Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Window winder opinioon

Views : 774

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2018, 12:29   #1
morsing
Premier Member

Default Window winder opinioon

Hi,

I really need to replace both front winder. Driver's side gear is very worn and both side struggle to go up.

What are people's opinions on something like this? Or is there something better available?

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...ctric/1016566/

Thanks
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 13:42   #2
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Hendrick: ~ have you looked on eBay or similar for Volvo 240 breaking- quite a few on at present, you should find descent used items via the above or breakers yards.

These normally have a long life- just a part needed??
Regards Bob
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 08:24   #3
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Hendrick: ~ have you looked on eBay or similar for Volvo 240 breaking- quite a few on at present, you should find descent used items via the above or breakers yards.

These normally have a long life- just a part needed??
Regards Bob
Hi,

I could possibly get a second hand one - but that was why I was asking about people's experiences with these new ones. I'm not out to save money.

What do you mean "Part needed"? These mechanisms only really have two parts - I've spent years trying to get them to work so any insight in to which part is needed would be great.

Well, that being said, on the driver's side it would be the circular drive on the arm-mechanism as it's completely worn down.

On the passenger side... Who knows. I even spoke to a motor refurbishing shop once, who said it would probably be around 200gbp to refurbish the motor, but as I don't know if the motor is the actual problem, I have been reluctant to go down that route...

Thanks
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 08:42   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing View Post

What are people's opinions on something like this?

It says with motor but without engine.

What's the engine? It seems an awful lot of money if that means the electric motor isn't included. (Although not the £149,000 I first read it as )
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 21:54   #5
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing View Post
Hi,
Well, that being said, on the driver's side it would be the circular drive on the arm-mechanism as it's completely worn down.
That's surprising Henrik - what's the mileage of the car if you've worn that out? The window must have gone up and down thousands of times!! Or is it so corroded it's practically seized?

Quote:
On the passenger side... Who knows. I even spoke to a motor refurbishing shop once, who said it would probably be around 200gbp to refurbish the motor, but as I don't know if the motor is the actual problem, I have been reluctant to go down that route...
Thanks
Firstly establish that there's 12 volts going to the motor when the switch is pressed one way, and -12v if pressed the other way. Check 12v is coming into the door, and check the switch. If that's ok presumably you know it's the motor, unless the frame is all seized up, and the motor is groaning and clicking but going nowhere.

There was a recent discussion about this topic
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287247
and I gave a quick rundown of refurbishing one of those motors.

I was saying that they've hardly got anything to them - you can pull one apart, clean up the electrical connections and lubricate the bearings and it's more than likely going to work for 20 minutes worth of work. Even if you know nothing about motors you'll soon see they're so simple.

My suggestion would be to get some 2nd hand ones off a breaker (I'm mean the whole motor-plus-scissor-frame sub-assembly), even get a second pair of 2nd hand motors to play with.

I reckon £150 per side can be avoided, and £200 to refurb one of those motors would be over-the-top.

My two-bobs worth,
John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungle_Jim For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 07:44   #6
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Jim View Post
That's surprising Henrik - what's the mileage of the car if you've worn that out? The window must have gone up and down thousands of times!! Or is it so corroded it's practically seized?
Hi, it's done 374.000 miles. It's not corroded, it's in use all the time. You can hear by the tikkety-tik sound the teeth are worn.

Quote:
Firstly establish that there's 12 volts going to the motor when the switch is pressed one way, and -12v if pressed the other way. Check 12v is coming into the door, and check the switch. If that's ok presumably you know it's the motor, unless the frame is all seized up, and the motor is groaning and clicking but going nowhere.
As said, I've spent years on this, I don't really need a 101 trouble shooting guide.

Quote:
There was a recent discussion about this topic
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287247
and I gave a quick rundown of refurbishing one of those motors.

I was saying that they've hardly got anything to them - you can pull one apart, clean up the electrical connections and lubricate the bearings and it's more than likely going to work for 20 minutes worth of work. Even if you know nothing about motors you'll soon see they're so simple.
Yes, as said, I've done it several times, the motor might be 20 minutes, getting it out is not!

I think motor is fine. On the passenger side, god knows what is making it slow/stop, I've certainly greased the mechanism several times and I've adjusted it according to Mike BRace' instructions as well.

Quote:
My suggestion would be to get some 2nd hand ones off a breaker (I'm mean the whole motor-plus-scissor-frame sub-assembly), even get a second pair of 2nd hand motors to play with.

I reckon £150 per side can be avoided, and £200 to refurb one of those motors would be over-the-top.
The £200 wasn't just a refurb, it was a rewind + refurb.

Ok, so with regards to my original question, people seem to think second hand Volvo is better than third party new. As mentioned, I'm not trying to save money though, I don't wnat to end up with a 2nd hand that's slow/stuck as well.

I'll have a look around Ebay.

Thank