Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How does the GSM phone work?

Views : 2406

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2008, 09:54   #1
011ienw

Default How does the GSM phone work?

Hi all,

I don't know what the Parrot is that people keep mentioning, but I've looking at buying a used S60, S80 or V70 and would like more info on the GSM integrated phone system please, as I tend to get lots of calls so it's relevant to me to have a good system.

1) Does it accept a SIM card from any network, or does the GSM integrated system only work with certain makes like Nokia and certain networks like Vodafone? I'm on the three/3 network. Should I just be able to take the SIM out of my phone and insert it somewhere? I do have another PAYG phone and SIM on three/3 as well, so if anyone comes back saying it's a faff taking the SIM in and out, I can use the PAYG one.

2) Are there any charges as such, or does putting your SIM into the GSM system just allow the car to be used as a giant phone, with the speaker in the headrest etc? I don't want to insert my SIM and use it for a month only to be landed with some kind of bill...

3) And if the SIM insertion route works, it's irrespective of bluetooth, right? I mean, if my phone is quite old or the bluetooth doesn't work very well, should I still be able to use the Volvo GSM system inserting my SIM?

Cheers
011ienw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 10:06   #2
ptruman

It should let you use any SIM, at whatever contract/PAYG rates your SIM is on.

If the privacy phone in the armrest, you will lose some space, and obviously the in dash cupholder/cubby-hole, but thats it

The major annoyance with the (non-Bluetooth) phones is that you have to move the SIM from the phone to the car and back, unless you have a Voda dual SIM on one number affair, then you can dial a * code and one SIM will be active, the other won't - so you just tell the network which is primary when you get in/out of the car.
ptruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 12:06   #3
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

No extra costs or complexity with using your sim in the built-in GSM phone. It's exactly the same as using it in any other phone. You can even browse/edit the list of phone numbers in the sim memory, send and recieve text messages (although some are garbled with special characters and see missed calls etc.

I like it. I'm happy to use an old PAYG sim in my car and then divert calls from my normal mobile if I need to. Not as good as an automatic integrated bluetooth system, but it works for me.

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote