Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BLUE - 2017 Volvo V40 T2 R-Design Progress Thread

Views : 15984

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 23:53   #81
Petey80
Premier Member

Default Oil and Filter Change

The time came, the other week, for my usual requirement of changing the oil and filter after 6,000 miles.

Away to the folks house I went as that's where the ramps were. Of course it was another rainy day, but I only had today to get this job done, so had to power through.

Pulled the ramps out of the shed and got the car up them..... Just

Because of the splitter I wasn't able to place the wood as high up on the metal ramps as I usually do. Putting them on the very top made the angle too steep and fouled the splitter, so I had to drop it down a little so I could drive the car up them and not rip the splitter off.

Always the same issue with driveway mechanics, the car is never high enough to work comfortably.

Anyway, I got down and under and whipped the undertray off. Thankfully all of the screws came off without issue and I noted there was about half of them missing, but plenty still there to hold the tray securely to the underside of the car.

Got my tub and undid the sump plug to drain all the oil out

Pre ordered a new sump plug and washer

And also had the oil and filter in my posession for quite some time

The Castrol oil cost an absolute fortune compared to Volvo own supplied oil so will go direct to them next time.

Felt like it took forever for the oil in the sump to drain out into a slow drip.

Once it did, I removed the drain plug from the filter housing (out of focus, sorry)

A decent amount also came out of the filter housing.

And here's the drain plug, which was removed with H6 allen key socket

Removed the little rubber seal/washer

A new one was included with the Bosch filter

Once the oil had slowed from the filter housing, I began to take that off with the appropriate large socket/filter housing tool. Didn't acutally take a picture of that though....

Old filter and new filter

Very black considering this had all been changed only 6/7k miles ago.

Random shot I took

The filter housing also had a rubber washer/seal around it, so again replaced that with the new one that came with the Bosch filter.

There's one of the undertray screws in the top left of the picture. They had a bit of blue loctite on them..... no wonder people have issues getting them off.

The tub that held all the oil

It shocked me a little how much used oil I had there. I was used to the old D2 V50 though. That only needed just under 4 litres of oil whereas this T2 takes just under 6 litres.

Also surprised at how black it was, again due to it only being changed 6/7k miles ago. Hopefully as I continue to change it regularly it might stay a little lighter, but the engine does run hot and the oil itself is like water being 0w20.

All put back together, everyhing tightened up, filled with 5.7 litres of oil (capacity is 5.9 litres, but you never put the full amount in).

Drove home, emptied the boot and sorted that stuff out, giving the car it's required stand still time to get an accurate reading of the oil level

Spot on. Happy days. I will continue to check it over the coming days, just in case.

Whilst doing this today, it brought back memories.

Some things don't change much

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 13:06   #82
Kev0607
Premier Member

Nice work. Looks like that oil needed changing... it appeared very dirty on the pics, considering its a petrol car. Have you ever considered using an oil flush? Its not a high mileage car, so shouldn't cause any issues. I know garages that use it all the time and never had a problem. It works wonders that stuff.

With regards to oil, Castrol has always been really expensive. I prefer to shop around and use other brands. So long as the viscosity and spec matches what's recommended, you can use what brand you want. Shell are very good, as are Petronas. I'm not sure if they do the exact oil for your car, but I figured if Petronas is good enough for an F1 car, its certainly good enough for my D5.

Its definitely worth shopping around. You can get good quality oils at a fraction of what Castrol or the dealer want.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 4th, 2024 at 13:08.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 14:14   #83
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Nice work. Looks like that oil needed changing... it appeared very dirty on the pics, considering its a petrol car. Have you ever considered using an oil flush? Its not a high mileage car, so shouldn't cause any issues. I know garages that use it all the time and never had a problem. It works wonders that stuff.

With regards to oil, Castrol has always been really expensive. I prefer to shop around and use other brands. So long as the viscosity and spec matches what's recommended, you can use what brand you want. Shell are very good, as are Petronas. I'm not sure if they do the exact oil for your car, but I figured if Petronas is good enough for an F1 car, its certainly good enough for my D5.

Its definitely worth shopping around. You can get good quality oils at a fraction of what Castrol or the dealer want.
It was quite black, which is a little concerning as it was only 6/7k miles old.

I used an engine flush on my old Astra Mk4 and that didn't cause any issues. I'll give 1 a go on Blue as well, as you say, miles aren't high so shouldn't cause any problems.

Yeah, Castrol has always been pricey, sometimes Halfords have it on sale. Last time I was at a dealership, their own oil was a very reasonable price.
I'll either get it from them or shop around and get another same spec alternative.

Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 14:55   #84
Petey80
Premier Member

Default Soft99 Mirror Shine Wax

I've posted a couple of these already, but obtained a few more.

Pleased with the beading qualities of water after applying the Mirror Shine.

Car is now in desparate need of another wash. Saturday all being well.

And speaking of Soft99/Fusso, I got a couple more of their products for my birthday last week.

Their Glaco Glass compound and coating

And

Their original Fusso Coat. Look forward to trying that out in a couple of months when the Mirror Shine has worn off.