Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate wont open

Views : 78484

Replies : 173

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2013, 02:34   #91
oakbaybc

Wink Tailgate lock 2006 V70

Mr Symes

Just to close this off , it appears the problem was a seized latch. Once I had the tailgate open I was able to get the latch to open and close easily after the application of some waterproof grease to the mechanism. It now functions perfectly and has been doing so for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the advice and enabling me to fix this for the price of a tube
of grease instead of the $300 the garage was estimating to trying to solve
the problem!!!!

oakbay.
oakbaybc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 05:21   #92
Symes
Master Member

Thumbs up

Good news that you're back in action again!

A stuck latch is a new one! But probably explains why the 'from the top' method wasn't working - another 'root cause' to add to the list here.
Thanks for letting us know.
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Symes For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 09:24   #93
simpsont

Before I was a member of this forum I could see the links to the images in the first post on this thread but couldn't open them. Now that I have registered and logged in I cannot even see the links. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
simpsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 13:07   #94
xentronic
1982 244DL

I need help urgently with the pictures too - have just logged in and can't see the links in the first post .... and I need to 'unlock' my tailgate. Could someone email me the photos rob@xentronic.co.uk
xentronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 18:31   #95
Symes
Master Member

Sorry, I'll try to upload them this evening.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 21:00   #96
Symes
Master Member

Smile Photos added back in...

For some reason I don't appear to be able to edit the original post to include the pictures again... so here they are!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tailgate.jpg (35.7 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg trim removal.jpg (82.1 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg tailgate interior.jpg (43.3 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg spoon.jpg (37.7 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg actuator.jpg (35.9 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg lock assembly.jpg (48.3 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg solenoid.jpg (32.2 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg solenoid2.jpg (32.9 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg solenoid3.jpg (32.8 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg solenoid4.jpg (36.8 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg solenoid5.jpg (31.4 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg solenoid6.jpg (34.8 KB, 292 views)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Symes For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 22:46   #97
fjllondon

Default The V70 7-seater is different! Rear trim hard to remove

I was trying to get at my stuck lock mechanism for ages, not understanding why I was having so much trouble getting to it when the descriptions said it was easy. Then I saw the picture of the rear hatch from the inside posted above - on the 5-seaters there's no internal hatch release! On a 7-seater there is one, smack in the middle of the hatch, and until you've figured out how to remove the trim around the lever there's no way the hatch trim is coming off. The trim forms a handle for closing the hatch from the inside, and is as solid as a rock.

The trick is to use two screwdrivers. On the top side there are two slots, one on each side. Place one screwdriver in a slot and lever upwards (not what you might expect). Place the other between the handle trim and the carpet and try to lever it out. Applying pressure inwards (towards the lever) with the first screwdriver flexes the trim enough to release the barb, and it should jump out under the pressure from the second. Do the same on the other side and it'll come right off. If you have a friend and four screwdrivers you can do it in one operation :-)

In my case I'd already forced off all the other fixings, so when the handle trim was finally released the whole door trim naturally landed on my head.

What wasn't obvious when I started was that the release handle remains in place with all the trim removed. It has a push-rod that goes in a non-obvious place to the right of the spring on the child-proof lock (if you're sitting in the boot). That was a surprise - when I unscrewed the opening lever it just dropped out, although it looks like the push-rod would have needed to be detached. Luckily I'd photographed it first.

One advantage of the 7-seater is that you can open the hatch from inside easily enough BUT ONLY IF THE CHILD-PROOF LOCK IS OFF. This is manually operated using a switch on the bottom edge of the open tailgate. Make sure it's off before your solenoid fails!

I have photos, but I'm new around here and not sure how to post them yet.

(Incidentally, my problem appears to be a loose connection on the solenoid connecting plug - put a bit of pressure on it and it works, take your finger off and it doesn't. Where did Volvo get these horrible connectors? My car (a V70 MkII) is full of them!)

Last edited by fjllondon; Aug 21st, 2013 at 22:50. Reason: Refer to particular picture in previous post
fjllondon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fjllondon For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 21:30   #98
yellowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symes View Post
For some reason I don't appear to be able to edit the original post to include the pictures again... so here they are!
Thank you for re posting the photos
I finally got my tailgate to unlock but in the process
managed to detach the rod at the top?
but
I'm making progress and want to say how much I appreciate
this post THANKS AGAIN
yellowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 13:30   #99
colm123

Many thanks for this post, such a simple job which could have cost a fortune if taken to a garage.
Cheers
colm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 14:41   #100
patstan

Default Rear tailgate locks

I was experiencing tailgate lock problems, I found this thread and after a very long time i eventually opened the tailgate.

I followed the repair instructions and the lock continued to work for about a year.
I thought long and hard and decided to take a hole cutter and with a 32 mm hole cutter mounted in my drill I approached the rear door panel.

I cut out the hole and LUCK WAS ON MY SIDE, I placed my finger through the hole and pressed the door opener.

The tailgate opened. With the tailgate open and the inner door panel removed I replaced the tailgate lock. I placed contact tape on the inside of the door trim and pressed the removed circular plug covered with carpet back into the hole and there it remained never to be noticed by any one travelling in my car.

Then the locked failed again. This time I just pulled out the plug that I previously cut out and pressed my finger through the tape that the plug was attached to and pressed the door release.

This was the best thing I had ever done to address this recurring problem.

If you would like further info as to how to drill this hole drop me a line you will never have to remove your rear panel again nor will you be trying to find the release spoon from the small opening that you try to create when pulling the inner panel away from the rear door.

It's really a simple job. I will provide you with pictures if needed and measurements from land marks from within the rear compartment of the car.

You will compete this job and have no skin removed from your hands and fingers when completed.

Best of luck

Regards

Pat
patstan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patstan For This Useful Post: