Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cat cleaner additives whats your experience?

Views : 409

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2018, 18:05   #1
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Cat cleaner additives whats your experience?

Just wondering what peoples experience of cat cleaner products such as cataclean used on petrol engine volvos is?,

Do you think these are beneficial on older cars, or should they only be used when your getting error codes relating to o2 sensors or cat efficiency etc ?
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 22:53   #2
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Cat cleaner s

Someone must have tried these ?
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 23:57   #3
Whippy
Premier Member

I find a good quality brush and a flea comb to be most effective.
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 06:30   #4
green van man
Premier Member

I have diesels but have never found the need for them. If the cat is a dry one then normal use should be sufficient to keep it clean. Like all car parts they have a finite life and once at the end of it renewal is the way to go.

There are companies who will clean cats off the vehicle, how effective that is I don't know never having needed them or used them.

The normal method of cleaning is to burn the muck out so additives in the tank will burn in the engine, how this cleans the cat I don't know.

Depends on costs, if it's worth a try before shelling out for a new one go ahead, if it's an expensive punt in hope rather than expectation I would put the money towards a new one.

Once new fitted or cleaned I would ensure the car had enough runs to get the system hot enough to keep it clean.
If the problem occurred due to mechanical fault such as burning oil etc. then first fix the fault or you are in the same boat.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 17:21   #5
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
I find a good quality brush and a flea comb to be most effective.
My instant thought was that they hate water.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 18:58   #6
bob12
bob12

Nearly 30 years on the original cat on a 745 with B200F (LH2.4) without any problems and still well within MOT limits for a cat car although not obliged to meet them!!
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post: