Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 windscreen bonding failure

Views : 31810

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2015, 21:23   #21
s1monc

My wife has a 2009 model V70 which had exactly the same problem. Noticed water on the front passenger seat and damp carpet causing inside to steam up. Leak was coming from top of windscreen. Have used Comma seal n seal for now which has stopped the leak but will have to remove screen and rebond soon. She has had car from new and it's the original screen.
s1monc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2015, 15:13   #22
844PHW
Master Member

The other day I noticed a small amount of water running down the inside of the windscreen and then realised that the front footwells were saturated. Having read this thread I knew instantly what the problem was. I booked the car into the dealer for apparently a two-day job. The windscreen bonding had failed along the top edge. The windscreen had to be removed, cleaned-up and re-bonded. Hopefully, things are ok now. I had to pay a 50% charge with the rest being a "goodwill" contribution.

The point to note is that it is not just early cars that this problem can occur on.
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 20:49   #23
wombat37

Thumbs down And now a MY12 XC60 (D5 AWD Automatic)

A few weeks ago I noticed the odd drip coming from the top side of the passenger screen which over the weekend has also resulted in a pool of water on the passenger side of the car.

This just isn't impressive given this comes on top of the XC60 automatic gear box Neutral to Drive jerk software problem which was denied for over a year before a customer focussed dealer ship in the South West made us aware of a technical bulletin & was something our local dealership in Horsham weren't aware existed and then charged us to correct.

The sad thing was that I was just about to buy a new XC60 and that now relies on how well Volvo and Doves Horsham resolve this latest problem

Last edited by wombat37; Jan 30th, 2016 at 20:53. Reason: Adding vehicle details
wombat37 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wombat37 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 18:27   #24
Thrustyjust

Filled the sticky above, but seems when we went out in the car this morning, we had a reasonable trickle down the drivers side near the pillar and a smaller amount on the passenger side near the pillar. Not sure if it is related, but have always heard a wind whistle at speed since we bought the car. I have pushed the screen up from the inside and it does flex outwards. I checked it against my Focus, which is solid and no movement at all which is what I would have expected on the XC to be honest, with the windscreen being a structural part of the car. I guess being 5 1/2yrs old, it will end up being out of any goodwill gesture, even if the windscreen is original from build. I will email Volvo UK and see what they say about it .
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2016, 09:32   #25
ajsimmo

Thumbs down Another Leaky 2009 XC60

I've just joined the forum specifically to comment on this issue.

After reading all the above posts, it quickly became apparent to me that the 2009/2010 XC60’s seemed to have an inherent problem with the windscreen bonding.

Obviously I have the same problem as all the posters above and only noticed it during heavy rain with water running down the inside of the windscreen.

Thinking back, inside the screen had been full of condensation on quite a few occasions prior to my discovery, but I had put it down to wet dogs and wet dog beds in the back.

After reading all these posts, I think I'll start checking the passenger side foot well on a regular basis.

I had a quick chat to a windscreen repairer (he was fixing another unrelated car windscreen) and he said I would be better off intentionally damaging my windscreen in order to get a free replacement through my insurance! A sad indictment on today’s society.

Anyway, I may just try some clear bathroom sealant before I fork out more money, (I paid £900 a few months ago for a replacement AirCon compressor!!).

Last edited by ajsimmo; Feb 10th, 2016 at 09:34. Reason: Spell Check!
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2016, 16:30   #26
Voltan

I have posted an account of my water ingress on the associated sticky thread but this is the problem:

Last week, I collected my car from the dealer after servicing and noticed a single bead of water, internal, at the top of the windscreen on the driver's side. As the head lining was not wet, I presumed it had come from a wet cloth or whatever during the after-service valeting. I hadn't noticed any more evidence of water since but today, a small stream of water appeared running down inside the windscreen as I parked up at home after being out. The puzzling thing is that it was not raining then but there had been a short light shower about two hours earlier. There was no water evident when I got in the car to start my journey home.

Could this water has been trapped somewhere and percolated through after a period of time due to vibration at the seal while the car was being driven?

On reflection, the water I noticed previously at the garage must have arisen from them washing the car. I wonder if the car had been put through a car wash and the pressure of the brushes has broken the seal? I have never seen water on the screen like this before, whenever I have washed the car, even with a power hose or when driving out in rain.

I shall visit the dealer on Monday to discuss and hopefully resolve the problem under warranty, before any water damage ensues, though it might be tricky to convince them there is a leak.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 13:46   #27
Voltan

My car goes in tomorrow to have the factory original windscreen resealed. The leak is very small, only occasionally in wet weather has water run down the inside of the screen. If I slide a piece of kitchen towel up under the lip of the head lining after it has been raining it only sometimes gets wet.

I emailed Volvo customer services who were not very supportive and did not offer to contribute despite being asked, if the screen should break while being removed, which my dealer thinks is very likely. Volvo simply claimed that my dealer has the correct instructions for removing the screen and there should be no problem.

My car has just past 5 years and has a new Volvo extensive care warranty which sadly is not extensive enough! So I could be £500+ out of pocket for what appears to be a manufacturing fault. This could have been leaking from new but only now become evident. Needless to say, I am not impressed and this has tainted the ownership which until now has been a very pleasing experience.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 14:23   #28
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltan View Post
My car goes in tomorrow to have the factory original windscreen resealed. The leak is very small, only occasionally in wet weather has water run down the inside of the screen. If I slide a piece of kitchen towel up under the lip of the head lining after it has been raining it only sometimes gets wet.

I emailed Volvo customer services who were not very supportive and did not offer to contribute despite being asked, if the screen should break while being removed, which my dealer thinks is very likely. Volvo simply claimed that my dealer has the correct instructions for removing the screen and there should be no problem.

My car has just past 5 years and has a new Volvo extensive care warranty which sadly is not extensive enough! So I could be £500+ out of pocket for what appears to be a manufacturing fault. This could have been leaking from new but only now become evident. Needless to say, I am not impressed and this has tainted the ownership which until now has been a very pleasing experience.
Volvo are correct in saying there should be no problem removing the screen. The dealer is wrong. Are they looking to make more profit?

I'd find someone who is confident in their ability to remove and replace the screen.

Roy
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 15:15   #29
Voltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Volvo are correct in saying there should be no problem removing the screen. The dealer is wrong. Are they looking to make more profit?

I'd find someone who is confident in their ability to remove and replace the screen.

Roy
Perhaps Volvo are right but the screen should not need removed in the first place. No car I have had ever, over the past 40+ years, needed a windscreen replaced.

I am confident my dealer is not trying to rip me off. They have followed Volvos instructions but still have had windscreens break.
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 21:58   #30
Voltan

Smile Let it rain...

Good news today! My dealer has informed me that they have successfully removed and re-bonded the windscreen. I'll collect the car tomorrow and hopefully that will be the end of the problem. They had had a two breakages recently while removing screens and Volvo UK had acknowledged to me that breakages can occur, usually if there are chips in the screen already, but wouldn't contribute to the cost of a new screen. It seems that Volvo in other regions (Greece, USA) have done so, according to some reports I have read online.

Interestingly, before I took the car in this morning I 'phoned my car insurer and having explained the situation and the risk of breakage during repair, they affirmed that they would cover the windscreen replacement less, of course, the excess. That was welcome reassurance so I will definitely renew with them next year.