what you go for andthe improvements you see....
all the best
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 23:59   #170
dipsta
Master Member

thanks for that mate, what would give me a better more reliable power gain a chipped ecu ie rica mte, or custom remap via rolling road, i take it this is similar to a power commander on a motorbike, adjusting fuel/air mixture to suit my particular car?