Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Downsizing

Views : 721

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 20th, 2015, 12:50   #1
pacman67
VOC Member

Default Downsizing

Thinking of changing to an R Design from my SE Lux. Now my Lux is a D5 205, and the R Design is a 2.4D 173. I could do with the extra mpg, but worry I will miss the extra Bhp. What are the differences in the engines? Is the 2.4D outdated? I know the 205 is bi turbo, I thought about the 173 being polestared? Your thoughts please.
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 13:10   #2
BL08
VOC Member

Sorry cannot help with the engine comparisons but have you considered depreciation costs when working out the potential mpg benefits?

Unless you come away from the process with a nil balance, or even a cash surplus you are going to take a considerable time to recover the loss through fuel savings alone and that's before you add in the cost of polestar to make up for the lost power.

Not the same in your case, given your suggested replacement, but I have known of people that have ended up in a cr*p little euro box car that they have 'bought' new to 'save' money whilst bemoaning the loss of their lovely Volvo completely overlooking the fact that it will take them over six years to break even - and that's when fuel was £1.30+ per litre of diesel.
The Following User Says Thank You to BL08 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 14:56   #3
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman67 View Post
I could do with the extra mpg, but worry I will miss the extra Bhp.
I don't think you'll find any significant real-world difference in MPG - you've got the same body/drivetrain and basically the same engine and weight. The thermal efficiencies of the engines, being of the same generation are going to be very close to one another. Thus, the D5 will drink more fuel when it's producing more power (which is not most of the time) and the rest of the time it will be the same.

Given the costs of changing vehicle (not knowing what it's had done/needs, tyres, etc) you will not recoup anything. Saving money will not justify this change.

Quote:
What are the differences in the engines? Is the 2.4D outdated? I know the 205 is bi turbo,
The 175 is basically the single VNT turbo version of the 205. Both are "gen 3" with the 1800bar rail pressure, piezo injectors, etc. It didn't last long in the marketplace as it rapidly got squeezed out from below by the 163bhp 2.0 D3 (which later got badged D4). It is no more outdated than the 205 D5.

Quote:
I thought about the 173 being polestared?
It goes up to 195 with a very healthy torque curve - up to about 3k rpm you'd be very hard pressed to tell between it and the D5, and above that the difference is fairly slim.

Quote:
Your thoughts please.
My thoughts are that I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Based on your other threads re changing from 17" to 18" wheels, and now a shift from SE Lux to R-Design, I think you're looking for a drive that simply doesn't exist in the V70 lineup. The V70 has some great strengths, but handling just isn't one of them - the front suspension design doesn't lend itself to massive front-end bite. No matter what springs, dampers and wheels you put on it, it will not behave like a more sophisticated front-end (eg double-wishbone) would. I think that you need to be looking at cars that have put driving dynamics higher in the priority list than the P3 V70 did - The two that immediately spring to mind are the BMW F11 5-series and the Jaguar XF Sportbrake.

In my own experience with these cars, the BMW is very accomplished in SE trim but the M-sport is stupid hard. Both lose out on some practicality details, and elements of the jaguar interior feel dated or cheap (heater controls, resistive touchscreen, etc).

Ultimately, if you wish to remain with volvo then start saving your pennies for a V90 - the SPA platform is much more sophisticated than the P3 in terms of suspension design and the reviews for the XC90 suggest that Volvo nailed it in balancing ride with tidy handling, even if it doesn't threaten the Jaguar/BMW end of the driving spectrum.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 17:03   #4
pacman67
VOC Member

There is another reason behind my thinking of a change. The warranty expires in January, since about July there has been an issue with the steering were it will momentarily stick when steering from left to right, often on lock to lock but felt on tight turns, roundabouts etc. Initially diagnosed as the rack at service, then refuted by selekt and no repair undertaken. I've been told it is not enough of a fault to warrant a repair. Volvo uk, and selekt do not want to know, dealer does not really give me an answer apart from it not a closed book and if it develops then ... Hence I'm considering something else.
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 18:53   #5
green van man
Premier Member

I have that engine and its polestared in my D4.
Cannot compare it to the twin turbo D5 as never driven one, but as far as the D4 goes, with the upgrade I find I run mainly in the top 3 gears once moving on my local A roads. My extra urban mpg averages 42/44 and a motorway run saw that average increase to 48 so was achieving well over 50 mpg on the motorway.
The upgrade makes a good tow car excellent.

Mines a 2wd xc70 but handles well enough on my local A roads and have never had a moment in it despite some spirited driving at times.

Manual transition on mine, autos not as economical of course.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 22:29   #6
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman67 View Post
There is another reason behind my thinking of a change. The warranty expires in January, since about July there has been an issue with the steering were it will momentarily stick when steering from left to right, often on lock to lock but felt on tight turns, roundabouts etc. Initially diagnosed as the rack at service, then refuted by selekt and no repair undertaken. I've been told it is not enough of a fault to warrant a repair. Volvo uk, and selekt do not want to know, dealer does not really give me an answer apart from it not a closed book and if it develops then ... Hence I'm considering something else.
I'm not too happy with Volvo my self at the mo. If I were you I'd take the car back to the dealer and tell them the issue you have (with the steering) is not normal behaviour, it was not designed that way, and a car with these steering characteristics would not be given to the motoring press for evaluation. They would not accept why should you.
Write a formal letter of complaint, sending it to the garage and a copy to Volvo, with a request that Volvo technical become involved or they advise you of a better qualified dealer, as the current dealer is obviously incapable of pinpointing how to fix the problem. For good measure send a copy to the head of Volvo public relations, mentioning this forum and the negative opinion that would be generated against Volvo ....IF THEY DID NOT GET THIS SORTED..

just my 2d

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post: