Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter wheel swap 22" to 20" - Go to Volvo or not?

Views : 1338

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2018, 13:09   #1
crip010

Default Winter wheel swap 22" to 20" - Go to Volvo or not?

I have just sold my Land Rover Discovery 4 and am now the very proud owner of a 2017 XC90 D5 R-Design which is lovely.

I am looking forward to many years of Volvo ownership, my last Volvo was a 740 GLE from 1988 so its been a while and they've changed a bit.

My car is on the 22s which actually I never wanted but the car had everything else I wanted so I have bought the 20" R Design wheels and some Michelin CrossClimate tyres which have the snowflake on them so I can go to Austria skiing.

My question is Volvo recommend taking the car to them to have it told it has different wheels on it but having looked online on forums + spoken to wheel guy I bought the new rims from this seems to not be necessary as the whole wheel with the different profile tyre is the same size.

I wanted to post a specific question and see what peoples view here as I don't want the car to not be right as I'm quite OCD but I'm also not really in the mood to give Volvo money for nothing.......In the USA lots seem to run winter rims with different tyre sizes and they don't seem to take them into Volvo.

I also don't know if I will sell the 22s or keep them as a summer set so don't want to have to go in everytime I want to swap.

What do people think?

Thanks in advance
crip010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 13:58   #2
Lexman8
Premier Member

The consensus seems to be that it's unnecessary to have the dealer re-calibrate the system when you swap wheels as long as the overall circumference remains roughly the same. I swap twice per year (but only between 19" and 18") without any problems. There was a suggestion that a dealer re-calibration also altered the steering response in some way but I don't know if this has been shown to be true.

Input your different tyre sizes here to see what difference it makes: https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 15:18   #3
crip010

Thanks Lexman8

I tried tire size.com and got -0.3%

The circumference really is not an issue 90mph reading the car will be doing 89.7 so I think that's all good

My worry was with the pilot assist stuff as I do a lot of long European driving and I feel the pilot assist will get used a lot and I want it all to be safe.

If I swap the wheels just don't want to have to pay twice a year and have to deal with all the booking in and waiting at the dealer.

Any one go from 22 to 20 or any other opinions.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 20:21   #4
Driver Dave

I go from 20's in summer to 18's for the winter. Bought a set of rims and tyres with appropriate size of tyres, there is next to no difference in circumference so speedo is still accurate. Cost less than £1000.00.

Swap them over myself, keeping the alternative set in the garage when not on the car.

Simply requires a TPMS recalibration at each swap over, no need for any involvement from Volvo.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 22:02   #5
crip010

Thumbs up

Thanks Driver Dave,

Its good to hear this from people swapping as Volvo just give you the fear that something will be wrong.

I'm fairly good with cars but as they get more computerised I do feel slightly out of my depth but a wheel is a wheel and I can't see any issues but as I say its good to hear from people who have swapped with no pilot assist issues
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 09:59   #6
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crip010 View Post
My worry was with the pilot assist stuff as I do a lot of long European driving and I feel the pilot assist will get used a lot and I want it all to be safe.
I use PA whenever possible/appropriate and haven't had any issues.
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 22:32   #7
crip010

thanks for advice
MY17 XC90 D5 Powerpulse R Design, Black, Xenium, air suspension, CarPlay, BLIS, Winter, Family pack 7 seat climate, Heated Rear Seats, Power Cushion Extensions, Tinted Windows, tow pack, 22" Wheels, ipad holders

Past: 1988 740 GLE estate
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 20:39   #8
PaulBendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
I go from 20's in summer to 18's for the winter. Bought a set of rims and tyres with appropriate size of tyres, there is next to no difference in circumference so speedo is still accurate. Cost less than £1000.00.
Are you able to share specifics in terms of where you got the rims from and whether you stayed with alloy went to steel? Mulling over going from 22" to 18" or 19" for the wet (mainly) and cold reason. Dealer quoted £1400
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 23:53   #9
MaDProFF
Master Member

I was quoted from a dealer £1890.69 inc for 322590083 19" 5 Double Spoke matt Black Diamond Cut with Nokian WR SUV 4 Tyres 235/55 R19 I did get a decent discount off that from the dealer, some Volvo good will, and some dealer discount to £1535.00 Fitted.

I came from 21' the only calibration was the TPMS they showed me how in Sensus, and was told when I swapped back that was all I had to do.

got to say impressed with rims and tyres, although not as good looking as the Lower profile 21's but still look good on my car being black
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 23:57   #10
crip010

Thats interesting as the width is surely different on the 19s to 21s.

It all points to just changing and doing nothing apart from TPMS
MY17 XC90 D5 Powerpulse R Design, Black, Xenium, air suspension, CarPlay, BLIS, Winter, Family pack 7 seat climate, Heated Rear Seats, Power Cushion Extensions, Tinted Windows, tow pack, 22" Wheels, ipad holders

Past: 1988 740 GLE estate