Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leather quality

Views : 17655

Replies : 178

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2017, 05:56   #171
ulstrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
As promised photos of Drivers seat with new leather and passenger seat with original leather.

You can see the extra row of stitching on the replacement but it is more noticeable in the photo than it seems in reality.
it seems that on your new seat the stitching is done in a way that the two pieces of leather are flush whether on the old seat they are on different level.

I guess that the color was peeling off due to abrasion on this part of the seat.
ulstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 08:47   #172
Driver Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulstrup View Post
it seems that on your new seat the stitching is done in a way that the two pieces of leather are flush whether on the old seat they are on different level.

I guess that the color was peeling off due to abrasion on this part of the seat.
No, ulstup, the lay of the leather is the same on both seats I think it is just the different angles the photos are taken from that gives you that impression, the only obvious difference is the extra row of stiching. I will see if it wears any better in due course.

It may have been abrasion but there must be a problem with the quality of the leather/finish. I had done a comparitively low milage when the problem occurred, my previous series 1 XC90 had over 55,000 on it and the leather looked almost new.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 09:16   #173
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Is it just sports countour seats the people are experiencing a problem with? I have Amber Nappa and with 45k miles on the clock they look pretty much perfect.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 09:56   #174
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Is it just sports countour seats the people are experiencing a problem with?
I believe so, perhaps mainly because the bolsters are higher.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 18:19   #175
Driver Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Is it just sports countour seats the people are experiencing a problem with? I have Amber Nappa and with 45k miles on the clock they look pretty much perfect.
No, not just the sports contour seats - mine are the comfort seats with the fine nappa leather in amber.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 19:13   #176
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
No, not just the sports contour seats - mine are the comfort seats with the fine nappa leather in amber.
You are right. I mistakingly assumed that only sport seats have nappa leather.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 01:44   #177
neon
Premier Member

My 3rd seat base covering on the drivers seat seems to be standing up well at the moment. Less creasing and no sign of the leather skin peeling. The 2nd seat base covering on the passenger seat is ok too.
I do not think it was just the sports contour seat design, although it would not help. I would say there was an issue with the leather quality itself as the peeling was happening even with low usage and care on mine. Maybe the batch used for the sports contour seat base, but I am guessing. There was very little take up on the sports contour seat option so I am wondering if they made a batch and I ended up with this bad batch twice on the drivers seat.
I would suspect Volvo were a bit more knowledgeable on this than they were declaring at the time.

Last edited by neon; Oct 2nd, 2017 at 01:51.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 10:49   #178
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
You are right. I mistakingly assumed that only sport seats have nappa leather.
Just to be clear on the different seat types available, as this has caused me some confusion in the past:

* Standard leather faced seats (as on Momentum
* Contour Sports Seats leather/nubuck (standard on R-Design)
* Contour Sports Seats full leather (option on R-Design)
* Nappa Leather seats (standard on Inscription)
* Nappa Soft Leather Contour Sports seats (optional)

Also various ventilation, seat extension, side bolster etc. options.

The confusion for me has always been the difference between the R-Design sports seats and the optional Nappa Soft Leather Contour Sports seats, which I've never been sure if they are the same or not, I believe they are slightly different.

:wq
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 16:52   #179
AB-UK
Premier Member

Just seen this on Volvo's Selekt Used website :-
After only 9744 miles - look at the bolster wear above the stitching!!
Also the mark on the side of the seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VOLVO XC90 D5 INSCRIPTIONReg Mar 2016 9744miles.jpg (143.3 KB, 91 views)
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote