Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Saving Kiloran's 940

Views : 25109

Replies : 110

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2021, 14:26   #51
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I've sorted out the high idle, the TPS position had been messed with so I had to do a basic idle setting. Now idles lovely and runs very well, so far I've driven nearly 70 miles in it and it hasn't missed a beat.

There is a bit of gearbox whine, most prominent when coming to a stop, I've told Kiloran about this.

I found the rear O/S caliper has a sticking piston which has caused one pad to wear down to the metal! So Kiloran is going to do a caliper rebuild when he gets the car back. Luckily I had some used pads in a caliper so I fitted one of those.

I have given it a hoover out and a wash so it is all ready to go

IMG-20211107-WA0007 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

2021-11-07_02-23-08 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

IMG-20211107-WA0009 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

IMG-20211107-WA0017 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

The blue half leathers seats are a rarity, I've never seen any others before.

IMG-20211107-WA0019 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

IMG-20211107-WA0021 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

IMG-20211107-WA0023 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 15:10   #52
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Excellent stuff Luke! That problem of people messing with the throttle stop screw is going to become a first thing to check on idling problems i reckon!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 17:52   #53
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Excellent stuff Luke! That problem of people messing with the throttle stop screw is going to become a first thing to check on idling problems i reckon!
Well that's two in a row that have had idle issues due to messers so I think you're right there Dave.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 20:41   #54
kiloran

So excited to be getting it back - I'm doing a one-way hire in some godawful soulless modern thing, dropping a Lovejoy rack to Bodgers and Badgers in Bristol, and then a nice blast home along the Bath to Salisbury road, always one of my favourites.

Best bit? That's going to be having the nipper not realise it's on the drive until he goes out the front door on Friday morning for the school run - he's been moaning for weeks about the Golf being uncool.
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 21:49   #55
kiloran

It's alive! It's Alive!

What a day. Salisbury to Worcester in a (don't get excited) Vauxhall Crossland X. Oh god. I mean, you know when car designers are kids and they spend their time drawing amazing sports cars? Imagine training to become a designer and then turning that out. Just an appalling vehicle in every way. It's supposed to be a small family SUV. The visibility is atrocious. The gear change, well, put it this way, I've had more responsive column shifts on yank tanks I've hired whilst on holiday. The seats were so bad I had backache within ten miles. The cruise control didn't work. There's an iPad in the dash that you use to control everything. And they cost between £18k & £25k. Who in their right mind would buy such a thing? Words fail me. I guess that's the point - they're not buying them, they're leasing them.

Anyway, I digress. Luke kindly rescued me from the Crossland in his beast. First time I've been in a saloon, nice place to be. Get to see my car for the first time in months. Naturally, it starts first time and burbles away all lovely like. Shortly afterwards the Adharas arrived and we got the mortal remains of the old engine in the boot. Oh and griston's roof rack on the roof. And some mudflaps to deliver down here too. It's like a whole different sort of Volvo Amazon!

And so off I go, somehow finding the M5 without sat nav, or visible shadows. Car's driving perfectly, it's like finding your favourite pair of slippers in the attic. Off down the M5 to meet up with Bodgers & Badgers to drop off Griston's rack. Get slightly lost on one of the bypasses due to Google Maps being a bit crap. Shift it across, man that thing is heavy.

By now it's rush hour and after getting a bit lost getting out of Bristol it's time to stop for a bite to eat.

Fully replenished and it's off home via Bath. Except, there's a slight snag. Bath now has a Clear Air Zone, and I'd imagine a '92 940 isn't going to be exempt. So I got rerouted up over Combe Down, perfect 940 territory, at least it would be if there wasn't a block, head and 5 alloys and tyres in the boot. The best bit about this though is that once I popped out on the A36 it was empty all the way to beyond Warminster. Windows down, heater on, just the sound of the B200F purring away real horrorshow in the dense night air. Utterly glorious. Compared to what I've been driving recently it's all so effortless. You really do feel like you could pop down to Folkestone, hop on Eurotunnel, and be on the beach in St Tropez by morning.

Back home exhausted but happy. Will get the Adharas on tomorrow and stick the block and head in the shed. Then it's off to the beach for celebratory fish and chips. The car didn't miss a beat all the way home. Just got some minor fettling to do to sort out an idle issue (separate thread for that)
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 21:55   #56
kiloran

I must also say huge thanks to Luke for all the work he's done on the car. It's in better nick now than it has been for years. His attention to detail is a thing to behold, it's great to work with someone knowledgeable who takes real pride in his work. His communication throughout has been brilliant too, making recommendations and talking me through what must be done and what should be done. Wholeheartedly recommend him for all your Volvo restoration needs. Oh and the tea and biscuits were a cut above anything you get in a stealership these days. I've got a short list of preventative maintenance things to do before the MOT (gearbox and diff oil change, and a rear caliper rebuild) but once she's sailed through that in January it's time for some TLC. Leather interior, full machine polish, and stainless exhaust are on the list (the exhaust is in poor shape, so it's a good excuse to upgrade it).
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 22:35   #57
360beast
Go redblock or go home

You're very welcome Alan, glad you got home safely without any major difficulties or hiccups.

That Vauxhall looked on the outside as bland as you are describing the way it drove 🤮

Thank you very much for the kind words... you can come again haha, but seriously I appreciate what you have said.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to make one of my chocolate cakes (Andy does like them) so cookies it was. I even had time to remove the bearing off his prop and push the new bearing in to the housing. Sadly the only thing I had big enough to push the new carrier on to his prop was another old prop bearing which would have gotten stuck so I'll leave that with him to play with.

The idle issue is very annoying, I do wish we both had more time for me to deal with that one especially when I thought it was solved as it behaved so well on the 70 mile road test I did! My other thought was an air leak before the O2 sensor, the join in front of the cat looked rather crusty so I wonder if there is a leak there.
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 22:48   #58
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post

The idle issue is very annoying, I do wish we both had more time for me to deal with that one especially when I thought it was solved as it behaved so well on the 70 mile road test I did! My other thought was an air leak before the O2 sensor, the join in front of the cat looked rather crusty so I wonder if there is a leak there.
My money is still on a sticky AICV and/or sticky throttle drum. Now it's going to be back in regular use, i'd suggest a bit of lube on the throttle drum spindle (and also the butterfly spindle) and see how it goes with regular use - it may simply disappear in time if it's one or t'other of those sticking.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 23:04   #59
kiloran

Bearing in mind it sat for 3 months before going to Luke, and it's got 4-month old fuel in it there's bound to be a few oddities. The ABS light is intermittently coming on for example which has all the hallmarks of being a faulty speed sensor because it happens even when I'm off the brakes and just driving along. (ABS was an issue on this car before it went to Luke, but this is new behaviour)
And I've got an intermittent OSF indicator issue which is throwing a bulb check light occasionally. It sat out the front of the house (south facing) being baked all summer long, that's never good for a car, they need exercising.
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 23:05   #60
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I cleaned the IACV off the original engine and fitted that, it could be two lazy valves though.

The throttle drum was caked in gunk which was stopping it from going to a full resting position so I cleaned that up and lubed it before doing the basic idle setting as I could get the 2.5mm feeler gauge in and pull it out and the drum wouldn't even move back!