Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate wont open

Views : 78513

Replies : 173

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2013, 00:34   #81
telcod

Default Locked Tailgate

Thank you for your information it was wonderful. Our locking mechanism went bad, purchased a new one put it in and tested it enough, so we thought. Put all trim back on and closed it and latch wouldn't open Had to do it the crawl through way and reach the spoon, not an easy task. Our problem was that the white plastic piece on the actuator or bell crank won't hold the metal arm. We have one on order. Your post saved us.
telcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 14:39   #82
teshu

Smile

Not been on the Forum for some time,
However just got a V70 t5 with stuck tailgate and this thread showed me how to fix the problem. My actuator arm had come out of the mechanism.

All fixed, many thanks.

Alex
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 17:12   #83
V70UBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by teshu View Post
Not been on the Forum for some time,
However just got a V70 t5 with stuck tailgate and this thread showed me how to fix the problem. My actuator arm had come out of the mechanism.

All fixed, many thanks.

Alex
Similar problem with my V70 [2001] but 2 questions:

1 Is tailgate relay identical to rear door lock relay, if so can I swop them to see if faulty relay is the cause, otherwise,
2 Is it possible to remove solenoid motor without having to remove entire tailgate lock assembly?
V70UBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 15:56   #84
october37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign_ricky View Post
My fuel filler flap has never worked, but I never bothered trying to fix it. Post back it you make progress, I'll help if I can.
You probably know this but there is a time delay on the fuel filler lock, this is to give you time to refuel at filling stations after locking the car so that you can lock the car, refuel and go to pay as the fuel flap locks itself. Its usual time is 3-5 minutes but can be altered by a Volvo dealer.

Keith 55reg V70SE D5 185 AWD Geartronic
october37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 15:31   #85
Qube

Default Success with rear door

Thanks for the suggestions Symes.

I eventually got it open, after one last try before the brute force method was going to be deployed. You were right it was a connecting rod problem, the rest of the lock and servo work fine.
Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 11:36   #86
bOBS888

Default V70 Tailgate issues

Firstly many thanks for the post regarding the tailgate. It was extremely helpful and gave detail that was not obvious until you take it apart and expose the mechanism. My fault started with the cable breaking in the area of the ns hinge, I soldered the leads and confirmed electrical continuity to the solenoid using a multi meter. Having confirmed electrical were now OK the solenoid was stuck fully extended. Having removed the mechanism I dismantled the motor box cleaned and greased and reassembled all OK. Then it came to reconnecting the rods. The central bracket has 2 white plastic clips holding each push rod sadly one of these broke. Went to Volvo for a new clip. This was not available you need to purchase the bracket with the rods attached for £4.50 (part no 8643069) easily fitted now everything works as it should. I need to point out that great care is needed in opening the tailgate. You need to ease the panel cover inwards to allow you to get access to the release catch (the shoe) without too much strain as the plastic sides will crack, the shoe which is well concealed beside the push rod. The item you are aiming for is a black plastic box approximately 1 cm square with raised sides. I used a long screwdriver with the end bent slightly to ease locating the socket, I straightened it after! Having removed the inner panel the repair is straight forward as described earlier. I am very grateful for the initial post which gave me the confidence to do the repair.
bOBS888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 23:24   #87
oakbaybc

Angry Tailgate lock 2006 V70

Have followed instructions in Mr Symes post, and no matter how hard I press
down on the SPOON nothing releases! Am I missing something?
oakbaybc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 04:18   #88
Symes
Master Member

Hi Oakbay,

I think the root cause for you will be broken wires in the loom at the hinge... but you need the tailgate open to get to them!

It's quite a while since I've had to look at my lock :-) but be prepared for some discomfort as I think you need to get your hand down to the lock and manually trip the latch...

Earlier posts suggest that it might be possible to unbolt the bottom striker plate from the spare wheel well, but it could be only on P1 models....

At worst you can always use a padsaw or brute force to remove the trim more fully to gain unrestricted access to the lock and get a replacement trim panel from a breakers (price it up first, before wrecking your old one!).

Let us know how you get on!
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 02:57   #89
oakbaybc

Smile V70 Tailgate lock 2006

SUCCESS! From the inside of the cargo compartment, after removing the
boot storage lid, and the cover to the wheel well, all the screws holding
the plastic door sill to the chassis were removed. A large screw driver was
then wedged between the tailgate base and the door sill and and a gap was
pried open to gain access to the lock piece that holds the door closed.
Another screw driver opened the lock piece and the tailgate opened.
Now I have complete access to the mechanism and will do the trouble
shooting to see why it is not opening normally.

Thanks for the help on this. oakbay bc canada
oakbaybc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 03:56   #90
Symes
Master Member

Glad to hear that you've managed to get it open - this will give people a good alternative to try if they're struggling with the 'from the top' method.
Should be fairly easy to find the reason for your lock failure now - thanks for posting.
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote