Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

battery drain- help needed

Views : 1383

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2023, 20:59   #21
realslimshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dave View Post

To ventilate the climate system's control system
the ventilation fan can be started up to 50
minutes after the car's ignition has been
switched off. The fan is then switched off automatically
after approx. 15 minutes.

As for the little cabin-temp-monitoring fan - I have never noticed it running.

Cheers

Dave
That's very interesting! I shall dig the manual out tomorrow and have a read, as it appears it is a 'normal' function. I want to see if as quoted it starts and then switches off again.
I haven't had time to check the CEM connectors yet, but they are on my 'high priority to do' list
realslimshady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to realslimshady For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2023, 21:30   #22
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Not quite that simple.
If you can tell me how an injector wiring fault can cause Transmission Service required on a D5 and be stuck in 3rd gear because it certainly can.
Not to be deliberately contentious, nor pour petrol but actually this can be explained.

The wiring fault either leads directly to signal integrity issues on the CAN bus, or at least one of its stubs, via the ECM. Or, the fault affects the ECM directly, which then indirectly affects the CAN bus by flooding it with garbage.
The exact mechanism notwithstanding, this ultimately leads to a loss of, or intermittent interference with, communication for all transceivers (CAN bus devices) connected to that bus, the transmission control module, amongst others. Hence, you see "action at distance", with the hallmark of multiple systems being affected with major symptoms.

Your example also demonstrates exactly why it is unlikely in this case to be such a wiring problem affecting the REM CAN bus - there's no way the effects would manifest themselves only as something so very specific as the CCM turning on the climate fan. They'd be major mayhem, probably non-working indicators and brake lights and floods of DTCs on view.
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 08:37   #23
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Thanks Moose, I accept all of that but the point I was making is that the two issues in my example are so far apart that the vast majority would never believe that there could be any possible link.
My advice re keeping an open mind still stands but thanks for the input. 👍

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 09:55   #24
realslimshady

Harley Dave's post does raise the interesting question of whether or not I've been sent on another wild goose chase - as the quote from the manual clearly shows that the 'random' fan blower operation is actually a feature of the design.
What would be helpful would be to know what parameters are used to make the decision to start the fan - 'can be started'....
Anyway. I'm going to run the car with aircon on for five minutes now, leave the fuse in and monitor it.
Report later.
The Following User Says Thank You to realslimshady For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 10:43   #25
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realslimshady View Post
What would be helpful would be to know what parameters are used to make the decision to start the fan - 'can be started'....
That is an interesting question in and of itself. HOW does the CCM know that the interior of the vehicle is damp? To the best of my knowledge, it has only a sunlight sensor and temperature sensor available to it in the cabin. There's an air quality sensor but a) they are rarely working as they have a limited lifespan and b) it's sampling intake air. Without a humidity sensor, I can't see how this is supposed to work ever but nonetheless, it's a "feature".

I think the main question here is, is it working as expected? i.e. does it only run for 15 mins as per the manual, or as others have reported, it doesn't stop until it runs out of juice. Even if it does run to time, that doesn't rule out either a) the battery being on its way out and not being able to support the expected load for that duration or b) there's something wrong with the blower motor or its control module such that it is drawing more current than is expected and the battery, although within spec, can't handle that rate of drain.

What would be really useful to have available to you would be a data logging multimeter, so that you could leave it in the vehicle attached to the fan supply.
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 11:37   #26
realslimshady

It's an interesting question Moose.
The car (and me too) is currently in central Portugal where it is most assuredly not humid and we're heading for our second >40 degree day, so I'm wondering if it is the dusty atmosphere it detects?
55 minutes after switching the car off the blower fan was running and exactly 15 minutes later it switched off, checked the (new) battery voltage and it's 12.59 so at the moment it all looks good, fuse box cover is back on and we'll run with it....
It does appear that the cabin temp sensor fan is running 24/7 though, anyone want to wander out to their car and put an ear by theirs?
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 11:39   #27
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

The original (not starting) problem was fixed by fitting a new battery.

The issue of the fan running-on seems to be more of a general query, not a show stopper, like it was when the original battery was weak.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harley Dave For This Useful Post: