Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate wont open

Views : 78492

Replies : 173

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2014, 05:03   #101
Symes
Master Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the post, but it sounds to me like you may have a further problem considering the number of failures you've had - unless you use your tailgate an awful lot!

I'd be inclined to check the wiring continuity for breaks in the loom at the hinge, a slightly bent actuator rod or duff relays or their connectors in the n/s rear.
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 22:34   #102
richlm

Default Rear wiper, numberplate light, tailgate lock problems

Found this topic via google, it prompted me to join the forum

Rear wiper has been stopping in strange places for a while, numberplate lights not working, and now the tailgate wont unlock.

I managed to get the tailgate open (btw images that are gone from original post are reposted by the author on about page 10). Got to the wiring loom near the left hinge, wires looked like new after removing the trim and tape, but i tugged on a few individually and 4 came right out of the sheath!

Found the soldering iron, planning to do the repair this weekend.

Not sure atm how best to get to the ends of the wires hidden inside the braided sheath. Will see if I can take away more trim and pull the sheath back to expose the wire ends. If not I will cut it laterally, and patch it up with tape. Will take some pics of that exercise and post a new topic (unless I can find one already here).
richlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 12:34   #103
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlm View Post

Rear wiper has been stopping in strange places for a while, numberplate lights not working, and now the tailgate wont unlock.

I managed to get the tailgate open (btw images that are gone from original post are reposted by the author on about page 10). Got to the wiring loom near the left hinge, wires looked like new after removing the trim and tape, but i tugged on a few individually and 4 came right out of the sheath!

Found the soldering iron, planning to do the repair this weekend.

Not sure atm how best to get to the ends of the wires hidden inside the braided sheath. Will see if I can take away more trim and pull the sheath back to expose the wire ends. If not I will cut it laterally, and patch it up with tape. Will take some pics of that exercise and post a new topic (unless I can find one already here).
Wiper problem could be a wire but could also be the spindle seizing. Worth taking it out and regreasing anyway before it strips the teeth from the 'not available separately, Sir' gear wheel.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 16:52   #104
DW04XC70

Default tailgate won't open - electric locks will not work

Hi...im new here...found this site while searching for a fix for our problem....excellent info...verry helpfull!...but need more help.

We have a 2004 XC70 we recently bought. We have had several times where the rear tailgate would not open smoothly. We had to push in, then squeeze the handle, then open the gate. I started looking for a service manual to see if there was some adjustment to fix the issue but have not found any printed ones.

Two nights ago, we got home from a trip and locked car. Later i went out to get something and the doors and tailgate would not unlock. The remote would not operate the locks for the whole car. the interior light would come on but no click from the locks. I could unlock the drivers door with the key, but it would not unlock the other doors. The lock button on the drivers door would not unlock the doors either. The red light on the dash was blinking like normal. I tried starting the car and putting in in gear then back to park to see if that would help. When the car was running the check engine light was on and the dash lights were out. The little red LED on the dash was still blinking with the car running. I could back the car up, but it did not want to move foreward...it felt like a park brake was on.

I could manually unlock the doors and they opened and closed ok. I could not get the tailgate to open. I thought the problem may be caused by a tailgate latch malfunction. I found this site and this thread on how to get the tailgate open from the inside. The instructions I found here worked great! I was able to pull the cover back enough to use a long screwdriver to push the lever and unlatch the tailgate.

I don't see any obvious problems with it. I can move the solenoid back and forth and I can see how it moves the rod away from the lever or back into the correct position over the lever. It moves, but i can feel that i am turning the electric motor with some resistance. It probably needs lubricated.

I checked wires at the hinge and did not see any obvious pinch marks. I have not tried to cut away the outer cover to see the condition of the wires inside yet.

After freeing up the tailgate, the remote still will not operate any of the doors. It seems like the security system is not turning off or something like that.

Has anyone had a stuck tailgate cause the electric lock system to not work?...or is this possibly a weak battery in the remote? ..or any other ideas on what is causing this?

sorry for the long post
DW04XC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2014, 21:12   #105
DW04XC70

Default Tailgate now opens and all locks working again

Hi ....here is an update on my issue.

I checked the car battery (in the back near the tailgate) and it has just over 12.5 volts. It has a sticker indicating it was manufactured on 09/2012 so it is under 2 years old. I started the car and checked again, it now had just over 14 volts as it should, so that ruled out a bad battery. while the car was running the dash gauges were not working and the red alarm led was flashing.

I decided to start pulling fuses to either disable the alarm or reset whatever went bonkers.

I pulled the #38 alarm siren 5 volt fuse and the siren went off. After a few seconds it quit. The remote would still not work the door locks. The main switch on the drivers door still would not work the locks. I put the fuse back in and tested again...still not working.

I tried pulling fuses 35, 36, and 37 for the door and power window system and checking the locks and still nothing. I tried pulling fuses 21 then 24 for the extended distribution relays and checking the locks and still nothing.

I pulled #34 for the sunroof module and still nothing.

I pulled fuse #32 for the central electronic module, courtesy lights..... the dome lights no longer responded when the remote buttons were pressed. When I put the fuse back in, I heard several clicks that sounded like the door locks started responding. I hit the lock and unlock buttons on the remote 2 or 3 times and all the door locks started working. Now the remote works just fine. All the doors and the tailgate lock and unlock as they should. All windows go up and down again. I started the car and all the dash gauges were working again.

I am not sure what caused the malfunction, but by pulling #32 I was able to get it to reset and start working again. There is one exception...the SRS module service urgent message is lit in the message window and the alert triangle is lit. Anyone know how to get that reset?
DW04XC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 12:50   #106
Draazon

Hi. Thanks for your post re tailgate wont open but there are no thumbnails at the bottom of the page so I cant see the "spoon" image. Can I view it please?
Draazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 03:37   #107
Symes
Master Member

Hi Draazon,

The pictures seem to expire after a certain time.... but if you look at post #96 on page 10 of the thread you'll find them there.

HTH

Symes
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 12:07   #108
nycnftm

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlm View Post
Me too. Hope I finally get it open!
nycnftm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 16:22   #109
nycnftm

Default $%$^ing Latch

Moving this

Last edited by nycnftm; Dec 4th, 2014 at 16:30. Reason: Moved to different forum
nycnftm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2014, 05:28   #110
pd154

Default Thanks for the info and pics. Can I just remove the solenoid

I have many of the same issues as DW04XC70; the doors and tailgate would not unlock. The remote would not operate the locks for the whole car. the interior light would come on but no click from the locks. My dash lights were either off or very dim unless I move the headlight switch either on or off, either turns the dash lights on! Couple of days ago I had a intrusion alarm show on the readout, but there had been no intrusion. I could unlock the drivers door with the key, but it would not unlock the other doors. The inside buttons for locking would not work. (I did get all buttons BUT TAILGATE to lock/unlock with a sunroof/lock reset procedure from elsewhere on this site. Pulling fuses did not seem to remedy my hatch being locked.
My lock seems to be stuck on, I cannot push the white solenoid "ram", "shaft", back at all, the spoon will not contact the rod and unlock. Can I just cut this white solenoid "ram" off, as I really don't ever need it locked anyhow.
Thank you!

This is on a 2001 V70XC
pd154 is offline   Reply With Quote